Unit 7W, 8, 9 and 10 camping/road restrictions

ClarkW

Just a reminder to everyone that will be visiting the Kaibab National Forest this year for a family camping trip, scouting trip or hunting. Last year they made it illegal to camp more than 30 feet off a roadway (except a few designated camp spots). They also made it illegal to be on many roads that have existed for 50+ years. They aren't even posted closed, you are suppose to stop by the offices and get maps of the roads you are allowed on.

By following their rules, if you camp in a trailer, you will have to parallel park it along the roadway to meet the 30' law. Think about the possible dangers of that!!! They will be strickly enforcing it this year (their words), so be prepared for some hefty fines if you get caught.

The idea behind this was a national push to restict cross country travel and new road construction. Innocent enough right, well the Kaibab NF just took it too far with their own rules. I encourage you to make your opinions known to your elected officials and wildlife organizations if you think this is obsured and unsafe. Its the only way we will get it changed. Don't think this won't effect you if you spend anytime in units 7W, 8, 9, 10 or 12A. Last weekend, they had a plane and helicopter out along with several law enforcement officers enforcing it. 30' is hardly any space at all!

This is the "Travel Management Rule"

It is not in effect yet on the North Kaibab (12A). I was doing a little research on the closure situation for 12A and found the USFS poc for the project. They are still trying to decide which option they are going to go forward with, so it may not be until next year before anything on the North side of the ditch gets implemented as they do not want to implement a plan in the middle of hunting season.

JB

Ya the Kaibab Forest service has pretty much declared martial law. I agree there needed to be some changes, but going from open country pretty much everywhere to enforcing entrapment is pretty messed up. I'm ok with closing a few roads, but in my opinion the roads should be ground up and re-seeded to promote new vegetation. The least they could have done was put a road closed sticker on all the new signs they put up a few years ago. To make things even worse the maps they put out are mis-marked. They show roads to be open that have been closed for most of my life.

>This is the "Travel Management Rule"
>
>
>It is not in effect yet
>on the North Kaibab (12A).
> I was doing a
>little research on the closure
>situation for 12A and found
>the USFS poc for the
>project. They are still
>trying to decide which option
>they are going to go
>forward with, so it may
>not be until next year
>before anything on the North
>side of the ditch gets
>implemented as they do not
>want to implement a plan
>in the middle of hunting
>season.
>
>JB

So it is in effect south of the canyon?

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom