Unit 70 ELK Help

robinsg61le

Hi Gang,

I will be bringing my Dad and Uncle over to unit 70 for the Oct. 12th, either-sex Elk season. Dad has never killed a bull and my uncle has never killed an elk. I won't be hunting. They are both in their sixties so we'll be limited as to where we can go.

We will just be meat hunting, looking to fill tags... not looking for trophies, or even bulls at all. We are coming from Oregon so we won't have much time to scout. Can anyone help us out? Thanks for considering.

Ok my disclaimer here is I am a nonresident from
Arizona and I have never hunted elk in unit 70 but I do own property nearby and spend some time in the summers there. Since you're hunting early I can only assume the elk will be generally around the same area they are during late summer. The area I see most of the elk is either private property or rough/steep/high country. Maybe the locals can chime in but unless you can spend money and hunt private property then plan on hunting some high ground between Telluride and Norwood which is all high ground or private. I like to hike around in the Lizard Head Wilderness and always see and smell the elk sign but I don't see many elk.

>Ok my disclaimer here is I
>am a nonresident from
>Arizona and I have never hunted
>elk in unit 70 but
>I do own property nearby
>and spend some time in
>the summers there. Since
>you're hunting early I can
>only assume the elk will
>be generally around the same
>area they are during late
>summer. The area I see
>most of the elk is
>either private property or rough/steep/high
>country. Maybe the locals
>can chime in but unless
>you can spend money and
>hunt private property then plan
>on hunting some high ground
>between Telluride and Norwood which
>is all high ground or
>private. I like to hike
>around in the Lizard Head
>Wilderness and always see and
>smell the elk sign but
>I don't see many elk.
>Have you seen many deer in that area? I have a muzzleloader tag for 70. I am heading there Sunday.
Don

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom