Utah Lion

C

Cold_Nosed

Here is a lion we caught yesterday.
Thank you & have a safe and Merry Christmas.
2909frozen_dirt_lion_track.jpg

4890cougar_hunting_outfitter.jpg

3905cougar_hunting_utah.jpg

Tee Hover
www.coldnosedoutfitters.com
www.facebook.com/coldnosedoutfitters

Thanks for the replies; conditions have been tough this year. The little dog in the back is almost a year old, she is wound tight but she will make a dog. Elkun I did let this one go, I was just training dogs that day. Good luck everybody have a safe new year.

I did post a short video of the dogs treeing on this lion. Click the Monster hunting clips tab, it is called ?Utah lion?.

Tee Hover

Good job, like to see guys that can catch em on dirt, good dog work, most pics ya see are in good fresh snow, like good dirt dogs! you must be proud ha?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-12 AT 07:40PM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/60752011-07-271.jpg

98162011-07-272.jpg

Yes, it's always fun to see that people can catch a lion in the dirt isn't it? And all catches aren't equal in the dirt either, some are caught after the temperature cools in the fall, winter or spring and other have to be hammered out in the summer months..

I was ask to run this problem lion down for ADC last July after it killed a goat ten or fifteen feet from the landowner's house. It had rained terribly hard around 8:00 PM the evening before and was after 9:00 AM when I arrived the following day. The sun was out and the ground was nearly dry from the evening rain, and all of the scent had gone with the water when it evaporated. And there wasn't any sign of a track because the lion had come in and grabbed it's kill before that down pouring of rain.........

Our trapper had set his snare but the lion didn't come through the hole it had made on previous trips into that pen to kill the goat. Rather, he jumped a six foot fence going in, grabbed his kill and jumped the fence on the opposite side on the way out. We could see where he had bent over the fence top which told us where he entered and where he left, but not a track or drag mark was found in the sandy soil around that pen, not a trace. An my best two dogs (10 and twelve years of age) could not find, open or leave on the invisible track......

We looked to the ledges, guessed where the lion had gone and cast four of my best lion dogs out ahead of us. In a couple hundred yards, and after entering the pinion/juniper tree line we heard all four of those hounds open one by one while starting his tracks. When we caught up with where they'd struck we found the goat that lion had buried, along with a rained in lion track. Matter fact, it had rained enough after the tom left his kill that his tracks looked days old if I didn't know better.

The track was slow and we inched our way along up into the ledges where they jumped the tom and treed him, and it was nearly noon and the heat of the day was setting in. Yes, a person has to love those hounds that will pound out a dirt lion track in the heat of summer........

http://www.ingramwildlife.com/

Ike said ? And all catches aren't equal in the dirt either, some are caught after the temperature cools in the fall, winter or spring and other have to be hammered out in the summer months..? I think we all should give Ike a round of applause for getting it done in July with such awful conditions??

It boils down to conditions and how old the track is PERIOD, regardless if the track is left in the snow, dirt, mud, spring, summer, fall ,or winter! We all have dogs that can get it done in tougher conditions than some of the others in our pack, but at the end of the day if all the scent has left the track you're not going to catch it in the dirt.

Tee Hover

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-12 AT 09:31PM (MST)[p] regardless if the track
but at the
>end of the day if
>all the scent has left
>the track you're not going
>to catch it in the
>dirt.
>
>Tee Hover

If the scent is gone you aren't going to catch that lion in any conditions, be it snow, ice, rain, or the dirt; nor are you going to catch that lion with another hound, don't give a damn who owns its. Hounds trail scent not tracks, and if there isn't any scent the tracks do not matter unless a hunter can walk that hound down the track to a place where scent can be found or the lion can be jumped..........if a hound is just chasing holes in the snow rather than trailing scent it will most likely end up with an elk not a lion. The south slopes bare off around here the same day or following day after a storm, and if a hound can't change up from snow to frozen or muddy shale and find scent it's over........

Three of us sat down to coffee sometime back and talked about tough tracks. You know, what each of us remembered of being the hardest to catch over the years and it wasn't in the dirt. All three of us agreed that the open, frozen ground found on the south slopes of nearly any ridge is among the toughest trail to follow (in the time period where the ground freezes hard at night and thaws in the afternoon). We all also agreed that if the ground doesn't freeze at night the ground holds more scent, that is until a person gets into the heat of summer.

Ike
http://www.ingramwildlife.com/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom