Unit 76 archery

G

Gravy

I'll be applying for the 2010 archery hunt. Got the maps ready and am starting all of the fun stuff around planning a hunt. We will be DIY, no horses, have an ATV if needed and will be ready to hunt out of the truck or spike camp. Any ideas and suggestions on where to start would be great. I'm from Wisconsin so a scouting trip is not possible.

Have you got the points? It takes at least 7 nr to get in for archery , check out some posts from last september in the colorado section and you will know where to go.... high.

We have 12 points and have seen all the pictures posted by Rocketman - awesome. I have been talking to outfitters, wardens and the forest service for ideas and no doubt up by treeline is the area. I am hoping to talk with guys who hunted here recently to get certain areas of the unit to focus on. Any ideas out there?

Archery hunting up there during the time Rocketman is up there and the amount of elk that is there, I wouldn't care if I got a shot or not.
It would be a super hunt,IMO.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

If I had been applying for 13 years and finally was ready to go on this hunt I would find time for a scouting trip. That would just make the hunt that much better. Come through on I-80 and pick me up I will go with you in late August.

I'm coming from Montana and have the points too. I'd like to get in on this thread and ask:

1: Which part of the unit is Rocketman in? I think his pics must be from the West side.
2. Is there cell coverage anywhere in the unit?
3. Is there a good place in Creede or South Fork to re-supply utilities. I.E. water for truck camper, dump station, Archery shop for emergency situations, etc...
4. I'll be spike camping while using my truck camper as a base camp and don't want to step on any outfitters toes. Does anyone have details on the different outfitters and where their camps are. Again, I want to stay clear.
5. What's my best option for 300+. I'll have two weeks on the ground there with one focus. 300+.

I live Montana and run 20+ miles a week. Am targeting 2.5 to 4 miles in for spike camps and then hunting 5 to 7 miles from the trail heads max.

I know nothing about 76 except what I've figured out on MM.

1) Rocketman WILL NOT provide details.

2) The elk are "breaking through" the snow drifts in Mid-June to get into "his" basins. I'm thinkin I'd be looking for ground at least 12,000 feet up.

3) It'll be an outstanding experience if you get there.

4) Realize there are elk lower, maybe easier to hunt archery and it only takes one.

Good Luck in the draw and on the hunt.

Creede does have a grocery store. Water can be found all over and at some of the campgrounds. I personally think the higher you get, timberline is the place to be. There are elk all over that unit and you should have no problem locating animals. Don't know about archery shop in Creede but there is one in Pagosa.

Thanks Fellas,

Definitely plan on spending most of the time at Timberline. The fact there are lot's of elk is good but I'm really trying to hone in on 300+.

Is a 4-wheeler worth while?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-10 AT 08:07PM (MST)[p]Yes to the 4 wheeler ,some of the roads are slow going in a truck but you can NOT take them off the roads.Yes you will find 300+ bulls but getting one is another story but at least they are there.As far as outfitters go most of them horse pack in and if they didn't you paid your dues ,hunt where you want with proper respect.It's a huge area pressure from other hunters should not be a issue. Elk are all over the unit but try this for a good start,co.DOW,bigame,left side of page links,GMU maps,mapit unit 76,click game maps do a elk summer over lay,pass on the pearl lakes area my taxidermist hunted it last year said the elk were very average at best.Good luck have fun and get your butt in shape them is BIG mountans there. Did it 4 years ago, hunt of my life but I horse packed in 11 miles so my spot won't do you much good.But I don't think a horse is nessary to hunt there but for old guys it's shure nice to pack out.

Thanks Stillhuntin.

Will do regarding respect with the 4-wheeler and other hunters. Being from Montana, I know what it's like to see people going where they shouldn't with ATV's and moreover squating on my hunting camps.

Great tip on the summer range. That map overlays well on the areas I've been researching. If you're willing, I'd like to know where you packed into. I've got two weeks so 11 miles isn't out of the question.

Thanks again!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom