Utah CWMUs

bonehunter85

I have 6 points currently and was looking at some of the northern Utah CWMUs. There is a lot in the northern part of the state yet I cant find too much on any of them on the forums or online anywhere. Has Anyone hunted the following units and have reviews or pics of harvests of them? These are a few of them that dont seem to need many points to draw because the numbers of applicants are lower.
Thanks so much in advance and hope to get some info!

Blue Springs
Blind Springs
Pocatello Valley
Whites Valley
Rattlesnake Pass
Dilly Ranch
Salt Wells
Engineer Springs
Ingham Peak
Dove Creek

I’ve been on a hunt on one of those listed.

I’ll speak in general to all of them, however. If a CWMU is taking around 5 points to consistently draw, there is a reason.

My brother had 4 deer points and wanted to burn them on a hunt and get back into the elk pool. Size of deer didn’t matter to him. We had reached out to operators around the state with reasonable chance of drawing the tag before the draw and they were almost all very willing to communicate with us and be honest. There was one or two that did not.

He went into the hunt with no expectation for a big buck. We had a great time. We saw a lot of little bucks and didn’t run into a ton of hunters over the 4 days we hunted. It was a really fun hunt. But I will reiterate, that if 6 points will guarantee you a CWMU deer tag, you may need to set your expectations on size of deer accordingly. Some of these places you might struggle to find a buck with 3 or more points on one side.

I’ve been on a hunt on one of those listed.

I’ll speak in general to all of them, however. If a CWMU is taking around 5 points to consistently draw, there is a reason.

My brother had 4 deer points and wanted to burn them on a hunt and get back into the elk pool. Size of deer didn’t matter to him. We had reached out to operators around the state with reasonable chance of drawing the tag before the draw and they were almost all very willing to communicate with us and be honest. There was one or two that did not.

He went into the hunt with no expectation for a big buck. We had a great time. We saw a lot of little bucks and didn’t run into a ton of hunters over the 4 days we hunted. It was a really fun hunt. But I will reiterate, that if 6 points will guarantee you a CWMU deer tag, you may need to set your expectations on size of deer accordingly. Some of these places you might struggle to find a buck with 3 or more points on one side.
Thanks for the response Vanilla. Mostly I am looking for a hunt where I won't be bothered by other hunters and can look over a lot of deer. Deer size to me isn't that big of a deal compared to most people, a trophy to me is anything that would be above 160 scoring wise, and a 180 buck is a once in a lifetime buck! If you dont mind me asking, what was the buck your brother took? Did you see a lot of mature bucks or around 4-year-old ish bucks?

In the early 2000s I had about the worst attitude towards CWMUs, and even more so towards their operators due to close friends horror stories from many CWMUs around the state.

I still have issues with CWMUs, but, in recent years many here on MM, and friends of mine, have reported improvements to the treatment of public tag hunters.

I hope you get some responses, but you would be well served in contacting the operators of each unit and talking with them.

What if a guy has 14? Any good ones? I’m only familiar with Coldwater Ranch.

A buddy of mine told me there’s a “rose ranch”, but I don’t see it on the list. 🤷‍♂️

What if a guy has 14? Any good ones? I’m only familiar with Coldwater Ranch.

A buddy of mine told me there’s a “rose ranch”, but I don’t see it on the list. 🤷‍♂️

My dad had a Mt Carmel tag quite a few years ago. It was a pretty good hunt.
I know they used to kill some good deer on Two Bear.
Ensign Ranches has some good deer too.
There's a "Rosette" CWMU for deer. There's a "Rose of Snowville", but I think that ones antelope only.

Thanks for the response Vanilla. Mostly I am looking for a hunt where I won't be bothered by other hunters and can look over a lot of deer. Deer size to me isn't that big of a deal compared to most people, a trophy to me is anything that would be above 160 scoring wise, and a 180 buck is a once in a lifetime buck! If you dont mind me asking, what was the buck your brother took? Did you see a lot of mature bucks or around 4-year-old ish bucks?

Sent you a PM.

Any cwmu with 160+ bucks will take a lot of points to draw, like 15+.

There really are no shortcuts to figuring out CWMUs. Lots of calls to operators and past harvest data tell some of the story but you really just have to take a risk and hunt to figure it out.
I have experience on several and have never really had a bad experience. I have avoided several others just by having a conversation with the operator and realizing that their specific operation is not what I'm looking for.

Good luck in your endeavors and there are some real hidden gems out there if you do your research and pay your dues. Myself and my family have killed many very nice animals on CWMU units, sometimes with very few points.

As stated in previous posts, the main advantage of hunting a CWMU is exclusivity where you often might be the only hunter in a several square mile area. Sometimes there is great quality potential, sometimes not.

I work with the outfitters on two units and I can tell you that they take great pride in providing an awesome opportunity to the public and, most years, the biggest bucks and bulls are taken by the public hunters with help and direction provided by the operators.-------SS

I have hunted multiple CWMU's over the years.

Defiantly reach out to each of them and ask what their rules are. Also ask about hunt dates. Ask for pictures of what has been harvested the last couple years too.

With 5 points... I would not have too high expectations.

I served on the CWMU Advisory Committee for 6 years. Lots of shady operations out there and some really good ones as well. My advice would be to contact the operators and speak to them "on the phone" (not text or email). If you get weird vibes from the call, stay away. Most of the bad operators are rude on the phone or will say very strange things about the CWMU, or in some cases will never even answer the phone. Stay away from any of those. A good operator will chat with you and let you know exactly what you are getting into.

Most of the issues with CWMUs could have been avoided if hunters would have contacted the operator before applying. I would NEVER put in for a CWMU without talking with an operator prior.

I remember Spring Creek. Pay for a hunt and show up, and they can tell you have money it is good for you. Show up with a public tag and you get the short end of the stick. If an operator knows where the good buck areas are, just know they won't give you those spots. But maybe it is different 20 years later.

Just remember, state hunters get to hunt anywhere paid hunters get to hunt. A CWMU may NOT restrict you from any portion of a property that they allow others to hunt.

If it happens, report it. The CWMU board doesn’t take those allegations lightly. If you don’t report it, you don’t get to complain about it.

I remember Spring Creek. Pay for a hunt and show up, and they can tell you have money it is good for you. Show up with a public tag and you get the short end of the stick. If an operator knows where the good buck areas are, just know they won't give you those spots. But maybe it is different 20 years later.
Nope- same operator doing the same S****~> sad because the unit has amazing genetics but your bank account will dictate what and when u kill.. #greedyoperators #nonconservation #hardpass

I hunted Pocatello Valley this past fall. I had a great time, had an outstanding guide, and it was beautiful country. We hunted our butts off and we left no part of the ranch unturned. I ended up killing as good of a buck I saw--but, I am not ashamed to say that I went in with higher expectations (trophy-wise) than I feel existed on the ranch this given year. This was all 100% on me.

I do know the outfitter I hunted with guides the public land hunter as well. My personal guide said he would be the one taking the public hunter and he told me they approach that hunt the exact same way as if he was a paying hunter.

Just wanted to share my (limited) experience.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom