UT bullet/powder options

COLOelkman

Very Active Member
I'll be elk hunting in UT this year and my .50 cal Knight Revolution shoots TC conicals quite well and consistent. Since they allow other bullet types in UT, does anyone have any suggestions on other bullet types that might perform better. I've taken several elk with the TC Maxi-Balls (370g) and am confident at 100 with diligent practice. I'm somewhat reluctant to start trying new bullets but I have some time before the hunt so I'm toying with the idea. If I had to guess, my main limitation on accuracy is probably not bullets or sights but eyesight. I get groups of 2-3 inch max at 100 yds but will be practicing out to 150 and until I shoot some, I have no idea how much more drop I'll get with the additional 50 yds. Thus relative to performance, I'm considering that to be a flatter shooting bullet with as much knock down power. I'll first be trying out my standard load and seeing how it does at 125 and 150 yds. Then I'd need to decide if I want to toy with another bullet type such as a sabot. I have tried powerbelts and they are off my list and only shot a few Hornady FPB's but not enough to really conclude anything. Any bullet opinions out there since I've never had the option of other bullets hunting in CO.

I shoot 95g of 777 powder and wanting to try the BH209 as I've heard so many good opinions on it. I'd welcome any of opinions on what you guys think! I'm sure I'll try it either way as you just never know until you experiment a bit. Thanks! Doug

I too, have been working on new loads over the last week. So far I have shot Hornaday FTX 325 with harvester crush rib sabot, 290 grn barnes t-ez and 300 grn sst low drag sabot also made by Hornaday. Shot the 350 grn FBP for two years and killed some elk with them and performed very well. So far all have had good accuracy at 100 yards, but from 150-200 yrds the barnes wins hands down. To check your bullet drop go to www.handloads.com/calc. I also shoot 209 powder, but have not tested ant other powders with the bullet combo posted above. Good luck.

If your fine with 250 gr bullets, try the Barnes TSX. I've been shooting this with 90 gr 777 for years, in az we can use powered magnification, so 300 yards clean kills is a real possibility, in fact I killed a antelope dead in his tracks at 300. at 250 yards, a more repeatable range for me, I get 3-4 inch groups every time with this load, 1 inch MOA out to 100 yards no problem, 2-3 inch at 150 which is what its sighted in for. I'm shooting a Thompson Truimph w/ 28inch barrel. Try Barnes, excellent bullets, and they will fully expand out to 225 yards, from experience, as I recovered bullet from mule deer at this range and it full on mushroomed.

I would also recommend the Barnes bullets, we shoot the 250 gr. t-ez as these are easier to load in our omega. These bullets group really well out to 150 yards and beyond. We have shot elk as close as 10 yards out to about 130 and have had great success, the bullet performance has been exceptional. If your gun shoots them accurately they are worth considering and testing.

UT does allow sabots. I assume they'd be more accurate than a conical but I've never shot any sabots out of my Knight. There's so many options that I'm just trying to narrow it down first and try a couple bullets that others feel would provide the best accuracy and lethality out to 150. My gun likes the TC Maxiball in 370 g. so I know that's a good load but I don't want to spend months trying everything under the sun!

If you try Sabor tooth Gold PT 300 grain with 90 grains powder with crushed rib sabot ...sight in 4" high at 100 yrds and you will be dead on at 150 yards... you can also get the barnes 290gr with the blue tip and it should shoot about the same but get some crush rib sabots for sure!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom