Unit 74 Archery Mule Deer

inarcher

Good day.

Planning my second attempt at Colorado mule deer with a bow. Starting fresh with zero points and this unit is at the top of my list. Problem is, my list is derived from "on paper" research, not real world scouting.

Would love to hear from those of you with experience in the unit. This would be an early season hunt above treeline. If water availability is not an issue, would likley be backpacking in several days at a time. Probably plan the hunt for ten days or so of actual hunting. Won't be holding out for a monster, but will be looking for an area with a realistic chance of arrowing something in the 150"-160" range.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Yes, I did hunt Unit 61 last fall. "Murphy's Law" best describes that experience. I saw some decent bucks. Passed a 60 yard shot at a 160 class 4X4 with some trash on opening morning. Just wasn't in my effective range with a bow. Turned out to be the best opportunity I would have. Can't honestly say I even saw anything much bigger?

It was very hot and dry. The deer were primarily nocturnal. The heat had the aspens stress shedding leaves early. Sounded like walking on potato chips. The vegetation was so tall that spotting feeding deer was difficult...let alone bedded animals.

A medical emergency back home midway through the trip was the final straw. Had hopes of a return trip towards the end of the month, but it didn't materialize.

Several folks on this site suggested I hunt either high desert or high country instead. I should have listened. I've hunted elk in the high country before and enjoyed it....so that's where I'm concentrating my efforts next.

You can do well in 74, I hunted their 06,07,and 08 and I will be their again this year. Have seen some very nice bucks their and maybe a hog or 2. Couldn't make it last year so I am eagerly awaiting this coming fall. Get in the best shape you can, even the easy stuff is hard their.

Thanks for the responses.

I realize the high country in 74 is quite demanding. I won't say that doesn't concern me...as I have developed a sensitive left knee over the past couple years.

Not certain the high country is the best choice physically for me, but I don't want to get in a similar situation as last year in 61...where glassing was virtually non-existant.

Riding a bike alot these days...both for cardio and knee therapy. No swelling in the knee since Christmas. I've dropped 21lbs so far this year, with a goal of 35lbs by summer.

Not getting any younger. That's for sure!

Paul

Am I looking at the draw odds correctly? It shows unit 74 is a 100% draw for non-res and only 30 or so people applied?

It was 100% draw for 1st choice applicants (23). Another dozen NRs drew as 2nd choice.

I burned all my points last year...so a zero point unit is a priority. You might be surprised how many there are to choose from...

Paul

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom