Unit 76 early rifle hunt a bust

M

MuleyHntr

My father is 64 years old and has been building points for over a dozen years, but with almost no chance of getting one of the premium units Colorado has to offer, we did some research and discovered the new season in unit 76 for early rifle. Talking with many different people, we were told that a 330 bull was very possible and decided to draw the tag. A scouting trip in July turned up tons of elk in every open park, but no monsters. A week long scouting trip during the muzzleloader hunt proved to be the same results. We packed in five days prior to the opener to get a good idea of what was possible. Saw one bull that might make the 320 mark but dad wasn't impressed or willing to burn that many points for a bull of that quality. The herds are broken into very small groups and most are being herded around by 260 class bulls. Due to the high altitude of this unit, most of these elk migrate into units 75 and 751 which is unlimited 2nd and 3rd season tags for bulls and has wiped out the quality. We talked with 3 different outfitters from the unit and found that the larges bull anyone had taken during the archery and muzzleloader season was a 307 bull. We turned the tag in the day before the opener and will be looking elsewhere to get dad a trophy of a lifetime. So glad we spent so much time in the unit and didn't burn the points. I talked to several hunters that wanted even bigger than a 330. I'm sure that most will be disappointed. quantity of elk is great, but 280 class bull is more like a realistic goal for this unit.

Bummer, but under the circumstances, I think that he made the right decision. I'm 67 with 16 points. If/when I finally draw, I don't think that compromise will be an option. I'll eat tag soup first.

Before you die.....Take time to live

Best of luck to you when you finally draw. I would for sure make trips to the unit to hunt cows or just scout during the year prior to your hunt. I wouldn't take any ones word on the quality without seeing it first hand. I live in Utah and it seems like most people that go out see a 380 plus bull every time they are in the field, but when I get to those same areas, they seem to be 40 to 60 inches smaller. I had some tag soup here in Utah with 10 points burned, but I hunted 26 of 29 days of the season and enjoyed the hunt. I wouldn't choose that unit again for archery, but it was a wonderful experience even though the quality wasn't there.

" I talked to several hunters that wanted even bigger than a 330"

They obviously did not do there homework before applying for the hunt.A 330+ Bull can be taken there but to hold out for one is not realistic.
Just because it takes 10 points to draw a unit doesn"t mean it's full of trophy Bulls especially in Colorado.

FINALLY someone posts something realistic about 76! The talk is always big and there are some fine bulls in there...but it's amazing how a true B&C tape can bring the average Joes "Monster" back to reality.

Fine choice in saving your dads points! Best of luck to him in the future. That is the 3rd tag so far that i have heard of being turned back, so he's not alone.

It's all part of the experience Clarke!!!

seen alot of 330ish bulls that coulda been killed with a OTC archery tag.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-10 AT 11:51AM (MST)[p]Great post. As Earthman said, finally a post that paints a true picture. A certain photographer who is worshiped on this site has painted a truly unrealistic picture of the unit and many if not most of the points that have been burned on this unit wind up being a big disapointment. Muley good on you for turning the tag back in, hold out for a true trophy unit. 76 is not the unit most would like to belive.

Yeah 76 is a crappy unit. Everyone please waste thier points else where.

Do you really think that the OTC guys shoot every bull in the unit? Good grief, what flavor koolaid are you drinking?

You want an easy hunt for a big bull, pull out your checkbook and have at it, or go to UT. :)

Bambistew, I live in Utah and spend almost a hundred days a year in the field as well as burned almost a dozen points for an archery hunt here in Utah to hunt the Beaver unit. Saw only one bull over 360 during that time and we had a total of 162 man days on the mountain during 29 day season. Never drew my bow as I only wanted to harvest a 360 or better or tag soup. Love my soup as I'm not going to be one of the guys that contributes to the decline in the herd. I just made the post about 76 to give the viewers of MM a real idea of what to expect on their hunt if they decided they wanted to burn their points with better expectations. I'm sure there are a few good bulls that survive the unlimited rifle tags in the 2nd and 3rd season of the areas that these elk migrate into, but I will guarantee that I won't be spending my dozen points for a unit with OTC quality bulls. 3 tags out of the total of 17 draw tags were turned in and I have talked to 4 of the others that are hunting and they wish they would have done the same. Bet the 6 landowner purchased tags are in that same frame of mind as well.

You had me at the 5th word.

Decline of the herd because you didn't shoot a 360+ bull? Are you high, or do you only hunt for the 'inches'? Most bulls will die of old age and never grow that much antler on thier head in in UT.

76 sucks for sure I wouldn't waste your time in CO period if you expect to find a bull the size you're after. The NE corner would also likely be a big disapointment for you. I a few people that have hunted it and were very glad to have killed 330-350 class bulls they did. There are very, very few bulls in the state that will make B&C in any unit, let alone 330 bulls behind every bush. CO is not managed like UT to have elk die in the woods just so a lucky few can shoot a really big one, and I sincerly hope it never goes that way.

From the sounds of it your dad is in the same boat that many are... lots of points but not enough to draw a premier unit. Waste the points and build a memory. There are plenty of people that would give thier left you know what to shoot a "dinky" 320 bull, I sure as heck wouldn't pass one up. Why are people so hung up on 'inches'? If you can't find a record class animal then its not worth the effort? Got to love the what the 'sport' has turned into.

Again, there are way too many elk in that unit, reguardless of where they winter/get hunted later in the season for there not to be a few stud bulls running cows. I've been in quite a few OTC units in muzz season and have seen some dandy bulls rutting it up. They don't all migrate, and 2nd and 3rd season is hardly a migration hunt.

If CO is such a crap hole stay in UT and hunt elk there... Oh thats right, you either get a once in lifetime bull tag, or get to shoot spikes... Yet a 320 bull isn't worth the effort?

Got to love Utardia.

I remember when a 300 bull was considered big, now a 320 bull is considered small? A 320 bull IS a bull of a lifetime, especially in CO and on public land. If I saw an honest 320 bull anywhere in CO, it would be dead.

The bigger bulls in unit 76 are on the northern side. Prong Creek, Mesa Mountain etc. The southern portion has the San Juan herd. North is part of the Lake Fork herd. A lot of 300 class bulls come out of the San Juan herd, you just gotta go into the Weminuche a little farther. I agree that a 320 or for that matter a 300 bull is an awesome acomplishment in Colorado or anywhere for that matter. Whatever.

You need to look into saving up and having him draw area 10 or 2. I know both areas very well and a 330 plus is very reasonable. I've seen multiple bulls dead and alive in the area that surpass the 350 class.

If you are looking for a B&C elk I would agree this is not the unit for you. I have spent countless days afield in this unit and the biggest bull I have ever seen over the past 35 years was about a 360 type bull. I have hunted on one of the most famous ranches in Colorado for big bulls but that hunt does not compare to hunting 76. It is the most scenic, rough, and remote country I have ever hunted in Colorado. When you go into the furthest reaches of this unit and get up to timberline I don't think there is a finer place to hunt elk. To me this is more important than the size of the horns allthough I do try to hunt for the largest bull I can find which is normally around 300.

Shot a 300 class bull in 76 with my bow this year and am now back in Montana. I have a good friend that has a 360 and know of two other 400+ here that were taken with archery. All these bulls wer taken archery hunting areas that are bonus pt draws. ~8 pts at this time. All these hunts were exciting but after discussing with the killers were not near what I experienced in 76. I saw over 1000 elk and had bulls every day. Bulls everyday, bugling, countless draws, and elk waking me up every night. (One bull barked for ~2 hours at my tent and I was ready to throw an arrow at him. I found/smelled his piss pile 20 yards from my tent the next morning.) The guys I referenced in Montana hunted individual herds and never left a 5 square mile area. I was able to cover 4 different mountains and gladly hiked 70 + miles. Spent time in the one of the most beautiful areas I've ever hunted and believe me I've been in the best parts of Montana. After 10 days I smoked my bull and am totally satisfied. The hunt was one I will never forget. I'm lucky to hunt in Montana but will long for 76 until the day I get back there. For those that are willing to work for it, unit 76 is a dream!

I too was impressed with Roy's pics which led me to apply for this unit. I had a great hunt and harvested a really nice 310" bull on the 7th day (The biggest I saw). I didn't have the experience that backcountry had but did find a bunch of elk and got into some good calling. It might have been because of the time I went but that was the only time frame I could go.

It is some of the prettiest country you will ever hunt. The aspens were just turning and the abundance of game is simply amazing. I saw about every animal you can think of including 26 bighorns, tons of deer, called in a bear to 20 ft and some moose. One thing is for sure there are a lot of elk there. BUT I experienced what a lot of people were saying and that is the unit is not known for big bulls. I went in thinking with that many elk there has to be a 350 bull running around. Not the case for me. After 7 days I found the biggest bull I could find and put an arrow in him. I was lucky and very happy.

With all that said it took me 10 years to draw that tag. There was no way I could wait for 61, 2 or 10 which I heard holds bigger bulls. I'm here to tell you that I wouldn't hunt this unit again if I had to wait another 10 years to draw it. MAybe 3-4 years but definitely not much more. In colorado it's tough because that is the no mans land in points and you don't have many options. I think you can have the same experience in lesser known units and not have to burn so many points to hunt them.

Again I had a great experience and did like the scenery. But the scenery is like that in most places in Colorado.

Here is the bull I was able to take on the hunt.
IMAG0021.jpg

P1160145.jpg

It

Sorry that you have such a sour taste for Utah folks and think that we are spoiled with all these big bulls dying of old age. it tells me that you spend a lot of time on the couch reading way too many magazines and don't burn much boot leather in Utah. Here is some current info from someone who does hunt for the inches when the tag allows. Tag numbers in Utah are three to four times what they were in the last five year management plan (2005-2009). We no longer have bulls dying of old age and are quickly making ourselves into units that will be much like Colorado, but you just won't get a tag but a couple of times in your life. So, yes I did want to get my father a great bull and I talked to numerous people who had been in the unit over the past five years and was told that a 330 was possible and 350 would probably be the top end. We spent lots of days scouting and had many camera's on the mountain only to be disappointed and that is why we turned in the tag. A 320 is a great bull and in some units, I would be all over it. I've taken bulls like this often. I don't get down on anyone who wants to take those bulls or even anything legal. I just wanted to post here to let others like me be aware not to burn their points. For anyone who wants to see tons of elk with beautiful country and take a 300 class bull, this unit is for you. It will be a hunt of a lifetime and the elk with bugle nonstop.

Bugler,

That is one dandy bull and one to be proud of for sure. Congrats and hope to see you in the field some day.

The difference between a 320 bull, and a 340 bull is 1.67" per tine. People are too caught up with numbers...

The trophy is in the eye of the beholder for sure. I so wish that I could go back to my younger days when I was just happy to see a bull and put a tag on him. I grew up in Colorado and went years without filling a tag. As I got older and learned about scoring animals and starting hunting states where truly big bulls lived, I walked up on many bulls that had ground shrinkage and I didn't like the feeling. I learned to score bulls and score them well on the hoof. I love to see these majestic animals in nature, but unless he is a true trophy in my eyes, I would rather let him live while I photograph and video him hoping that he will live to grow to his biggest potential. I get to work with many outfitters in my line of work and I've had the pleasure of seeing many 360 plus bulls hit the ground and several in the 400 class. They are a true site to behold when you walk up on a bull like that and I'm holding out until I can get bulls like that of my own. Go big or go home is my philosophy which leaves lots of bulls out there for people who don't care about trophy quality.

>The difference between a 320 bull,
>and a 340 bull is
>1.67" per tine. People are
>too caught up with numbers...
>

Personal preference..... Some people enjoy shooting the first bull they see and then go home. I like hunting to try and find the biggest bull around. If I'm so lucky to harvest the animal then great. If I run out of time and don't harvest that's perfectly fine too. I then just enjoyed my time to the fullest doing something that I love to do and that is enjoying the outdoors.

You are probably right that some people are too caught up in numbers but that's there choice not anyone elses. Good luck to those in search of a monster and to those looking to fill the freezer. We are all out there enjoying what we love to do.

Good luck in your up coming hunts and look forwarding to seeing you guys on the mountain.

IB

I am with Idaho on this one. I will not shoot a bull that is not very close to what I want. I have hunted in the best units in New Mexico numerous times and passed bulls that most would die for, it is what I want to do, dont question it. I would never question what someone else does. Now, the size of the trophy is relative to the area. IE, 76 is NOT a trophy unit. The Colorado division of Wildlife no longer manages it that way. It has been a game management unit for 7 or 8 years. Yes, as some have said, there are large number of elk and some migrate south and some migrate north. Weather plays a critical role in this unit because of the elevation and with a good snow last night you can bet most are coming off the top. Now because of this weather it is also not an easy unit to hunt for those who dont have considerable time to not only learn the unit but in the event of weather know where they will move. There are many who have spent a great deal of time in this unit including the easy areas as well as far in where most will never go. We know it well and more often than not know where they are going to be. I am not saying we always kill. There are 320 to 330 bulls in the unit with a rare larger one but I bet the average kill is less than 270. I am not trying to BS anyone, just painting a closer picture than what some have presented. I dont care how many apply as I have access to land owner tags every year, so say what you will about my motives, I dont care. Have a great hunt where ever you are hunting and remember it is not always about the kill or the size of the kill but about what each hunter wants.

This is a good thread. I have heard most stay around the large herds when hunting Elk there. Never been in the unit but my guess is there are out of the way and tougher to get to basins to get into that because of the easier access to the other hreds people don't hit too hard. Anybody have any expeince with those areas????

I should be able to draw a Muzzy tag next year and am thinking about it...

I agree that 76 is not a trophy unit but i think it is a good quality hunt. I try to hunt 76 every year and I always see nice bulls. The terrain is rough and you better be in shape and be willing to walk a long ways. I have not killed an elk yet but i am picky on what i am looking for. Just remember its MY tag and its fine with me to eat tag soup. Thats a nice bull Idaho!!!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom