upcoming 16c hunt

nmelkman

Is there anywhere to camp in the unit that has available fresh water or do i need to camp closer to winston? Is there any places to camp around winston? Also how did the first hunts go down there? thanks

We hunted the youth and the first any weapon seasons in 16c. There is water at the Beaverhead Work Station but it is not being tested for drinking after October first so drink it at your own risk.

If you camp close to Winston you will have a lot of driving each way. There are plenty of good camp spots all over the unit so there is no reason to camp so far away.

The good news is that all three of us killed bulls during our hunts. The bad news is that the drought adversely affected antler development. We saw only 3 bulls that were in the 320 to 330 range and a few more 270 to 300. My son passed up some small 6 and 5 points and did have a chance at one of the bigger bulls. He took a 4X4 at dark on the 4th day. I saw the other two bigger bulls the day after his season ended and two days before our season.

We passed on some mid-size bulls during our hunt and my buddy killed a 5X6 on the 4th morning and I killed a 6X1 on the 4th evening. Both had decent mass on the bases but had no length or development on the upper antler. Mine was broken just above the first tine on the one antler. Saw a number of other elk that had been taken in 16a and 16b with broken antlers.

One last piece of advice: Don't camp on top of the elk. People set up camps where elk were crossing from 16a to 16c and the elk disappeared. As soon as they broke camp, the elk came back.

Thanks guys that really helps me out with the water situation, Any recomendations on a place to start my hunt? It's the late cow hunt and i'm just looking to fill the freezer. From what i hear houghton canyon is a good starting place?? Thanks again

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom