Utah L.E. Archery Elk Hunts

8mmMag

It often seems to me after the L.E. Utah Archery Elk hunts are over. When the L.E. Archery Elk hunt dates end on Sept.15-17, hunters seem to be more successful than when the season ends on Sept 13or14. I know of 4 hunters that hunted the "Roadless B.C." last year for Archery Elk, none taged out. They all said they were seeing nothing nor hearing much bugeling. This is a high end Utah Elk unit. Yes, I know last year was the hotest in recored history. Any opinions on this from experienced Archery Elk hunters!!

Makes sense, they definitely get heated up right about then so an extra couple days would help. I tagged my Bull on the 10th last year in the Manti unit. I helped my buddy that last week of the hunt and we definitely had a lot of action the last couple of days...if we had another day or two he probably would have tagged out too.

Cutbow

From my observation, this past year's elk rut in Utah was unusually weak, probably due to lots of factors, including hot weather. That being said a few extra days always makes a difference when the rut is just beginning. Since hunt dates are posted before hand and I always inspect them closely before applying for any hunt that might be affected by them. But then, you never know what other curve balls mother nature may throw at you and that always makes it an adventure.

I had a L.E. archery elk tag this last year. I took the whole hunt off thinking I would spend as much time as possible down there that I could. I shot my bull on Thursday of the first week, I missed one bull and passed on about three. The reason I got my bull was cuz he was by himself(spot and stalk) there was a bigger bull but he had about 30 cows. I know everyone says the hunt gets better as it gets later but personally I would rather hunt them while they are bachelored up so I have less eyes to bust me, but I also can't sit and wait for them to come to me, I gotta go get them and keep persistent. Everyone hunts different but I wouldn't recommend leaving it til the last week or two to try and harvest a bull. It's a tough hunt and a lot harder than people make it out to be.

In 2010, the hunt ended on the 17th I believe...I killed mine on the 14th after 11 straight days hunting. I have to agree, when the archery hunt ends earlier, it is that much harder to tag out...it is almost worth it to wait for a year when the archery ends further in the rut.

I'm at 11 points and the season dates make me more nervous than anything. I have even toyed with hunting a lesser unit any weapon with a bow just to hit the rut better. I can't see it making much difference if the muzzy and rifle guys were a week later, but for archers it would make a huge difference. I don't think any other state treats archers like Utah does.

It is unfortunate for those who enjoy Archery Elk Hunting in Utah. Utah has by far the worse Archery Elk hunting dates in the West. Other states such as Idaho, Wyoming, and other states allow Archery Elk hunting until Sept. 30. Or at leat much later than Sept. 13-17. I think many other sportsmen would take up Archery Elk hunting in Utah if the season dates would improve. Many Archery Elk hunters I know prefer to hunt out of state, even for public land hunts, just to take advantage of better season dates. Just getting to call in Bulls, even if one does not get to harvest a Bull, this is a real Rush!!

>I'm at 11 points and the
>season dates make me more
>nervous than anything. I
>have even toyed with hunting
>a lesser unit any weapon
>with a bow just to
>hit the rut better.
>I can't see it making
>much difference if the muzzy
>and rifle guys were a
>week later, but for archers
>it would make a huge
>difference. I don't think
>any other state treats archers
>like Utah does.

I agree with you totally Lang!! This subject reminds me of when the Muzzelloader deer hunt was moved out of the first week of Novemeber. Then put, as of today, into the third week of September. I remember speaking to a RAC member/CWMU operator as to why he voted and supported the Muzzeloader Deer hunt being moved up so early. His words were" I dont want good Bucks being killed on public land, by public hunters, they might migrate onto my land later on in the season when my paid hunters are on the Ranch hunting!! Glad the RAC is looking out for us all, makeing logical/wise recomendations for "ALL HUNTERS"..

I drew a LE Archery tag last year and didn't punch it. As I got to know most of the other hunters during the course of the hunt, I only heard of/talked to one guy that killed. He killed over water in late August. The rut action was very slow till the bitter end. I chose not to hunt much early in anticipation of rutting action later.

There was a proposal before the Wildlife Board a couple of years ago to move the archery dates back at least a week. It was approved by the RACs and then didn't pass the wildlife board. After the vote, I spoke to board members as to why it didn't pass. The response i received surprised me.. it didn't pass it because "the archery conservation organizations wanted the hunt to be concurrent with the deer season" .

I have been told this proposal is going to be back before the board next year. I believe this to be something that can be changed with the right support.

I haven't hunted Utah but Here in NM in the Gila the 3rd hunt last till sept 25 and it's pretty stinkin good unit 34 end the 22nd and sometimes it's really warm down there until mid October and the rut is pretty much non existent I feel your pain Utah

I also drew the L.E archery elk tag last year and killed my bull sept 8 over water. I seen over 50 bulls and only called in one little rag horn. over the summer i probably had over 200 different bulls come into my different stands but as my luck would have it they all vanished before the hunt started. I hunted almost the whole hunt from left hand hobble creek to sheep creek with no bugles so yes it is a hard hunt but enough time and effort will pay off i killed mine 200 yards off the main road up diamondfork at a water whole no bigger than a basketball he only scored 317 but boy did i work my butt of for him and i only tell people the area i shot him in because everybody and there dogs hunted that spot all year so no loss LOL! I love bow hunting if i had the chance to hunt the big bulls on the wasatch with a bow again Hell es even with the hot weather its a challenge and I love it.

Utah Archery season is a joke, there is no reason to start an elk hunt in the middle of August. Utah definitely caters to the rifle and muzzleloader hunters giving them the absolute best time to get a bull in close. They could easily shift the season at least a week and give the archery guys a higher quality hunt without sacrificing the quality of the rifle and muzzleloader hunt. They should also swap and have the muzzleloader hunt before the rifle hunt.

>I drew a LE Archery tag
>last year and didn't punch
>it. As I got
>to know most of the
>other hunters during the course
>of the hunt, I only
>heard of/talked to one guy
>that killed. He killed over
>water in late August.
>The rut action was very
>slow till the bitter end.
>I chose not to hunt
>much early in anticipation of
>rutting action later.
>
>There was a proposal before the
>Wildlife Board a couple of
>years ago to move the
>archery dates back at least
>a week. It was
>approved by the RACs and
>then didn't pass the wildlife
>board. After the vote,
>I spoke to board members
>as to why it didn't
>pass. The response i
>received surprised me.. it didn't
>pass it because "the archery
>conservation organizations wanted the hunt
>to be concurrent with the
>deer season" .
>
>I have been told this proposal
>is going to be back
>before the board next year.
> I believe this to
>be something that can be
>changed with the right support.
>

There is going to be one huge problem of getting the Utah Archery Elk hunt set into the end of Sept. It's the youth Rifle Elk hunt( 300 Tags). I have been told by RAC members and Biologist this hunt to not going to be touched, it's Taboo to even suggest moveing this hunt. The DWR thinks this hunt is a much needed tool to get youth into hunting and help save our sport. What they dont understand is if the 75K-100K adult archery Elk hunters had good dates to hunt. These youth would be hunting with their fathers and grand fathers any way. Youth go hunting, only if a adult takes them hunting. If the DWR can/or could stop the droping out of big game hunting by adults that is happening right now. Maybe more youth could be introduced into the sport. I think more emphasis should be to find out why sportsmen are on the decline in Utah, year after year. If I am not mistaken, wasn't archery & muzzeloader deer tags converted to Rifle tags last year due to them not selling out late in the year. So the DWR could still raise revenue.

Really, the Youth Elk hunt is the problem....the youth hunt is only on General units and does not affect the LE draw units.

>Really, the Youth Elk hunt is
>the problem....the youth hunt is
>only on General units and
>does not affect the LE
>draw units.

Since one can only draw a L.E. Elk tag at best once every 6-8 years. Yes, I am speaking of the General Season Archery Elk Hunt.

>Utah Archery season is a joke,
>there is no reason to
>start an elk hunt in
>the middle of August.
>Utah definitely caters to the
>rifle and muzzleloader hunters giving
>them the absolute best time
>to get a bull in
>close. They could easily
>shift the season at least
>a week and give the
>archery guys a higher quality
>hunt without sacrificing the quality
>of the rifle and muzzleloader
>hunt. They should also
>swap and have the muzzleloader
>hunt before the rifle hunt.
>

EMD, I agree with you 100% with your thoughts of moveing the Muzzleloader Elk hunt up to say the last week of Sept. Something very simular to Colorado hunt dates. Buy, for what ever the reason, this probably will never happen. Muzzeloader Elk hunt in Sept. and Muzzeloader Deer back into the first week of Nov. just seems to be a dream!! Unless you have access to a CWMU, they get to play by different rules.

I've followed Utah LE archery elk very closely for a number of years now.
Success rates have been declining steadily for a few years now.
There are still a few units holding better success, But like
the original post elude to , the road less Book-cliffs dropped big-time.

Here's some archery success rate numbers for 2011 and 2012:
Unit 3002, road less Book Cliffs,
2011 42.1% success
2012 20.0 % success

Unit 3011 , Monroe,
2011 83.3% success
2012 36.4% success

Unit 3012 , Dutton,
2011 31.3% success
2012 17.9% success

The Wasatch, Manti, SW desert, and San Juan all slightly improved.

while Anthro, unit 3013 has gone 2 years now with o% success,
NOT AN archery bull killed there in two seasons!

Others with low success, 2012 numbers:
North Cashe ,unit 3004, 5% success
Meadowville Cashe , unit 3003 0% success
Nebo , unit 3007 , 14.8% success
North S three corners, 3014 ,8.3% success

I would suggest studying these closely if applying LE archery elk.

Anyone intrested in any other units, post it up and I'll match up
success rates for that particular unit...

I have lots of interesting info,,,.Wink ;-)

2012 was bad all across the west in 2012. Bad combination of dry hot year and early season. That is one year you have to throw ut of the equation.

I'd be interested to see how rifle and muzzle loader success rates were in 2011 2012 for the same units you mentioned. And I agree totally they should move archery one more week into september.

>I've followed Utah LE archery elk
>very closely for a number
>of years now.
>Success rates have been declining steadily
>for a few years now.
>
>There are still a few units
>holding better success, But like
>
>the original post elude to ,
>the road less Book-cliffs dropped
>big-time.
>
>Here's some archery success rate numbers
>for 2011 and 2012:
>Unit 3002, road less Book Cliffs,
>
>2011 42.1% success
>2012 20.0 % success
>
>Unit 3011 , Monroe,
>2011 83.3% success
>2012 36.4% success
>
>Unit 3012 , Dutton,
>2011 31.3% success
>2012 17.9% success
>
>The Wasatch, Manti, SW desert, and
>San Juan all slightly improved.
>
>
>while Anthro, unit 3013 has gone
>2 years now with o%
>success,
>NOT AN archery bull killed there
>in two seasons!
>
>Others with low success, 2012 numbers:
>
>North Cashe ,unit 3004, 5% success
>
>Meadowville Cashe , unit 3003 0%
>success
>Nebo , unit 3007 ,
>14.8% success
>North S three corners, 3014
>,8.3% success
>
>I would suggest studying these closely
>if applying LE archery elk.
>
>
>Anyone intrested in any other units,
>post it up and I'll
>match up
>success rates for that particular unit...
>
>
>I have lots of interesting info,,,.Wink
> ;-)
>

WOW!! I had no idea these units had droped off so much!! Good information!!

big6, For Utah 2013. The General Season Muzzelloader Elk Hunt for public land is Oct 30-Nov.7. For Utah Limited Entry Muzzeloader Elk it is Sept 25-Oct3. I hope this is what you asked for. As far as the individual you asked about. Where you speaking of the Muzzy Deer comment or Youth Rifle Elk hunt comment. Kill BIG friend!!

I was referring to the cwmu operator with muzzy deer. I should have read all the post I thought you were meaning LE muzzy. for me on one hand I support moving the dates and on the other I don't. You will have a long hard battle to get this changed I think it's a pretty touchy subject for a lot of folks. Good luck.

www.hightopoutfitters.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom