Utah Lion question

Broomer

Question to you hounds men. If I put in and drew a unit for this 2010 draw is there any one out there that would work me a deal on treeing a big Cat so I could shoot it with my bow? I can't really spend the cash on an outfitter. And I know all about the guiding with out a license stuff too. But If any one would be interested or knows someone that would take me out I'd like to try and get my tag this year. I want to kill it with my bow so I'd have to tree it. Also, I don't know what unit would be the best for a big Tom. I think I only have 5 points going into this draw so it's questionable whether I'd draw anyway. Just have the itch to kill a Cat and since I had twin babies last December I couldn't put in for any draw hunts for this Fall because my wife would have left me, I think I could persuade her to let me get away this winter. I have time because it is my off season.

You know Broomer, everytime I go out to feed my dogs I'm by myself. Everytime I need to take one of my dogs to the vet I'm alone. Everytime I need to buy or replace a piece of equipment there's no one around to help pay for it. Everytime my kennels need cleaned, it's only me shoveling the dog #####. Yet everytime it's time to go hunting, I've got any number of guys wanting to tag along for free.

Sorry Broomer, but I only give free hunts to my friends.......and as you can see, I don't have any friends. :-(

Did you just mention 'big tom' and 'Utah' in the same sentence? 80% of all cats killed in Utah are under 2 years old. Toms don't get big when they don't live past 2 years old.

Broomer
Not to be rude or anything, but your asking someone to break the law, risk themselves of some healthy fines....find you a big tom, but you cannot afford to pay them much? Don't get me wrong I love to hunt and am willing to help a guy out, but your asking alot here. Save your money and find a licensed outfitter. The big tom part is possible, but is going to cost you. I took a friend a year ago and made him hunt for his own tracks....he was 5 yrs before he found a lion that I would let him kill.

http://www.dopl.utah.gov/licensing/hunting_guides.html

Welcome to the world of lion hunting and big tom killing Broomer. Adult toms have become few and far between on most all units in Utah, and as you can see, the boys running hounds are pretty protective over those big cats. I'd advise to you save your money and time until you are ready to put out on both accounts cause you'll need them.

Kevin pretty much touched on the correct answer to your question, and that is why should one of us give up one of the large tom lions we have rat-holed for free? And why would we do that when most of us have a tag in our pocket and have walked away from those toms to save them for a paying client that hasn't killed one? Why should we beat up our trucks, snow sleds, wheelers, dogs and tracking equipment for someone we don't know and not get paid for it?

The link above is a link to the website of DOPL, and are responsible for issuing guide licenses in this sate. If you click on the website link, DOPL has a search engine so the public can check out their guide to see that he is licensed and legal to guide in this state. I don't know if these people are going to clean up the illegal guiding but I wish them luck on their efforts.............

ike

pm me if u draw a tag. you know some people still do it for fun and not for money. sure you would pitch in for gas like the rest of my buddies. didn't know there was a time limit on how long you had to know someone before you could go lion hunting together.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom