Utah desert sheep score thoughts

tthorpe13

Helping a fellow MM member on his ram hunt this fall. Got pics of this real heavy ram, wondering what you guys think he might score.

Thanks in advance, and enjoy.

1517p1010975.jpg

931p1010974.jpg

305p1010982.jpg

1024p1010985.jpg

7459p1010987.jpg

He carries his weight real well, but he appears to have a fairly tight curl which equals shorter length.(that's not always a bad thing) Without knowing the hunt unit, it is difficult to make a good guess on a score. (Sheep mass varies, sometimes significantly, from unit to unit)
One other thing. He is much more mature than the other rams and old rams are always trophies, regardless of score. (IMO)

155 guess. Nice ram. Don't know what the unit is producing, and what the ave base measurements are. The biologist for the unit can give you more info from past harvest statistics on base and length measurements. Good luck.

The sheep in that unit typically average heavier bases than most of Utah. Those sheep originate from Arizona so they are usually heavier than most Utah sheep. The pictures don't give a good view of his bases, but if he is average (14.75" according to my son) I am guessing a score of mid to high 150s. He thinks it is around 157. I wouldn't argue that.

I have actually seen the ram. He is better than what he looks. He is short. 30 inches in 1 side and 32 on the other. His upper horn mass is exceptional I would say 15.5 with a range 15 to 16. Mid horn mass is ok at about 12 and lower horn mass is about 8. His utah score (good horn doubled) should be 32, 15, 15, 12, 8...82 time 2 equals 164 4 inch margin of error high and low would give him a range of 160 to 168 with his weakness being lenght. and aslo assuming that it is the same ram that I have seen and it likely is.

Grand Slam #911

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom