Unit 70 deer

fullthrottle

Very Active Member
Headed there for the 3rd season. I've heard that it has hit its peak, faded, and then sounds like maybe is slowly coming back. I know it's not know as a heavy hitter as far as trophy bucks 190+, but there has to be a few running around right? Or am I dreaming. Not looking for areas, just hoping to get some insight from someone that is familiar with the unit on the potential quality that is there. Does the area have good genetics? I would think with that high of a buck to doe ratio that there has to be a few giants running around. Thanks for any response. PM are great.

If there is a good amount of snow on the one Lone Cone, hunt down low in the sage and PJ. Otherwise you need to hunt the high/in between country. PC

Hunted in 70 for 5 years in a row now with different family. Never have seen a 190. I own some land there so I am in the area quite a bit. I would say 160 is realistic but even that is not a gimme. Way less deer than even 5 years ago it is an even other year tag for residents and that is about the quality of it.

Thanks for the replies, 160" huh? That doesn't sound very good, but kind of what I expected to hear. Guess I will get out there and make the most of it. With a 30/100 buck to doe ratio you would think there would be a few bigger bucks running around. Figured the unit had the genetics to produce good bucks.

I hunted 70 during the 4th season last year, and had very little snow. Best buck we saw was 180ish and the guy with the tag passed on that one hoping for better. He ate his tag. Your one hope: pray for snow. On those rare years which happen every 4-5 years, you could smoke a big one. Wish I could predict those years!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Ya, looking at the long range forcast it looks like 2nd season is going to be warm and dry. Hopefully it gets that crap out of its system, and by the 3rd season it just dumps.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-17 AT 09:43AM (MST)[p]Im headed to 70 nov 8 till the end of 3rd season. Im not going for a monster at all. Any advice would be appreciated

Haha, I think you about summed it up. Awesome country, and lots of it. Actually kind of frustrating to see that many deer and not see any big bucks. I'm sure there are some absolute monsters in there, but the mid elevation country is so big and thick good luck. Then it seemed most of mid elevation huntable country with some open terrain is private. I wouldn't burn 4 points to hunt it, no way. Definitely not a shortage of hunters. I ended up shooting a spindly 26" 4x4 the last 10 minutes of the last day. He was by far the best buck of the 40-50 I looked at over the course of the hunt. If you would be happy with any buck, then it would be a great hunt, but if your holding out for a big one, you'll probably be disappointed. Of course I was only there for the last few days and it was 60 degrees, so my opinion of the unit isn't worth much.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom