Using a decoy

J

Jglaub

I have been thinking about using a decoy for elk hunting this fall, like the Montana elk decoys, does anyone have any experience with these? Il be using a bow so anything to try and bring them in a little closer.

Joe

LAST EDITED ON May-20-13 AT 11:47PM (MST)[p]Not Montana, but I used a Heads-up on my Tule hunt last year...

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/3435game_on!_(2).jpg

'Ike'

seem to work better if they are partially covered, out in the open they tend to scare stuff off more than attract for us

>seem to work better if they
>are partially covered, out in
>the open they tend to
>scare stuff off more than
>attract for us

I never would have guessed that, good info right there.

Ive had them work out in the open and in cover. It sure makes it fun when they aren't focusing on you!

Traditional >>>------->

They seem to relax more when you are using more the one decoy, I think they like the herd view better and it puts them at ease, because they are use to a herd of cows.Good Luck

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I think they work great. I was able to hold one up and walk behind it right into a heard of cow elk. I got to within 10 yards of a couple of cows. they would look up for a few seconds and go right back to eating. I was amazed it worked so good.

I NEVER go elk hunting without my Montana decoy! If you can get the bull to see the decoy after a cow call or two it is usually all over but the haulin'

I would happen to agree with the above comments. Another thing some folks do is place it to where it is partially covered by brush, at the same time if you have a wireless calling system place the speaker in close proximity....it takes the attention off of you.

Eric Santana
www.SantanaOutdoors.com
"Premium Hunting Gear"

There is only 1 rule when using a decoy.

If you have one, you don't need it, if you need one you don't have it.

We used an ELK decoy, for antelope hunting, at a water hole in the middle of a sage flat in Neveda and the thing worked like a champ!
I watch my cousin arrow a high P&Y pronghorn using that stupid ELK decoy. I doubt that buck had ever seen an elk before but didn't seem to care.
I was filming and laughing (quietly) the whole time.
Zeke

So these things actually work? Might have to buy one and try it for fun. Which do you guys recommend?

Goat

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-13 AT 08:13AM (MST)[p]The ability to "run and gun" with an elk decoy can be a big advantage.

Motion can be a deal breaker when elk hunting, but when they associate motion with an "elk"...it can be a deal sealer !

Check the link!

Best of Luck,
Jeff
http://www.elkmtngear.com

I made the mistake of buying the cheaper( cardboard) decoy, what a joke, finally got a Montana. And the results were fantastic, put her in an open field with wind blowing and hid in the brush, herd came over the hill about 200 yds away and they fanned out and stared in my direction, figured I was busted but , after a tense moment they put their heads down and fed towards me, killed a nice bull 10 minutes later, also Something I've had great success with while bow hunting, I cut out 2 large ears from foam and glued them to a ball cap and painted it brown,I can't count how many times I've gotten within 20 yds ( downwind) of feeding animals without spooking them, the ear profile eases their fears, bend half over and move slowly at an angle,never directly towards them. Hope this helps, oh, if you use the ears during gun season make sure your insurance is up to date.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-13 AT 09:39PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-13 AT 11:30?PM (MST)

emgocelk_zps5f64de12.jpg

SLIP System. Much more than just a decoy, these are the most photo realistic elk decoys in the Industry, and much easier to run and gun with. We are Monster Muley Sponsors.

Here's just a few ways you can use the gear:
Dynamic Decoying Part Two

Dynamic Decoying Part Three

Best of Luck,
Jeff (MM Sponsor)
http://www.elkmtngear.com

yes, if you were to look back a previous forums you would see a product call Instant Elk Decoys,
this year they were pulled off the market.
they were considered to be too life like by the dow.heheehehe not realy
they are some out there still, I'm using one this fall.
the true story is that they were better than montana decoys and they said they had the copy right to the spring steel idea to imploy their decoy open. so I pulled them.
but back to the rest of the story.
I don't leave home with out them.

Ever.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom