Units 76 elk and 74 deer.

utehunter

Very Active Member
I was just wondering if these unit are good ones to draw i Think i will hunt both. The deer hunt is going to be in late aug. or early sept. with a gun. And elk with a bow and muzzle loader. I was just seeing what are other people thought on this units?

I hope you have some points, because that early Rifle tag in 74 is in September and takes about 8 pts for a resident to draw. 76 archery takes about 7 as a resident and 76 muzzleloader takes about 10 as a resident.

those are excellent high country units, with great trophey potential. BUT nothing besides altitude sickness will come easy on those hunts. If you did those hunts back to back, you would really be putting some miles on the boot leather, I wouldnt spend those deer points on a high country hunt unless you could really put some scouting time in this summer.

>Not in the state draw you
>can't draw 76 every year
>or can you hunt there
>on your reservation tag

No I wish my rez. tag covered that area then I will have 2 bucks and bulls tags for there but one will do for now.

74 early rifle used to be an exceptional tag, but is just an OK tag now because they increased the number of deer tags they give out in the rest of the seasons. 76 has the numbers, but just doesn't seem to have the extra something to get really big bulls. Both require long, steep packouts.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

indian. does not have to draw. no weapon restriction either. i think he had a sheep and a goat tag in 2009

Tribal members cannot hunt in 76 unless they draw a state tag and there is no way you can draw a muzzleloader or archery tag in there every year. UteHunter if you did not go on your goat hunt, then I don't think you want any part of 76's terrain

LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-09 AT 08:20PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-09 AT 08:18?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-09 AT 08:13?PM (MST)

>Tribal members cannot hunt in 76
>unless they draw a state
>tag and there is no
>way you can draw a
>muzzleloader or archery tag in
>there every year. UteHunter
>if you did not go
>on your goat hunt, then
>I don't think you want
>any part of 76's terrain
>

Who said I didnt go goat hunting? I went busted my a$$ off passed everything I seen.Cause the dumb archery hunter didnt know what the hell he was doing an running them animals all over the place dumba$$. And went back didnt see any thing big enough for me. And yes we can hunt them units look it up buddy! Are u the guy from the pawn shop?

>Don't worry i think old utey
>is just trying to get
>everyone worked up.

I can hunt them units every year they are in are agreement. And I will try them out next year will let u guys know how it is.

are you coming on here to rub it in that you can get these tags every year? this sounds like abuse of that damn brunot agreement to me. WE NEED MEAT TO SURVIVE THE WINTER WHERE CAN I SHOOT THE BIGGEST TROPHY ON THE WINTER RANGE. WHAT A BUNCH OF BULL BUTTER!

Looks like the Ute's gave up about 1/6 of the Western slope of Colorado for a few tags. See below.

http://www.fishingrssfeeds.com/node/6327

In 1874, Congress approved an agreement between the United States and certain Ute Indians in Colorado, known as the "Brunot Agreement". Under this agreement, the Utes ceded certain land to the United States but reserved a right to hunt on those lands for "so long as the game lasts and the Indians are at peace with the white people." The Brunot Agreement covers land now known as the Brunot Area, which roughly extends from U.S. Highway 160 on the south to the southern boundaries of Montrose and Gunnison counties on the north and from the middle of Mineral County on the east to just west of Cortez on the west.

Since 1972, the Tribe has refrained from exercising its rights in the Brunot area but, after a recent decision of the Southern Ute Indian Tribal Council, the Tribe now plans to allow tribal members to exercise their rights under the Brunot Agreement. Prior to exercising those rights, however, the Tribe and the Division of Wildlife worked together to develop an MOU in recognition of the parties? shared responsibility for the well-being and perpetuation of the wildlife resources and habitat of the area.

....The MOU includes agreement regarding the types of species to be taken and a process by which allocation of rare game species such as moose, bighorn sheep, and mountain goats will be equitably allocated between tribal hunters and hunters licensed by the Division of Wildlife. There are currently 1,431 members of the Southern Ute Indian Tribe but, on average, only 225 members obtain deer or elk licenses annually for hunting on the Reservation. Importantly, the Brunot Agreement does not give members of the tribe any rights to hunt on private land in the Brunot area without first obtaining landowner permission and Brunot hunting rights are not transferable to other hunters who do not belong to Ute tribes.

>are you coming on here to
>rub it in that you
>can get these tags every
>year? this sounds like abuse
>of that damn brunot agreement
>to me. WE NEED MEAT
>TO SURVIVE THE WINTER WHERE
>CAN I SHOOT THE BIGGEST
>TROPHY ON THE WINTER RANGE.
>WHAT A BUNCH OF BULL
>BUTTER!

The hunt ends the same time statland does.Im not rubbing anything in. Was just asking how good them units are?

The ute moutain utes get tags for every unit in the brunot! I think 10-15 tags will hurt anything. Only 10-12 members pick up there brunot tags this year and only 4 shot somthing so dont get so worked up!!

>If it only goes to the
>middle of mineral county that
>barely covers the southern end
>of the unit.

Look it up on a map that units in there. Look for yourself.

Just stay on the rez and your hayfields...like where you shot your buck, 40 yards off the main road. ;O) Oh ya, it was state land, (landlocked by the rez)-but you are supreme hunter.
You can take much better animals in the middle of their rut there than busting your ass for a little old jerky buck at 10,000 feet elevation.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-10 AT 07:59PM (MST)[p]>Just stay on the rez and
>your hayfields...like where you shot
>your buck, 40 yards off
>the main road. ;O) Oh
>ya, it was state land,
>(landlocked by the rez)-but you
>are supreme hunter.
>You can take much better animals
>in the middle of their
>rut there than busting your
>ass for a little old
>jerky buck at 10,000 feet
>elevation.

The land was not land lock by rez. if u ever hunted around here u would know SPRING CREEK gets pounded by hunters. Lol another hater to the site great. But I think I will try my luck up there.

utehunter, you sound like a nice enough guy but you really like to subtly rub your privilages in. I bet those hunters were a little envious of you but if that gives you pleasure you're a little twisted. I really enjoy the pictures of the fine animals you post on the boards but I can tell from several posts on here ( starting with your first and second ) that you enjoy being envied. I would participate in the same hunts you do if given the chance but the last thing I would do is come on a site like this and rub it in.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

>utehunter, you sound like a nice
>enough guy but you really
>like to subtly rub your
>privilages in. I bet
>those hunters were a little
>envious of you but if
>that gives you pleasure you're
>a little twisted. I
>really enjoy the pictures of
>the fine animals you post
>on the boards but I
>can tell from several posts
>on here ( starting with
>your first and second )
>that you enjoy being envied.
> I would participate in
>the same hunts you do
>if given the chance but
>the last thing I would
>do is come on a
>site like this and rub
>it in.
>
>"If a nation expects to be
>ignorant and free... it
>expects what never has and
>never will be." -Thomas
>Jefferson

My bad not trying to be a a$$ sorry. Not trying to rub anything in and i am a nice guy. sorry guys k.

Hey Guys,
WTF is everyone so worked up about . Its common knowledge and up to par with the US Goverment to go to war with other countrys kick thier tails then give them back everything they lost and then some.

It happened with the British, the Spainish,the Mexicans, the french , the japs, the Koreans, the Veitnamese,the germans and the INDIANS. So of course they have rights and privilages that some other people dont. Its the way it works in the good ole USA. We white boys just have to suck it up and live with it, especially now with Hussien in the WHITE HOUSE.

Stop it with the jealously already its the way it is and nothing is gonna change it. The libs are working on banning hunting altogether and when that happens the only oines hunting will be the indians and the eskimos.

Come on guys! Lets all show some respect for the Utes or any native american tribe! Historically they hunted most of the western side of the state. It is their right to hunt the areas that they can hunt. If they want to shoot a 320 bull or a cow elk for meat that is their right. Lets keep this site appealing to new comers and show some respect for people regardless of how we feel the situation.
Jerad
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

Good luck ute dont let the haters get 2 ya.
so what if they give a few tags to the natives.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom