Utah Muzzy Bull

mlycrzy

Very Active Member
My wife killed her first bull on the opener of the LE muzzy hunt this year. We are originally from NV and the opportunities to hunt bulls in the rut is slim. All of the elk hunts we have drawn there are in Nov-Dec so when I noticed she had close to enough points to pull a muzzy tag this year I put her in and she drew.
Our goal was to experience the rut and have a chance to harvest a mature, dark horned bull. Opening morning we had 4 bulls getting after it about 45 minutes before sun up. We decided to head towards the bull that was most vocal and was upwind from our location. After we got into position it was a waiting game as he would bugle after each of our cow calls but he would never commit. In my mind I was thinking we are going to waste the first hours of opening morning on a bull we may never see but we were having fun anyways. 30 minutes into our exchanges my son whispered and asked if I had any toilet paper. Apparently mother nature had been calling for some time and the stomach pain was becoming too much for him :) I handed him some TP and off he went downwind. I knew as soon as he got out of site the bull would commit and show himself and sure enough that’s what he did. It didn’t take long to realize this was a good bull for the unit we were hunting and my wife really liked the looks of his long fronts and dark antlers. He came into 95-100 yards straight on and stopped. My wife said she a good rest on his chest but I told her to wait until he turned broadside and then let him have it. Her shot was money and he ran 40 yards to the edge of the trees and was sick and wobbly. I grabbed the 2nd muzzy and she put one more in him just as he was going down ending her hunt an hour into opening morning. My son came running back just in time to see the final shot :)

IMG_3275.jpeg

IMG_3288.jpeg

IMG_3358.jpeg

IMG_3286.jpeg

great bull!!

Is a non hunter carrying a second muzzleloader for lisenced hunter kosher? I could care less, seems like a great idea to me, not asking to nit pick, just curious. Wish I had been carrying a 2nd muzzy 2 weeks ago for the cow my father shot, knocked her over and then she got up and ran away never to be seen again.

great bull!!

Is a non hunter carrying a second muzzleloader for lisenced hunter kosher? I could care less, seems like a great idea to me, not asking to nit pick, just curious. Wish I had been carrying a 2nd muzzy 2 weeks ago for the cow my father shot, knocked her over and then she got up and ran away never to be seen again.
I’ve never read any where multiple muzzleloaders couldn’t be carried but that is a good question regarding a non-tag holder carrying the extra for the hunter.

I’ve never read any where multiple muzzleloaders couldn’t be carried but that is a good question regarding a non-tag holder carrying the extra for the hunter.
I’ve often wondered about this as well. Maybe the non hunter just likes to shoot coyotes with a muzzy?

It is your constitutional right to "keep and bear arms", and this has been challenged many times in many states, which used to have a license requirement. Idaho changed their ruling in 2014. . The findings have all resulted in agreement that unless you are prohibited by law from being in possession (felon), you can carry an additional firearm for a friend or relative without a license. The act of hunting yourself would be prohibited, unless you had an appropriate license for the season, species, etc.

Congrats on the bull.

I think having a 2nd muzzleloader readily available for a quick follow up shot is flirting with what is legal and 100% crossed a moral line. Muzzleloader only hunts are intended to be a more primitive hunt to give the game a little more advantage to escape. That advantage comes in the form of limited range of the weapon and how fast multiple shots can be fired.

If you can have more than one muzzleloader readily available to shoot at game, where do you stop? Would be nice to have 10 guns ready to rip off 10 shots in under a minute if needed...

Congrats on the bull.

I think having a 2nd muzzleloader readily available for a quick follow up shot is flirting with what is legal and 100% crossed a moral line. Muzzleloader only hunts are intended to be a more primitive hunt to give the game a little more advantage to escape. That advantage comes in the form of limited range of the weapon and how fast multiple shots can be fired.

If you can have more than one muzzleloader readily available to shoot at game, where do you stop? Would be nice to have 10 guns ready to rip off 10 shots in under a minute if needed...
Cool bull, I carry 3… crossed a moral line BS start your own moral thread my good people pull the Fn board out of your high and mighty ass.

Heavy all the way back. Great bull

There is a place to discuss multiple muzzys, but this ain't it

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom