Unit 76

C

Colo

My father and I have been acumulating points for a RFW elk hunt but they droped the number of tags from 8 to 3 and it went from 8 to 12 points. We're now thinking about applying for unit 76 but have never hunted it before. He can't get around very well does anyone know if this unit is very forgiving for older hunters?

There is decent access in this unit with 4x4 and atv roads. I wouldn't say the unit is forgiving for older hunters. A lot of this unit is at high elevations and can be fairly steep. Add in the possibility of an early snow and this unit just became unforgiving. There are a lot of elk in this unit and there are some good bulls, but rarely do I see them from a main road unless it's through the spotting scope. Hope this helps.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-09 AT 08:38PM (MST)[p]
pm me, a relative hunted it a few years ago.

just got back from an archery hunt in 76...have to agree with your last reply. There seems to be a lot of elk and very good access with ATV roads. However, most of the elk seem to be up high and you need to get away from the trails to see or get a good shot at one. Now that may change quite a bit in the rifle seasons as the elk descend from the high country. Haven't been up there until this year so I can't comment on that. But I can't see how you would go wrong in this area really. I would get some opions from the rifle hunters and see what it looks like then....Good luck! D

I have hunted this unit twice with a first rifle tag and unless there is a significant snow the elk stay up high as long as they can. Once it does snow they do start to move but its not like they will be standing next to the road unless you are very lucky. Both times I drew this tag I did kill nice bulls but I was miles from any road.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom