Unit 94 Antelope help

O

ocara19

My friends and i drew antelope tags in 94. It is our first time hunting antelope in wyoming. We understand there is private and public land. First, how do we get a landowners tag (or any other "OK" from the state) so that we are clean to hunt?? Second, we want to be respectful and not get ourselves in trouble. Do you guys have suggestions of how to approach this area? I know road hunting is essential but that also means being legal. We are visitors to your backyard so im just trying to cover my bases. Thanks!

There are several people in the Evanston area that I know write out the permission slips. Vance Broadbent and Jonsey Fern. There are probably a few others. I know there is someone over in the Bridger Valley area. (Mountain View,etc.) You better be getting on it. I know Jonsey guides for elk this time of year and Vance will never answer his phone. My suggestion is call someone in the cattleman's association ??? to get names. The local game warden might be a good source for names. His number is 307-789-3285. It's almost a "go to their home and knock" kind of thing. you feel intrusive in the process. I think there is a hidden agenda going on here involving future plans but time will tell. Otherwise they would make it much easier to get this permit. Good luck on a fun hunt.

There is plenty of public land in that unit with lots of good bucks. Why mess with private land?

There is a lot of BLM and private land mixed together, and very few fences. The Cattlemen's Association has banded together, and if you plan on hunting these areas, you need their "permission". So far this piece of paper has been free. You can enter this area via BLM roads but once you're out there, you don't really know if you're on BLM, Railroad, private, etc. It's becoming a rat race, but unless you want to take a chance on being hassled, you better pick one up. It's apparently all legal, because they are doing it. I haven't seen anyone, but have talked to people that have seen entrance roads with check points. A large chunk north of the freeway and south of the railroad tracks used to be open to hunting. Not any more. Some years ago they stretched cable across access roads and posted it No Trespassing. Most of that area is probably private, but it all looks just like the rest of the unit. I've talked to Fish and Game, when hunting out there, and as of a few years ago, at least that officer wasn't checking for or enforcing it. I've spent many, many, days, and nights out there, both in and out of season. I don't like it, but will do what I need to, to be able to go out there as long as possible.

Read above in my first post. I had to actually go to these people's homes in the evening and knock on their door. We did that mid summer so we could feel comfortable just driving around out there pre-season scouting. Again, you might call the game warden to get more names. Sorry it's such a pain in the butt.

Sorry, i didnt realize you were the same person...i called the Green River office and they were going to fax me names and numbers. I never got that fax...im still trying. Ya we are headed up friday afternoon to talk to people and figure out where we can and cant go. If you have names and numbers please pass them along...if not i understand.

If you want to play the permission slip game fine. I buy the chip for my gps and it tells me within 3' of where I am whether there is a fence or not. Pretty hard for a rancher to argue with that. I guess I resent the fact of ranchers trying to shut off BLM land. Saying all this I did get the free pass 2 years ago and then had every hired hand flag me down to check it out and visit. They know the land well but most couldn't tell you a 12" antelope for a 17" lope. Just my opinion.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom