Utah elk opinions?

Banger

Thought I would post to see if anyone cares to consider my circumstances and offer opinions/constructive comments. So here goes.

I have the opportunity to draw my Utah limited elk tag in 2012, and the hunts I am interested in based on my personal circumstances are SS Diamond Mtn. early rifle, Wasatch early rifle, and Manti early rifle or muzzleloader. The size of bull I hopefully get is not the most important thing, however, I recognize that this tag is likely my best opportunity at something much larger than the bulls I typically get. The type of experience I really enjoy is getting into country where vehicles legally or physically can't go, and having the opportunity to glass/judge multiple animals. I have the backpack or horsepacking equipment necessary to do whatever the hunt might require.

I have done research on the success rates, called the bio's, google research, etc. like most typically do. As a nonresident though, I have not set foot in any of these areas, so would like to get some opinions on a couple of basic questions.

1. How would you rate these units in the ability to glass animals?

2. How would you rate them in the ability to hunt country without vehicle access?

Thanks ahead of time for anyone willing to comment.

B

I like the Wasatch better than the Manti...
And IMO,,they both are better than SS Diamond mnt.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Diamond is mostly private.

Never hunted manti.

Wasatch is the glassing territory you dream of, it does have a lot of access but also a lot of areas are foot or horse access only. The average is about 320 class bull, people that hunted this year said it was tough hunting. In past years its been a amazing hunt with lots of elk! Terrain is steep mountains with oakbrush, pines and quakie.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

#1 Wasatch Early
#2 Manti Early
#3 Manti Muzzy
A very distant #4 SS Diamond Mtn.

Wasatch is a great area to glass bulls. Lots of recreational users. Plenty of bulls if your willing to hunt hard. Be in the best shape possible and hunt your gut's out. You will not regret it.

I have hunted both the Manti and Wasatch and would take either one honestly. Wasatch is easier to glass.

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge. Really do appreciate it. So far sounds like most think the Wasatch would fit the type of experience I am hoping for.

I would love to hear more if anyone cares to share, pm's are welcome.

B

With horses and what you seem to be looking for as far as experience I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to hunt Book Cliffs Roadless with a muzzleloader. I know it wasn't on your list but it should be.

....If you find a message from myself offensive, inappropriate or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to me and I will demonstrate.....

I've hunted both several times.

My daughter shot a 320 bull in 2007 on Diamond and my uncle shot a 300 bull. That's about as good as can be expected. We own property there and it's cool to hunt your own place.

My son and another daughter hunted the Wasatch and both did well (2009 348", 2011 356" bulls). It's much more physical,where we hunt, but the pay-off is getting away from the people.

I've had several friends hunt the Manti, and based on the trophies taken, I would rate if as good as the Wasatch.

Both the Manti and the Wasatch are HUGE units and you can get into the back country and free yourself from the zoo by the roads.

My 2 cents, for free.
Zeke

I agree with others on here the wasatch. Hunted the muzzy hunt this year, on the wasatch, fun hunt with lots of glassing and a chance to get away from people, the only problem with a muzzy elk hunt here in Utah the general deer muzzy runs at the same time. The rifle hunt may have fewer people on the hill.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom