Units 171-173 deer tag available - take it?

npaden

Okay, Just got a call from Nevada Fish and Game and they said they have a Unit 171-173 deer tag available if I want it. Hunt date October 5 - 20.

This was my 4th choice on my application, but looking it up on the draw odds this is a very hard to draw tag.

I need to call them back by the end of the day and tell them if I want it or not.

I'm really not in a position to do this, just got home from a week in Wyoming and have some deadlines coming up at work on October 15th, but if this is really a special tag then I might be able to make it work somehow.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Nathan

Looking at the draw odds some more the early hunt which is what those dates are for is 4.0% odds for no preference points but with 4 or 5 points it gets way up there to 80%+.

Harvest success rates were 26% on the early hunt last year for residents with only 31% of those being 4 points or better if I'm reading that right.

I have a place in New Mexico that I can hunt sandhill mulies on my terms 100 miles away the first of November using a landowner type tag that would fit my schedule better so I'm leaning toward declining the tag.

If I'm making a mistake please let me know ASAP.

Thanks, Nathan

Decline, decline, decline. It is truely not worth the hassle. Hunted there 2 years ago, never say anything to break our backs over.

~Jason Peterson
Mossy Oak ProStaff

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."~Jack Kerouac

See thats where the odds sometimes just dont seem right to me. My uncle, and all three of his buddies drew that same exact tag, all with zero points and all seperate apps, not a party draw. I have personally never hunted it so I couldnt say one way or another, but for all 4 of them to draw seperatley with 0 points, I would say its not that good of a unit. and I definately wouldnt burn any points on it.

Thanks for the quick responses. I called them back and declined it. Pretty hard to try to line up a hunt 1,100 miles away on that short of a notice especially if it isn't a great tag.

Now if they had called me up and said they had a sheep tag I'm sure I could have made it work!

If you were looking for a great tag, you made the right choice. I've hunted it multiple times and I would call it just ok. We've killed a couple of good bucks in there, but they are the exception. A good unit for below average bucks. I personally would take the tag if they called me, but I'm only 7 hrs. away.

Don P

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom