unit 70 Deer

BE CAREFUL ABOUT BURNING 4 POINTS IN 70 ABOUT NOW.....2007 WINTER KILL WAS BAD. A GROUP FROM MY TOWN WENT IN 2008....IT WAS SAD........YD.

Go figure, I was told my one of the guys at Huntin Fool unit 70 still had a ton of deer, not affected by the winter kill three years ago.

THIS GROUP I AM REFERRING TO SCRAMBLED TO KILL SMALL 3 POINTS THEY ALWAYS PASS ON. A COUPLE FELLAS SHOT NOTHING, DEAD DEER WERE SPOTTED DAILY........YD.

the success rates did not drop off that bad was every one just filling tags with young bucks? it is a large unit with some lower stuff did not think the winter kill hammered them or is it just getting shot out?

to many small bucks,need to go three point or better there.not hard to fill a tag there.

Hunted unit 70 after burning 15 points 4th season on 61 in 2008.Drew this tag with 0 points (resident). Must say didnt see many deer. In 5 days hunting seen 80 deer with 4or 5 forkies. Seems most people road hunt..... would not burn any points on this hunt...

I'm in a similiar boat. I figured with that many tags and such a huge unit there outta be some decent deer on it. I called the huntin fool about it and Adam and his brother actually hunted 70 last year. They saw alot of deer and killed a 190 buck. He mentioned seeing 20 bucks and 100's of does the last day. He said it would be a great unit for 160-170 class 4 pts especially with 2010 season dates.

From the sounds of it I don't know how 70 could ever have a major winterkill with all of the low winter range!

I have 3 pts and it's definitely on my list, but it sure makes me wonder when some of you guys don't do well at all there!

I've heard alot about the winterkill, but I didn't think it effected unit 70? I've also heard from more than 2 sources that unit 70 is a quality unit, good numbers, and some 170 type deer with potential for bigger.

every one has there opinions on almost every unit! i am in that same three points pool and was looking hard at this unit. the big magazines have mentioned this unit alot the last few years but lets face the facts 500 people are not gonna shoot 170 class bucks and there is always gonna be some disappointed hunters . there is a lot of things to factor in weather, hunting pressure what people were expecting .alot of units in the state are a roll of the dice all you can do is take what info you can get make your choice and hunt hard .lets bring this post back to the top in november and compare notes again.

I hunted this unit 4th season in 2009. I saw tons of deer but no big deer. I shot the biggest deer I saw by a long shot and it was mid 170. Most of the hunters I saw on the unit were drooling over this deer. They said it was much bigger than anything they saw during their hunt. There were a few bigger deer (180 class) on the private land south of DCB but nobody could hunt there. I had fun on the hunt and think it has potential but not for the points it takes. There is enough land that many of the deer could go unseen. The later dates could make the 4th season good. In short, I think 160-170 is possible but most people would be disappointed with this hunt.

We usually hunt the 4th season and if I remember right you need 7 or 8 points? We hunted elk the same time as this deer hunt a few years ago and we never saw or came accross a quality trophy buck and fewer elk than normal too. I would have to agree with most everyone's post about the quality vs the points needed to draw.

I am burning mine....good or bad! for the 3rd!
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom