Unit 70 Antlered Deer

elkcaller208

I was lucky enough to draw this hunt I was wonderin what to expect as far numbers and quality of Bucks in this unit any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.

nothing personal whatsoever. but this sure is getting old with people asking this same question about every controlled hunt in the state. i know you're just looking for a little info and what not, but to be honest, you're best bet is to seriously just go scouting! then someone will help you out with some advice i bet!

Had the tag last year. Bigger bucks are on private unhuntable ground. Bad genetics, lots of big 3's not many 4's. I ended up with a 25" 3 point. Never saw anything very great. Had a big winter kill 2 yrs ago that wipped them out hard. I backpacked in and camped to hunt. Not impressed. They had a 4 or larger reg on the unit for years that created the big 3's.

I shot a 24" 3 point 2 years ago. The unit does not live up to the hype overall. But there are some great deer on public, they will take a lot of time to find, or a little luck.

didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers.

but how about, ANY OTHER TOPIC IN THE IDAHO SECTION?!?!
obviously these specific posts are not what interests people on this forum as they hardly, if ever, get replies. most of the time the answer is "there is good bucks out there but you just gotta look hard to find em" or "yah theres a few good bucks on the private land" and that will be the only reply. thats groundbreaking info isn't it!

that's just what i meant by it gets old. people obviously aren't showing interest in these posts as they get passed up by other threads on the board quite quickly... sorry!

I have no problem helping out fellow hunters if I can. Those types of questions are a big part of this site and I hope people dont get discouraged by negative replies. If you dont have any info. to offer than dont reply its pretty simple.Wish I could help the OP but I have no knowledge on this unit. Good luck with your hunt.

I cant give any more advice as my season wasnt that great. A 25" 3 isnt exactly big. Told what i knew. Besides, those deer move around so much and never stay in one area over there.
I know alot of people that didnt fill tags. And ya, the big bucks are on private, they arent dumb. One monster was shot on private ground by a kid with a land owner tag.
I'll keep that in mind though for you in the future. 'You' would like help, count me out. Your on your own i guess stud.

jeez. i think people are misinterpreting what i'm getting at.
i posted that in regards to people that draw some random tag, create a username and ask about their hunt. most of them won't even scout. am i wrong? it is often one of their first posts. then, if they are lucky, someone replies and helps them out and then you never see a comment or post from them again. members are starting to realize this and that's why they rarely, if ever, get replies, and the thread then gets pushed to the wayside rather quickly. you don't/won't see me asking for help or info from people until it's obvious that i'm not just gonna take it and then run...

not that your post count really matters, because a lot of people just read and learn rather than post (which is fine and i do often) but your post count does show that you are interested enough in the site/hobby to not only soak in free info, but to also help provide it. if i knew anything about unit 70 and thought this guy would be a contributor to the site, then i'd gladly help him out. i don't mean to cause an uproar or jack this guys thread

Good luck on your hunt. Hope you find a good one. That last week i think is the best.

I hunted it in 2008 the first year it was controlled. I'll send you a pm next week when I get back from vacation with some help.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom