UNIT 8 FOR DEER

goinhuntn

Was wondering what you guys think of this unit for deer. I have hunted this unit for elk and will be back this year for late rifle. I know there is elk in this unit, and I have seen deer.
I usually hunt 16a or 17b, but I am thinking about this unit for deer this year. Don't need any honey holes as I know the area pretty well. I just don't see that many deer, but maybe cuz I am hunting elk and not looking for deer. Would it be better down in the junipers or up higher? Thanks for any advice

There's definitely some good bucks in the unit, both high in the pines and low in the junipers. The problem that you're gonna run into is the hunting pressure. With something like 600+ tags and not many places to get away from people it gets pretty frustrating. Personally i would pass on the mule deer tag, those little whitetails are a different story though...

Lots of hunting pressure in the unit. Deer are in all elevations and vegetation types in the unit though. Most success is in the pines. They live in all the same areas as the elk, so if you don't see many that should give you an idea of the hunt. If your going to try it, I would stick with mule deer. There are much better populations of coues in most units that offer a hunt for them.

UNIT 8 HAS NO DEER LEFT. I'VE KILLED THEM ALL. LOL

That is by far my most favorite deer unit in the entire state. My family going all the way back to my Great Grandfathers have hunted that unit and I can't count the amount of bucks we've taken out of there through out the years.

I'm putting in for it first choice and 20A second.

Good luck in the draw.

http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_13010.jpg[/img][/url]

I quit hunting 8 years ago because of the hunting presure. I had a little buck run by me with his jaw shot off so before he got away i gut shot him as he ran over the hill. Then I heard two shots and as I topped the hill there was an elderly man standing over him pointing to the dears jaw. " that was my first shot" then he pointed to the bucks belly & said "that was my second shot" I said yap you got him. Aint been back since.

i hunted that 2 years ago in January Bow season was hard did see a nice buck with about 20 doe 600 yards away and a lot of Elk was fun hope to get on one this year but thats hunting!!!

Shouldn't have had to much competition in Jan since there hasn't been a late season in that unit for several years!

I hunted 8 last year. Best I found was a Elk shed. I did read that Unit 8 has had the camping regs changed by the forest service. Something about no camping past 30 feet of any road. I could be wrong, just something I heard.

>Shouldn't have had to much competition
>in Jan since there hasn't
>been a late season in
>that unit for several years!
>
Might wanna look at the regs again...

Ouch! My bad, they slipped 8, 9 and 19A back into the late hunts and I didn't catch it. 8 can actually be a pretty fun hunt late, The deer magically appear again !

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom