Unknown Bucks of the Strip

A recent post about the Strip got me thinking about the possible trail cams numbers currently on the Strip. I don't know the strip very well but from what I've read it would appear that there are multiple cams on every available water source. With that being said I have a couple questions for those lucky few that have had the opportunity to spend a good amount of time on the Strip.

1)Are there any useable water sources on the Strip that don't have a trail cams on them?

2)Is it possible that there are hidden waters that people don't know about?

3)With so many cams on the Strip now days is it even possible to find/shoot a buck that has not had his picture taken by a trail cam?

Last time I was on the Strip which was over 10 years ago I'd say about 50% of the waters I checked had cams on them. Man made drinkers seemed to hold the most cams while majority of the dirt tanks didn't or at least they weren't easily visible. One of the main reason I loved going to the Strip was the possibility of finding a huge buck that no one has ever seen or knew about. Is this idea of finding a huge unknown buck on the strip currently just a pipe dream or is it still a possibility?

Here are a couple water sources from the area where I took my 2012 9.5 year old buck shown on the other thread. There were a number of water sources there........both trick tanks and sand tanks. A lesser known but still a top 20 13B place where big bucks have been taken historically. Never saw a cam in September or during the season in that area. The guides must not have seen a biggun and pulled their cams......huh? On opening day, I saw 4 trucks full of hunters/scouters/guides, tho.

These pics are from September 1012. First pic is a sand tank with little sign on it and no cams. Second drinker had all kinds of tracks in the area.

6038img0030.jpg

7262img0063.jpg

Here's a tank in 13A that had 6 or 8 cams on it during the 2011 season.

4843img0685.jpg

If I was a DIY guy and wasn't a cam guy......and I saw 6-8 cams on a tank during the season.........I would definitely hunt that spot........cuz they've obviously seen a biggun or two there.

Love the concept of FREE trail cam work!!!

One reason you dont see many cams on dirt tanks is that the water levels fluctuate so much due to thunderstorms or drought conditions. a lot of those cams end up under water. Another reason is that cattle will knock them down and put them out of service.
The answer to the question about unknown bucks is, It would be Very rare for a big buck to remain unknown. There are some very savvy folks out there and they know that country very well I'm not saying it's impossible but highly unlikely.

Yes, there are fringe locations where density is really low that people don't hunt much and areas that border the GC National Park where some bucks come from, especially during the rut.

To my knowledge and documents , there is a little over 3 dozen water sources that nobody else besides myself , even know about , or if they are aware of there locations they just don't bother to put forth the time and crazy hiking to get into these locations . There is a ton of land that is inaccessible due to the Monument and there are many water sources w/n these areas . And yes , several Bucks become overlooked . If there is a road that leads to a water source then there is likely a Trail Camera there . lol

LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-15 AT 06:23PM (MST)[p]I hate game cams more than anything on this planet. What a chicken way to hunt a magnificent big ol muley.

Having said this........it is important to realize that bucks do indeed move around. Particularly close to the rut.

A guide may have a buck frequently hitting a tank early in the fall......but if there are no or not enough does there........he WILL leave to find them. In that country.......as many as 5+ miles. So much for a summer or September or early October hit on a cam.

Also.........DO NOT ASSUME that.......even with does in the area.......that a big ol buck is dead. Not true at all. The Strip is VAST country........some of it pretty thick.......and although a buck is hitting a tank recently.......the guide still has to find him and have a hunter that can shoot. A biiiiigggg task.

One more time. I'm not defending cams at all cuz they have been the ruination of trophy hunting. But at the same time.......they are no guarantee of success. There are bigguns out there for the average Dude.

Whacked my 2012 buck on this terrace which had a couple dirt tanks with no cams during September. It did, however, have plenty of cliffrose, cover, lots of drive-by hunters/guides, and a good breeze to keep the bugs away. Plus some doe tracks. Does don't leave a good area for the rut. Knowledgeable bucks.....however.....do come to them.

1017img0042.jpg

7105img0046.jpg

Old saying that I've never forgot courtesy of George Welsh, a Arizona Game & Fish Wildlife Manager who has since passed on.

"Absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absence!"

Think about that...

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom