Unlucky Elk Hunter

F

fishfearme

I've been unlucky in the Limited Entry Elk drawings and as a result I have 17 bonus points. In recent years I have been putting in for Pahvant, because why waste all those bonus points on a unit that may not produce the highest quality bulls.

I'm not getting younger and would consider a unit with better odds so I can have a great hunt before I'm too old to enjoy it. According to the odds charts, the only units with less than 1:1 odds for 17 points are Beaver, Pahvant and Monroe; with Pahvant being the worst odds.

Any suggestions for alternate units I should consider? I've heard a couple of people recommend the Southwest Desert unit, but I don't know anything about it.

Any recommendations, and does any one know anything about Southwest Desert?

What size bull are you after? Are you after a great hunt with lots of elk or a tough hunt with huge bull potential?

If I had 17 points I would hold out for Beaver, Pahvant, or San Juan. Or I would consider switching to a muzzy for the same units to hunt sooner. Nothing wrong with a muzzy on those units. Tremendous bulls for sure.

I have a very good friend who spent a bunch of time on Southwest desert last year and another who was on it the year before. Both reported some incredible bulls. The majority of the bulls they saw we 5x6's. Huge frames but not scoring very well. Tough unit to hunt.

If I were you I would stick with the unit you know the best and scout it and hunt it like a once in a lifetime type tag deserves! You will not be disappointed and should have an incredible hunt!

Or you could apply for an archery tag with me on the Wasatch and we could chase some great bulls together! Ha ha!!

Seriously though, good luck in your choice!

+1 to the first post!!!

You will olny have 17 points once in your life for Utah. I have 16 as a resident and will wait for one of the top three units!! Elk on this units are truely once in a life time!!!

You are way ahead of thousands of other hunts. I would hold out for the best!!! They will be your best chance for a bull over the 350 mark.

Good luck in what ever you decide. Happy hunting!!!

Hi Fishfearme,
I too have maximum elk points (17). I have been applying for Pahvant too. According to the latest odds book, you and I could draw ANY hunt in Utah except the Early Pahvant. There we would have a 30-40% chance depending on where other Maximum point holders apply. My top contenders would be SanJuan, Southwest Desert, Deseret CWMU, Beaver, and maybe Mt. Dutton. THere were 35 of us with Max. points that applied for Early Pahvant last year. 9 of the 35 drew. If all re-apply this year and permit numbers stay the same,there would be 9/26 chance of drawing. I will be interested in what you decide...
Good luck.
MS

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-10 AT 10:21AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-10 AT 10:17?AM (MST)

From what I've heard I would go for the San Juan. It and Pahvant are supposed to be the top 2 in the state.

Last year all with max points who applied drew out, so you should be guaranteed, unless a bunch jump over and you are really unlucky.

Given the dates this year and steady decline in quality statewide I feel this would be the year to "cash in" with those points. The early hunt on the Monroe should be a gimmie for ya. The unit consistently produces big bulls and offers great opportunity. The Pahvant and San Juan might be couple years out to be guaranteed a tag. It would be a good problem to have though!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom