Unit 9 Mount Taylor NM

muzzletim

We drew a alternative muzzleloader hunt for Oct. 15-19 at mount taylor! Was wondering if anyone has hunted the area and how they felt about it?

muzzletim

I have hunted and worked in unit 9 extinsevly. Elk numbers are generally down from a few years ago, but it shoulden't be to hard to find one. This unit is not known for "big" bulls, but there are is a decent bull to cow ratio. I would say that a bull grossing 350 is pretty much on the higher end with most mature bulls falling between 280-300 range. One thing I notice about unit 9 is that there is a higher number of mature 5X5 bulls than any other unit I am familiar with in NM, must be the genetics.

Where are you from?

You drew the same hunt that I did!

CJW

Hunted this unit w/bow for 4 straight yrs. now.Theres one bull thats been there in this same canyon all these many yrs., seems to elude me every time.Hes a 6X >325-330 bull.Seen some cows,in the high elevation ,hunted low ,seen track,full moon was out, so it was a different story come day light. For ML try around Antelope Flats towards the power lines ,though they wonder @ night ,they head back to private land just before day light.

It used to be one of the top units in the state for elk numbers. They have just hammered the unit with cow tags. They finally cut them back this year.

There are still some elk there, but it is not even close to what it used to be. VERY SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the guys that I know that had hunted there for years, have all bailed to other units.

Thanks for the info! I have scouted it for about 4 days! I usually just get up early and drive out for the day. I live in Albuquerque so it isn't to bad.

I have seen a few around the Ranger Tank area. also some by the boundaries of the Floyd lee ranch!

I have been really surprised that I haven't heard any bugling to speak of.

muzzletim

Ranger tank is a good place, especially just to the west and north along the rim overlooking the Lee ranch. Del Dado canyon is another good place to look as well as Antelope Flats and east to the Elkins' under the powerlines as previously mentioned. Just for kicks you could check San Mateo Mesa west of the highway. There is Forest Service land on Jusus mesa only about 1/2 mile behind the alfalfa sprinkler that Floyd has set up near his house!

Good Luck!!!

FYI, I'm from Los Lunas

whats up man yes you drew a good one there man I have
Hunted that area about 5 years now if you really want a bull
my suggestion to you is get as close to the floyd lee
and take your spotting scope on the tops of the baldies
and glass the rolling oak brush flats and rolling hills those elk love walking through that stuff in morning and late
evening that method has never let me down as a bow hunter
imagine with a muzzle loader in mount taylor remember
your binos good luck hope the info helps.

Again I want a thank everyone for the useful information! I am always amazed at the friendliness of hunters! I drive a a gold Tahoe, so if you see me or need anything or wanna chat be sure and stop, can't wait for Oct. 15 - 19!!!!

Muzzletim

Muzz- Hunt_C and I will be in either a red F-250 or white GMC 2500. Good luck you should get into some.
nmelk13

Well just returned from the hunt! Didn't get one but found sign in all of the places mentioned. It seemed as if most had been pressured into the Floyd Lee Ranch! Seen one dead bull taken by some young hunters, small one. The few we did see were on the San Mateo Mesa!!

We also found an illegally taken spike bull, someone just shot it and left it laying by the road! Really a waste!How did the rest of you do?

Muzzletim

We went 2 for 3 this year. I should have bagged one but could never get a shot off. We saw bulls everyday but not many cows maybe 2 or 3 a day. I talked to a few hunters that hadnt seen an elk...

Had a great time and took two medium sized 5X5 bulls. One interesting point is that both of the bulls were nearly compairable in antler sixe, but one was defenitaly much older. The molar teeth on one of the bulls were significantly worn and had severe points. I suspect that Elk wear their teeth similar to horses as they are both grazers and by my guess these bulls were proppbably about approximately 4 and 8 years old respictively ( not exact on the ages but you get the idea). This is just more data to support my oppinion that unit 9 has inferior genetics as a fully mature Bull should have at least a 6X6 frame. I can understand the younger bull having a samller frame and in fact his antlers had started to develop a 6th point on one beam.

nmelk13 and I glassed some of the best country in this unit hard for 4 days and only saw one 6X6 bull, that was "decent". We saw defenately more bulls than cows. Elk numbers are way down, in fact this is the fewest Elk I have ever seen while hunting Unit 9 in the past 10 years! NM Game and Fish has drastically reduced the herd in this unit. There are no reported depridation problems in this unit and when I questioned the department at a comission meeting a few years back as to why they were letting so many ES and Cow tags, I was told it was for "trophy" Managament. They felt that is they removed cows from the unit it would reduce competetion and allow the bulls more available forage for antler growth. It looks like GM&F has gotten this ratio in line for trophy production, but something is missing, the Trophy class Bulls we had in the early and mid 90's!! I would rather see managament geared towards an increase in numbers, the more bulls there are the more will senak off into the rough country and grow up, like they used to! 10 years ago I would have nearly guaranteed a hunter willing to work hard a 320 class bull in this unit, now I wouldent bet a dollar on being able to see one anywhere in the unit, Floyd Lee and L-Bar included!!!!!

Instead of offering more cow hunts GM&F needs to have Spike and 5X5 season only!

hey there

sent me pic! will like see ur hunting buddy's bulls! congrats to them! too bad u didn't have clear shot!

vinihunt :)

I just talked to some friends that had the late muzz cow hunt, between 7 hunters they saw 7 cows and 1 bull...
nmelk13

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom