Unit 87 For Deer ????

MITROLL

Me and my brother were thinking of burning our 3 pts for mule deer this year on a DIY hunt. We are non res from Michigan and Virginia. According to Wy G & F this unit has an 88% chance of drawing. I don't want anyone's honey hole. Just any general info would be helpful. We will have to scout and hunt at same time. Info on deer #s, size, etc would be helpful. Would this unit be worth burning pts on? Is there sufficient public land and access in this unit? We are not looking for monsters just decent 3x3's or any 4x4s. I know its the same generic Non-Resident questions but any help is appreciated. We may even be interested in paying small trespass fees to reputable landowners. Thanks again.

This unit is good for local guys who can scout a lot. There are several large ranches that many big bucks congregate on. I was not able to get access, though I had a lot of fun glassing the nice bucks! The Ferris Mountains are a tough hunt; fairly steep and rugged. Let us know how it goes.

Well now that Huntin Fool picked this as their no. 3 spot in the state for mulies, the draw will get a little tougher!

No knock on Garth and the boys ( Hell, I'm a subscriber )but I always cross my fingers that the units I hope to draw aren't on his list !

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-10 AT 03:20PM (MST)[p]I agree. I have had way better hunting in a few other units that will remain numberless and nameless. ;-) I wouldn't spend 3-4 points on unit 87.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-10 AT 06:09PM (MST)[p]Didn't mean to get you guys all riled up. I get to go west once every 2 to 3 years so I don't think I am going to put too much of an impact on the deer herd in your areas. Sounds like it might be a little rugged for a flatlander from Michigan. I didn't look at huntin fools stats or rankings. I looked on Wyomings site for units that had good public access that I could draw with 3-4 pts. I also subscribe to Eastmans and they picked this unit as a blue unit. As a non resident you don't have many choices except for word of mouth, magazine publications, outfitters, the internet or go with someone who has been there. Thanks to you guys for your input. Brian

3rd best unit in the state?

I don't think so!! Or at least, i hope not!

I along with my hunting partner drew this area this past season and between lopes and bucks, put in 3 weeks hunting. I never saw what i call a good buck and my partner who really burned the boot leather and knows what he's doing, didn't either. We both took mature bucks, nothing to write home about, and i worked hard for a 80" lope, but to say that this area is worth max points and is 3rd best in the state, tells me someone is playing a joke, or, just how bad the Muley hunting in rest of the state must be.

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-10 AT 06:02AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-10 AT 05:59?AM (MST)

Thanks for that info. Do you think a tresspass fee would do me any good if I could locate one in that unit. I'm beginning to wonder if the pt game is worth it. Is there any units worth 3pts.? Brian

I think it just represents the state of deer hunting in Wyo right now! If you look at huntin fool thier top picks only mention 170 class bucks in the top units and they recommend the points only game for big bucks until it gets better.

I was in H last year and we hunted 2 weeks with the best bucks being marginal 170 type bucks. We were with residents and horses to go deep into the wilderness too. I think they are dead on when it comes to the state of deer huntin in Wyo. It's a sad deer herd right now!

Brian, I don't think anyone is ''riled up'' just being candid in response to your question. Mule deer hunting is no where near what it was , or should be, in Wyoming and thats why most guys question almost any unit choice. That said in almost all circumstances a tresspass fee on quality private will give you a big advantage - in any unit. Also, you left out some key sources of information - local sport shop guys, the local G&F biologist, the local BLM biologist, and the local warden. I'd take those 4 over all the rest combined. Good Luck. Chip

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-10 AT 11:31AM (MST)[p]I agree with HuntinElk4fun. It's not that any of the units mentioned here are so bad, it's just that you are burning 3 precious points and taking yourself back to ground zero! 3 points is not that far from the top. With time and a little patience those 3 points could turn into a great trophy hunt... but it likely won't be in 87 this year.

If you watch and understand how preference point systems work, you'll see that some of the best hunts that take 3-4 points this year will likely take 8 points 5 years from now (this is not always the case... but unfortunately-too often the case).

Deciding to spend your precious preference points this year is a huge risk... Deer quality continues to be down from the winter of 07-08. In a few years things may turn around... I'd like to have near the max points when they do, not a memory of a mediocre hunt back when numbers and quality were way down... Just my opinion... Happy hunting to whatever you decide.

Sounds like the general feeling is that don't burn up 3 pts yet and don't burn on a mediocre unit. That sounds like good advice. My other problem is I'm getting the itch to come out west hunting. I quess I could always get into a general draw area and be happy with taking a lesser deer and just cherish the time afield. My other thought was to burn the pts and start over but that might screw me in the long run if a lot of guys are hanging onto max pts. Thanks again for the info. I did get in touch with Game and Fish. They sent me a landowner list. Brian

You could probably get a left over tag at least for whitetails if you decide not to put in for the draw. I just read the new huntinfool & they still recommend holding on to your points, i have 3 as well. The problem is if the state doesn't reduce the number of tags for both residents & non, it could be many years for the quality to improve if at all. Just think how much the tag will actually cost! Lets say the quality doesn't improve over the next 10 years, how much money will we have wrapped up in PP's & the cost of the tag?? I'm sure the license fees will go up by then too! Just something to consider when banking points.
7 Mag

I spent 2 weeks archery hunting up on the range and was disappointed from what I remembered from the 80's there. I also am getting older and don't think I'll hump up there again regardless for deer. Rifle hunting maybe but not archery up high again.

Pat C.

I drew unit 22 Ferris Mountains for elk this year. I know the unit fairly well and have seen some good elk. Did you hunt on Ferris at all during your deer hunt? See any good elk? How much pressure was on Ferris?

I drew the Ferris Mountains (unit22) for elk this year. I know the unit fairly well and have a good idea on the quality and numbers. Did you see any good bulls on Ferris. Any info would be helpful. How much pressure was on Ferris?

I drew unit 22 Ferris Mountain for elk this year. I have completed tons of research and know the unit fairly well. Do you have any info that might benefit myself? How much pressure did you see on the mountain? Any good bulls?

The deer hunting on Wyoming's public lands is not good. The deer herds are poorly managed and I do not see it changing. Game and Fish has somehow convinced themselves that all is well and to "stay the course" so nothing will change in the foreseeable future. I have lived here for 34 years and it gets slowly worse each year.

I still hunt deer in Wyoming, but have not killed a good buck here in a long time. I have not shot a buck here with my rifle since the mid 90's. I also hunt Colorado every year and Alberta when I can. I also apply for quality areas in Nevada and Utah.

All of that should tell you about the quality of deer hunting in Wyoming. There are big bucks on private ranches, but the public hunting for mule deer should not be a priority on any serious buck hunter's list.

Too danged bad it is that way, and I would do anything I could to change it.

Thanks ICM deer. I had applied for unit 89. Just so turns out that my hunting partner came into a lot of financial problems and will have to back out. We are withdrawing from the drawing. I'm pretty disappointed in both his financial problems and not being able to go. Big bucks or not. It's probably too late to get someone else too go. I would have to apply for a leftover tag. Thanks.

you can expect to work hard for a 150 deer, there are a couple big ones that are taken each year. There are just as good or better deer on some of the general units around this area.

I've seen better than 150 class deer in 87. Some of the general license area's around there do have similar quality deer which is why you have nothing to lose putting in for 87. If you don't draw, then go pick one of the general license tags...

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom