Unit Questions please help

southslope82

As you all know the application periods are not all that far away I have researched what I can and would like your help in making some decisons my questions are.

1. I am a non resident looking towards taking a 24'' Mule Deer Buck or bigger are there units that I could "REALISTICALLY" do this in for only applying 2-3 years for a rifle/anyweapn tag? If So Which ones? Time is more the issue for me in drawing rather than killing a trophy.

2. I also would like to start applying for a quality Elk unit were I could have an opprotunity at possibly a 340 plus type of bull with out having tremendous luck what units would you suggest? It wouldn't bother me at all to hunt hard I am not looking for a walk in the park.

I would be grateful for any help if I can return any favors for you about UTAH Questions let me know I would be glad to help.
thanks

Southslope,

You can realistically take a 24" mule deer buck on a leftover tag, any of the western slope units will do. With 2 or 3 points I would set my goal higher than 24". Just do some research and you will be on your way.

Rich

Really!! If I was to wait 2-3 years what would be some units to eyeball for deer? What would you raise the bar as far as size? I am not looking for an easy hunt where I could kill something off the road I am more than willing to hunt my guts out but would like to get into an area were 24'' bucks are not like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

IMO, You can kill a 24" buck in ANY unit in CO if you get off the road and spend some time, and have a little luck. In some instances you can probalby kill much bigger.

Good luck with your elk quest... There are probably more 340 class bulls in one LE unit in UT than the whole state of Colorado. :) Lower your standards a little, and look into the Muzz or archery hunts in the limited entry areas. Get away from the roads 3-4 miles and you'll find elk.

I admit I am a little spoiled living in Utah for the Elk part of it. People feel like a 340 bull is really less than average and think that they should get into the 370 range and higher for limited entry hunt not all people but alot of people, But its just the opposite for deer I am just trying to make a few more options available to have a few more chances at killing a mature buck can anyone suggest a unit#? What season?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-08 AT 06:36PM (MST)[p]You need to do more research on your own before you can expect any useful info. start here:

http://huntodds.monstermuleys.com/

click on Colorado, then species and nonresident and then click search. that will bring up all the hunts and how many points it takes for any unit for all seasons.

Then go to the Colorado Dow website and look up big game statistics. that will show you how many hunters hunt each unit and what the success rates are:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/

As alluded to above, Deer has been a great success in Colorado due to the draw only in every unit. However, drawing a unit that would give you a decent shot at a 340 bull will take you 10 plus years to draw. Sure they can be had in almost every unit out there, but they are few and far between.

Look up posts in this section by Rocketman about unit 76 by Rocketman. For example: http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID32/632.html

A very conveted tag that would take you probably 10 plus years to draw, and he does not see that many 340+ bulls there.

Good luck in your quest

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

txhunter58 Thanks I did not know that there were links on Colorados wildlife page were you could look at horn measurment statics, population estimates and such that comes in very handy I appreciate your help

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom