Utah shed hunting closure today through April 30

This is a good move, But does this have any teeth?
If not, it will just punish the honest guy.

There better be some real consequences for those caught looking for sheds.

Last edited:

There better be some real consequences.
Last time it worked okay. You always have the rule breakers. It did seem to keep a lot of people from stressing them when they did it before, but yeah you still had the people who did it anyway. It’s a good move. Some parts of the state it’s getting quite bad. They’re already feeding at multiple locations across the state. The DWR’s official announcement even says they’re already seeing diminished fawn survival. I wish some people would understand this is about the wildlife, not them.

How so? If you're picking up antlers during the closed time period you are no longer being honest. If you are not aware of the rule then you are being ignorant and that has never worked as a defense.

Take pictures of license plates, a lot of spotting scores and phone cams are out with sportsmen. No one should be hiking on winter range. If people want to exercise, there are ways other than hike on winter range. Snow shoeing, skiing up canyons in deep snow, etc. where animals aren't wintering. It is hard to enforce, but we can all try to help. No perfect solutions.

How so? If you're picking up antlers during the closed time period you are no longer being honest. If you are not aware of the rule then you are being ignorant and that has never worked as a defense.
If the punishment is Hunting, fishing and trapping license suspension (Lacey act) for 3-5 years and a several thousand dollar fine then you can bet you @ss people will think twice about breaking the law. If it's a couple hundred dollar fine, It won't even slow down the flat brims.

There are people making $50k and more selling shed antlers. If you think a law with no teeth is going to stop them, you are sadly mistaken.

2023-02-07 (3).png

All of these Utah instagram flat brimmer, narcissistic, hunt heroes think they are God and won't quit exploiting our wildlife here in Utah. You have guys like Martin Chagnovich, Ryan Carter of DC outfitters, and Scouttohunt on instagram promoting shed hunting by offering $50,000 in cash or bitcoin if they find that magic painted elk or deer shed. The practice of having a treasure antler shed hunt should be banned when it involves a cash prize. Keep hammering away and pressuring our deer/ elk herds. I encourage you to call the Utah DWR director Jim Shirley, ask for Mr. Shirley (801) 538-4700 and have these type of scouttohunt shed hunts banned. Utah DWR is already looking into this scouttohunt $50,000 cash, bitcoin shed hunt bs !!

Shed hunting is fun, it’s great exercise but I really wish it wouldn’t have got the exposure it did. I also can’t see how scout to hunt is good for hunting. There is a lot of profit being made off our wildlife (a public resource) and I don’t think it’s for the greater good.

One More Rule That Won't Be Enforced!

I Can Hear It Now:

I'm Just Hiking!

I Need The Exercise!

I'm Not Really StockPiling Anything!

I'm Looking For Turkey Tracks!

I Took Time Off Of Work & I Can't Re-Schedule!

And For Most SDRAT:

F'It!

I'm Going & Don't Care About Laws!

All of these Utah instagram flat brimmer, narcissistic, hunt heroes think they are God and won't quit exploiting our wildlife here in Utah. You have guys like Martin Chagnovich, Ryan Carter of DC outfitters, and Scouttohunt on instagram promoting shed hunting by offering $50,000 in cash or bitcoin if they find that magic painted elk or deer shed. The practice of having a treasure antler shed hunt should be banned when it involves a cash prize. Keep hammering away and pressuring our deer/ elk herds. I encourage you to call the Utah DWR director Jim Shirley, ask for Mr. Shirley (801) 538-4700 and have these type of scouttohunt shed hunts banned. Utah DWR is already looking into this scouttohunt $50,000 cash, bitcoin shed hunt bs !!
I did not know at all this was a thing.

Hey hawk!

It's a Business We Should Start!

But Keep Quiet on the HIDING Part!

We could say the Sheds Were Naturally Dropped!

I'll Bet'Ya It'd Work!

If you Utah guys want to, I’ve got 10 acres in Idaho and every Saturday and Sunday I could hide antlers and you guys could come over and practice your skills of finding them.

If you Utah guys want to, I’ve got 10 acres in Idaho and every Saturday and Sunday I could hide antlers and you guys could come over and practice your skills of finding them.
I’m in! Can I ride a SxS around all over your land?

The types of dudes that chase wildlife around for horns are the same kind that tear up the forest on sxs.

Ya!

And After You've Heard Me Screaming for 25 F'N years because of The Abuse The State is Gonna Change it all with a 15 Minute Online Course & Fix Everything after The F'N Damage is already Done!

The types of dudes that chase wildlife around for horns are the same kind that tear up the forest on sxs.

Last time this happened Eastern Nevada got hit hard all I picked up was bud light bottles. Same ethics drive around the hills and throw your beers out.

Nobody ever found the bitcoin bone?

It's about time they did a closure. It's a joke out here, people crawling around here like ticks on a Pine Valley buck. You won't stop them all but I guarantee a lot of the sneaky guys trying to get away with it will get reported. I doubt the DWR will do anything to the lawbreakers but they need to start making an example of those that get caught.

If reincarnation is a real thing please don't let me come back as a mule deer living in Utah. :eek:

By no means do I support or like SFW, but if you're interested in helping purchase food pellets for the deer in northern Utah, here is a fundraiser they're doing for a gun that 100% of the proceeds go toward deer pellets to feed deer in areas around the state it's becoming really harsh on them:

One More Rule That Won't Be Enforced!

I Can Hear It Now:

I'm Just Hiking!

I Need The Exercise!

I'm Not Really StockPiling Anything!

I'm Looking For Turkey Tracks!

I Took Time Off Of Work & I Can't Re-Schedule!

And For Most SDRAT:

F'It!

I'm Going & Don't Care About Laws!
Wrong again Bessy! This law, like every other law, will be enforced by the individual on himself. I think you mean that there aren’t enough enforcement officers to get out and catch the few who decide to break the law.

By no means do I support or like SFW, but if you're interested in helping purchase food pellets for the deer in northern Utah, here is a fundraiser they're doing for a gun that 100% of the proceeds go toward deer pellets to feed deer in areas around the state it's becoming really harsh on them:

The dumb thing about this, just days after raking in MILLIONS in auction money and tag applications, they are doing yet another fundraiser for the deer? What in the HELL was last weekend of the EXPO for? Pockets or Wildlife?

The dumb thing about this, just days after raking in MILLIONS in auction money and tag applications, they are doing yet another fundraiser for the deer? What in the HELL was last weekend of the EXPO for? Pockets or Wildlife?
I don’t disagree. I’ll just trust 100% of these funds will go to feeding the deer that desperately need it right now. I didn’t attend the expo, so I bought $100 worth of squares. But trust me, the thought crossed my mind too no doubt.

How do you know they haven't been helping feed the deer already?

In the email I received they said they get hundreds of questions from people about what they could do to help the deer right now. This was there way of letting people participate in helping feed the deer.

Why is that a bad thing?

I don't know for sure but I can all but guarantee they as well as MDF, and probably other org's have contributed to the feeding efforts already.

I actually enjoy shed hunting more than hunting. Whenever we kill a buck, I always think dang now we will not find his sheds - sort of catch and release hunting. Plus, it is open to everyone unlike hunting out west. Stupid rule, it will not stop people from hitting the hills to look, find them, hide them, and mark them. Well intended though. Going tomorrow morning in fact - no snow here though and on my ground. These feeding programs are feel good photo ops - proven over and over again to be ineffective and unsustainable. Improve/expand the habitat, keep predators in balance.

You should check out the tags they have for chapter banquets now, complete joke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom