Unit 76 vs 40 non resident elk.

My dad and I have 20 points saved and are wanting to hunt sooner rather than later. We had originally planned to try and wait for a unit 61 tag, we have spent a fair amount of time in the unit, but with point creep we still might be another 5-10 years worth of waiting. We’re trying to be done playing the point game and seems like unit 40 or 76 would be good option. Unfortunately we haven’t spent any time in either unit. We are open to DIY and guided. I have read and searched the forums for information on these unit but I’m interested in hearing from anyone on their thoughts or experiences. Or if someone knows a better way to spend 20 points I’d be open to suggestions. Thanks!

Unit 40 would my pick.. if you can swing it go guided. DIY 2nd or 3rd can be solid hunts if you’re willing to climb in and out of some of the nasty canyons. 76 is a fun hunt but realistically killing a 300 inch bull is a tall order much anymore. Unit 40 is on average a 300 to 340 bull type hunt with a chance of a 350 plus.

Unit 40 ONLY if you can swing $$$ for private land/ outfitter and can wait a year or two on a waiting list. Trying to find a good bull on public can be frustrating. To spend that many points and not have a chance at a bull would be frustrating.

So, assuming you are DIY: go to76 and you will have a great hunt! Go see lots of elk and kill a 280-320 bull

It all depends on what you’re looking for. 76 Is more of an experience hunt in my opinion. It’s probably the coolest elk country you will ever be in. However if I was looking for a better trophy quality 40 would be my choice.

I spent a couple days in 76 in Oct - buddy had a tag and only saw one good bull (in a hellacious spot). Lots of little sub-300” bulls. Awesome country though.

Unit 40 ONLY if you can swing $$$ for private land/ outfitter and can wait a year or two on a waiting list. Trying to find a good bull on public can be frustrating. To spend that many points and not have a chance at a bull would be frustrating.

So, assuming you are DIY: go to76 and you will have a great hunt! Go see lots of elk and kill a 280-320 bull
Not exactly the case… pretty common to see a lot of bulls on public land come November it’s more a matter of being willing to pay the price of getting to them and packing one out of where the bulls will be come November

Seems like the general consensus is 40 would be better. We are not expecting a record breaker but I think we would both prefer to have an opportunity at a bigger bull if possible. I have not extensively researched outfitters but it appears as though there are a couple that seems to be named pretty consistently for unit 40. The guides prices on 76 seem much better in the pocket book lol.

You better be in prime shape and willing to pack bulls with backpack out of nasty places in 40. The cliffs and thick brush can be a challenge. I stay in great shape year round and not sure if I can handle 40 any more. You better have lots of days to figure spots out and pack meat. I would suggest breaking your hunts into 2 years. 2 bulls in that country would be a nightmare!

Not exactly the case… pretty common to see a lot of bulls on public land come November it’s more a matter of being willing to pay the price of getting to them and packing one out of where the bulls will be come November

I guess I was letting my bias show. If I am going to spend 20 points for an elk hunt, I want it to be a rut hunt in September/early October. Certainly the late seasons in some deep Canyons in 40 can produce good results and a bigger bull than 76. Jims knows what he is talking about.

You better be in prime shape and willing to pack bulls with backpack out of nasty places in 40. The cliffs and thick brush can be a challenge. I stay in great shape year round and not sure if I can handle 40 any more. You better have lots of days to figure spots out and pack meat. I would suggest breaking your hunts into 2 years. 2 bulls in that country would be a nightmare!
Ya you make a great point. We fortunately are both in good shape. We did 12 nights worth of backpack high country deer hunting and probably 30-40 miles of hiking this seas, but dealing with 2 bulls in the thick stuff is a different story. I think we would choose DIY we would be likely to break it into two years. Or maybe hunt two different seasons.

If it were me I would break it up into a couple years. It usually takes me a couple weeks to recover from that hunt. My son and I have enough pts to draw any season in 40 but holy smokes it’s a lot of work and time to find, shoot, and pack just 1 bull out of that country. You may also run out of time with 2 tags. The private on top is easier but you better get your wallet out.

I had a unit 40 tag in 2021 and had a good hunt but it was one tough grind. I’d be happy to answer some questions if you want to send me a pm.

Thinking about burning my points on a 76, 2024 early rifle tag, hiring horse help and camp help if needed. I know the bulls aren't giants, but why not? Seems the wilderness experience is worth some of the points. Not sure how far out Frazier is? Any other recommendations?

Thinking about burning my points on a 76, 2024 early rifle tag, hiring horse help and camp help if needed. I know the bulls aren't giants, but why not? Seems the wilderness experience is worth some of the points. Not sure how far out Frazier is? Any other recommendations?
IMO there's also something to say about hunting desert bulls too.

Need to get about 6 friends in their mid 20’s to help pack out your elk. Spent 3 days 2 weeks ago packing my bull off a mountain with a friend (I am 60 and friend is 58 years old). 4 miles up into the wilderness with 2200 foot elevation gain with ups and downs. What a workout!! Still exhausted from it. Starting to rethink future bull elk hunts.

If you've waited 21 years to get that many points book an outfitted hunt on private in 40. It will probably be a 2 year waitlist anyway. Use that time to chip away at the payment over the 3 year period so it's not so bad. No way I'd waste 20 points in unit 76.

If you've waited 21 years to get that many points book an outfitted hunt on private in 40. It will probably be a 2 year waitlist anyway. Use that time to chip away at the payment over the 3 year period so it's not so bad. No way I'd waste 20 points in unit 76.
How many would you waste?

Biggarstaff outfitters and Trophy Class outfitters are the ones with a lot of private land.

Biggarstaff posts their trophy photos on their Instagram page.

Trophy Class Outfitters used to post on their Facebook page but they don’t do that any more. The ones on their web site are a little old.

Sorry,need to correct myself again. You couldn’t draw third rifle but you could draw 4th. These old eyes with cataracts having trouble seeing the small print.
It took 23 points for third rifle.

I drew that tag with 10 points I think in 2015.

I had a unit 40 tag in 2021 and had a good hunt but it was one tough grind. I’d be happy to answer some questions if you want to send me a pm.
Interested in early Archery in 40. Would hunter competition & lack of Bulls on public land be the situation? Or is the Public deep enough to get back in away from traffic ? Descent 5x5 would make it a fulfilling hunt for me. Thoughts ??

Interested in early Archery in 40. Would hunter competition & lack of Bulls on public land be the situation? Or is the Public deep enough to get back in away from traffic ? Descent 5x5 would make it a fulfilling hunt for me. Thoughts ??
I had a third season rifle tag so I’m not sure how good my info would be. But most of the better archery areas would be on private. I’d think it would be a tough hunt for the most part.

Got Cha. 15 pts pondering best area for bull quantity & low archery pressure. Paying top dollar for Outfitter not an option. Thanks for info.

76 vs 67 area for Archery if unguided

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom