Units for first time hunters

MEANTTOBBUCK

My daughter and son in law want to get into hunting. Even though I have hunted all my life my daughter was not into it so this would be a first for her and her husband. Could you help with a couple of good units for mule deer and antelope that you would recommend they apply for? I live in AZ so I am not familiar except for back in the late 70s when I hunted in NW Colorado. Help would be much appreciated.

Most of the “good units” require a few years to draw. There are some over the counter units (OTC) and some draw units that they could try, but those units are sometimes very difficult hunting even for experienced hunters.

The good news is that they can apply to build points toward a better unit. However, there are some licensing requirements. And they can get to work on that experience which is way better than some internet opinions.

The other good news is there is a ton of information out there that lays it all out. They just need to do their homework. They should start by looking at the CPW website. Very helpful links are provided on the top right of the Colorado page.

Good luck. :)

For antelope, I’d go to Wyoming.
If they’re wanting to hunt deer this year, look at the statistics page for last years draw and apply for a tag that took 0 points. There are some decent units that can be had with 0 points.

Most of the “good units” require a few years to draw. There are some over the counter units (OTC) and some draw units that they could try, but those units are sometimes very difficult hunting even for experienced hunters.

The good news is that they can apply to build points toward a better unit. However, there are some licensing requirements. And they can get to work on that experience which is way better than some internet opinions.

The other good news is there is a ton of information out there that lays it all out. They just need to do their homework. They should start by looking at the CPW website. Very helpful links are provided on the top right of the Colorado page.

Good luck. :)
Thanks I appreciate the advice.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom