Utah elk opinion!

mickeyelk

Very Active Member
Talked to 3 different guides thus far and have narrowed down a few choices. Looking for hunter advise from all of you. I have 23 points in Utah for elk. Can't archery hunt, bad shoulder, so have picked thus far, Rife Boulder late and Manti early. I'm worried about the Manti because of hunter numbers and campers. My goal is to get a 350+ bull. Would like more info on these areas and any other opinions. Thanks you. I will be going with an outfitter and my age is getting up there.

The arapeen trail sucks in a ton of riders. It's a factor, how big matters on where on the Manti you are

You need to look at this realistically. This isn’t utah 2008. It’s utah 2022. 350s are much harder to come by than they were 15 years ago. Especially for non res who haven’t put in a lifetime of hunting effort to a specific area. If 350 or bust is your goal, you could come home empty handed and disappointed. If a mature 6x6 and a great hunt experience is your “trophy”, then either unit will produce exactly what you’re looking for

Either could produce that size of Bull, Boulder probably has a higher top end, while Manti has more Elk overall.

Try Apex outfitters if you decide Manti

Ultimately your answer depends on what kind of experience you are hoping for with your hunt.
As has been mentioned, 350" bulls are a tall order, even in the best units in Utah these days. This last year I cashed in my points on an early Utah rut hunt and had the time of my life. I took a very nice bull but the rut experience seriously outweighed any measure of antler inches! I passed on the best bull I saw the first day because I had not yet experienced what I wanted out of that tag.
Ultimately the opportunity to have bugling bulls in my face every day was way more important to me than the size of the antlers that came home with me.
I've been on one late hunt and it was not my cup of tea. You might get a bigger bull later in the year, but in my book you will totally miss the best part of elk hunting by not going early.

While there are some good bulls killed on the Manti, the average bull killed is below 300". There are over 480 permits total on the Manti. You will see between 20-30 posts on social media of nicer bulls. the rest are dinks. Hire a reputable guide if you choose the Manti. If not you will be dealing with large crowds of campers, hunters, and all their buddies.

Anything that’s said about the manti can pretty much mirror the wasatch. That’s why the multi season is probably what makes the most sense. The multi season is only effective if you can hunt more than one season which gets complicated as a NR.

That being said, not sure I see a clear cut favorite between an outfitted:

Boulder late (alpha)
Manti MS (utah big game outfitters/gooch’s/Alpha)
Wasatch MS (me strawberry bay ?)

I know you haven’t mentioned it but if you are really considering the manti I would consider the Wasatch as well. Very similar bull quality and perhaps an easier hunt if your looking for DIY. 350 might be unrealistic for both units however I’ve never had as much fun as hunting the Wasatch in the middle of the rut. You can quite possibly see 20-30 bulls a day if you know where to look.

Is a muzzleloader hunt an option for you? Might open up your opportunities a bit on the upper end units to kill a 350" bull.
what outfitter ? And explain why and reason for the muzzle hunt please , i am interested in that option i like going for broke

I could help you with a right hook so you could eat out of a straw , ole brilliant one , what a fn douche bag
Haha Jake would put you in a cradle lock, suplex, and throw you in the back of his pickup.

Muzzleloader doesn't open up a whole lot more as far as options. For Fish Lake, Book Cliffs or Southwest Desert you would be in the ballpark. The muzzy dates put you right in the peak of the rut. If you're set on going guided any unit you can draw could produce a good bull. Or you could man up and draw a Dutton archery tag.

Last edited:
Haha Jake would put you in a cradle lock, suplex, and throw you in the back of his pickup.

Muzzleloader doesn't open up a whole lot more as far as options. For Fish Lake, Book Cliffs or Southwest Desert you would be in the ballpark. The muzzy dates put you right in the peak of the rut. If you're set on going guided any unit you can draw could produce a good bull. Or you could man up and draw a Dutton archery tag.
ya i have heard that b4 as there waking up wondering wtf just happened

Are you that fn ignorant ? LMAO Ita a 6 hole dog trailer on my way to bird hunt in Montana wow try getting out of your 3 bedroom trailer trash trailer and get out in the world lmao i cant believe how fn ignorant you are lmao!!
Ha! Good try sir. You have been exposed. I think Jake should post your PMs to him.

Also, you should refrain from calling someone ignorant. Your posts are a direct reflection of your own intelligence (or lack thereof).

Haha this escalated quickly.......I would for sure book with the Wade Lemon Boys, you would all get along real nice.
Lol it did huh? This is nothing, believe it or not he's actually holding back in these posts. The PM's not so much lol the A-hole is strong in this one.

ya ok mr i dont know what a dog trailer is and a camping trailer lmao you didnt expose **** ignorant fck
I figured you camped in it. No smarter than you are, it was a good guess. I saw your PMs. You sure you don't bat for the other team??

Whelp, this thread took a turn for the worse….

94EC07E2-3892-4BF0-A878-D4A2455F3C7D.jpeg

Hope the original poster got some good information before this thread got hijacked. I haven’t hunted the Manti in years, but killed several bulls there years ago, and love the area. It’s a special place in my heart. Good luck. BacDoc ?

Good luck I am looking forward to tracking your progress. I put in for manti just because there is actually a chance of me drawing one day

I would go Manti (Gooch’s guide service or NR Peaks) or Wasatch (strawberry bay outfitters) both hunts will put you into screaming bulls with the guides who can get you as close to or better than your goal.

The late hunts can be cold and tough. Very different experience. But, the bulls are grouped up and you can definitely do well on a great bull.

Either way, go have a great time and shoot a good bull. You wont regret it!

Any outfitters you know that I can call
I've been able to hunt the Manti early hunt a couple of times guided by Lazy bar T Outfitters in Payson UT. Jeff found me bulls both times of the caliber you are looking for. The early hunts are great fun with the bugling bulls chasing cows.

Hey Mickeyelk, was curious what you decided to do. I applied Manti Early with 21 NR points and just curious if you jumped in front of me!? I think you goat hunted the Rubies with a guy I have known for quite awhile a couple years back. Think that was you. He told me all about it and showed me some pictures. I live at the base of the Rubies. Either way, I hope you draw and have a blast. A lot of year’s we’ve invested. Maybe we with both draw the Manti. My Dad drew it in 2013 and we had a blast. He killed his first ever 6 point. It wasn’t huge but he was so happy. Such a cool experience and place. My cousin killed a 360” plus on Boulder years ago. Sure seems like a great place too! Good luck to you in the draw!

Nvguy2. Yes I had an excellent hunt for goat a few years back. His assistance was much appreciated. No I didn't apply for the Manti, so good luck on drawing the elk hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom