$$$ Utah shed hunting permit is coming

Yea, especially since you can just happen on them when you are in the mountains...how do you enforce/regulate that? It isn't going to impact the people that make money from sheds, it will just impact the casual shed hunter who is really just taking a hike. Not sure the logic here...

I feel that if you are picking up shed antlers on public ground that you should have a hunting license. I don't agree with additional permits above and beyond that, but I feel having a hunting license should be a pre-requisite. Just my .02. That might be the rule, I have no clue.

I think it is a great idea. I think it will generate enough revenue they can put some of the expo tags back in the public draw. Limit the number of shed hunting tags - they will sell out every year. Even better create a point system for shed tags. Can you pick up dead heads with a shed tag? Asking for a friend.

Although some of these things they are doing may be good for the wildlife (not just about shed hunting or this meeting specifically, but in general over the last few years) if you take a step back and look at it from a different perspective, it is literally mind boggling the things they are pushing on us and make laws over, I kind of realized this when talking to a non shed hunter friend last year and I mentioned that they made shed hunting illegal for a certain time period, his response “that seems like a weird thing to make illegal”, yes, yes it does, although in some cases I think a shed closure is necessary and the only logical way to limit shed hunters from going out disturbing wildlife, it is insane to me that they can make it illegal for me to even as much as look at a shed lying on the ground, (heaven forbid I mark it on my gps), I am not complaining as I think where we are at is still fine, but freedom for these things are falling out of reach and it scares me knowing it’s going to keep getting worse and eventually we will all have to become golfers instead of hunters. We have plenty of hippies in the city trying to take away our rights we don’t need our own DWR taking them away to this extent.

I think it is a great idea. I think it will generate enough revenue they can put some of the expo tags back in the public draw. Limit the number of shed hunting tags - they will sell out every year. Even better create a point system for shed tags. Can you pick up dead heads with a shed tag? Asking for a friend.
Heck, auction shed tags at the expo.

Although some of these things they are doing may be good for the wildlife (not just about shed hunting or this meeting specifically, but in general over the last few years) if you take a step back and look at it from a different perspective, it is literally mind boggling the things they are pushing on us and make laws over, I kind of realized this when talking to a non shed hunter friend last year and I mentioned that they made shed hunting illegal for a certain time period, his response “that seems like a weird thing to make illegal”, yes, yes it does, although in some cases I think a shed closure is necessary and the only logical way to limit shed hunters from going out disturbing wildlife, it is insane to me that they can make it illegal for me to even as much as look at a shed lying on the ground, (heaven forbid I mark it on my gps), I am not complaining as I think where we are at is still fine, but freedom for these things are falling out of reach and it scares me knowing it’s going to keep getting worse and eventually we will all have to become golfers instead of hunters. We have plenty of hippies in the city trying to take away our rights we don’t need our own DWR taking them away to this extent.

When does "freedom" end and industry begin?

Like bait and cams, the issues surrounding shed hunting are driven by a commercial market.

Not hard to convince sportsmen to let them lay so deer aren't pushed, if they know the industry isn't out there not caring about the resource, but the $$$.

Someday in this State we are going to have to address the commercial side of hunting, or we all will get to sit in the boat while they sink it

"I feel that if you are picking up shed antlers on public ground that you should have a hunting license."

Lmmfao This is why we are so regulated cause people don't know what they are talking about!

Why would we need a hunting license to pick up a shed? I'm not hunting anything!

Yea, especially since you can just happen on them when you are in the mountains...how do you enforce/regulate that? It isn't going to impact the people that make money from sheds, it will just impact the casual shed hunter who is really just taking a hike. Not sure the logic here...
They can’t enforce the laws they have now, let alone new ones…,

I like the idea of states with closures can’t come here. There’s a lot of ideas in there I’m not sure what they are going to end up with. But I’ll bet a license and fee passes.

If sheds were just added to the Lacey act most of the issues around them would be solved.

It would take out the you tubers, IG crowd that turned a fun family hobby into a freaking big buisness.
Hoss what would adding them to the Lacey act do? I don’t know enough about it to understand what your getting at.

Maybe require a person to purchase a permit to sell sheds. Telling random people walking public land, that they need a license or permit if they find a shed is ridiculous. Like so much of society now, we all pay for the choices of very few.

Hoss what would adding them to the Lacey act do? I don’t know enough about it to understand what your getting at.

Bans the sale of wildlife basically.

The act that stopped market hunting.

I'm old enough to remember when shed hunting was a pass time folks did for exercise or family outings.

The explosion of it, and the problems associated follow the same timeline as the explosion in commercial buyers, and YouTube/IG.

They'll Baffle Most With:

The First Year:

You Must Have A Hunting/Fishing License!

NOT MANY WILL WHINE!

The Next Year:

You Must Get Yourself A FREE/OR NEARLY FREE SHED LICENSE!

Most Will Tolerate It!

The Next Year:

You Will Buy A Shed License To Participate At A Fairly Reasonable Price!

Everybody On Here Will WHINE Like Babies But Will Buy The License!

The Next Year:

BEND OVER!

Prices Are Going Up!

Nothin Changes With The EXCEPTION Of A Few More Law Breakers & NO Enforcement To Enforce More Laws That Will Be Broken By A Select Few!

Who Loses Again?

Yup!

The Honest Guy!

They'll Baffle Most With:

The First Year:

You Must Have A Hunting/Fishing License!

NOT MANY WILL WHINE!

The Next Year:

You Must Get Yourself A FREE/OR NEARLY FREE SHED LICENSE!

Most Will Tolerate It!

The Next Year:

You Will Buy A Shed License To Participate At A Fairly Reasonable Price!

Everybody On Here Will WHINE Like Babies But Will Buy The License!

The Next Year:

BEND OVER!

Prices Are Going Up!

Nothin Changes With The EXCEPTION Of A Few More Law Breakers & NO Enforcement To Enforce More Laws That Will Be Broken By A Select Few!

Who Loses Again?

Yup!

The Honest Guy!

We could just address the industry that in every circumstance is the catalyst for this.

Or

We can just keep pretending we are all in this "together"

Anybody Know How Many People Were Caught & Cited For Picking The CHIP Embedded Sheds Up That Were Set Out By The DWR Before Shed Season Started?

I'd Like To See The Dollar Amount Brought In With Citations Versus What The DWR Spent On The Operation?

DAX?

JakeH?

Anybody?

Can You Dig That Info Up For Us?

Or Are We Gonna Need A Committee?

This is one of the lamest money grab I have ever seen, and it will only get worse. Me and my boys shed hunt every year. Like mentioned above, we do it for fun and exercise. And we love it. The best sound in the world (or sight) is to see one of your kids pick up a big elk shed and scream like he just won the lottery. We have a small pile of sheds in the corner of our family room. We dont sale them. We often pick one out of the pile and tell the story how that one was found and who found it.

They will find ways to charge us for everything, eventually. Taxed on my pay check, taxed on my money for buying food, gas, and everything else. Now on sheds there will be a fee. Soon there will be a fee booth at every trail head for hiking or riding. OOPS, I better not give them any ideas.

Hey Robi!

You Read Post #33?

This is one of the lamest money grab I have ever seen, and it will only get worse. Me and my boys shed hunt every year. Like mentioned above, we do it for fun and exercise. And we love it. The best sound in the world (or sight) is to see one of your kids pick up a big elk shed and scream like he just won the lottery. We have a small pile of sheds in the corner of our family room. We dont sale them. We often pick one out of the pile and tell the story how that one was found and who found it.

They will find ways to charge us for everything, eventually. Taxed on my pay check, taxed on my money for buying food, gas, and everything else. Now on sheds there will be a fee. Soon there will be a fee booth at every trail head for hiking or riding. OOPS, I better not give them any ideas.

Will the shed license allow you to hunt statewide? If so that’s, generous.
Or, will it be for specific units? Will they offer preference points or bonus points for permits? There are so many questions to consider.

Are committees being formed to address these question? Will the DWR ask for any of the conservation orgs to help them? I’d suspect yes, in order to better manage the workload.

Hey Robi!

You Read Post #33?
Yep, and to the point of more laws to enforce, this is what happened to me this last year on the deer hunt, rifle season.

A girl in camp killed a cool funky 2x4. The deboned it out, and brought back the head. She wanted to mount it, but nobody knew how to skin off the head except me. So Was doing it on the tailgate. Fish cop drives by, stops and comes back. Very nice guy actually. Talked for a second and asked to see proper tag and what not. So it was produced, I reminded him of the previous year and my sons big 3x3 he killed and he checked us in the middle of the blizzard. We all laughed and said yes. (story to that one)
Anyways, we talked for about 5 minutes then I asked him if he had ran into anyone with electronics attached to the rifle like the BDX scopes and what not. He didnt even know what I was talking about. He smiled and said, there are so many rules that they make every year, that it is impossible to keep up on all of them.

Too many rules!

Will the shed license allow you to hunt statewide? If so that’s, generous.
Or, will it be for specific units? Will they offer preference points or bonus points for permits? There are so many questions to consider.

Are committees being formed to address these question? Will the DWR ask for any of the conservation orgs to help them? I’d suspect yes, in order to better manage the workload.
Like others have said, will they split it into 2 season? Early and late? Will they auction them off at the EXPO? With that be one one the 200 tags available to draw? What are the %'s of youth vs adults vs senior tags? Too much to consider. Definitely needs/must have a committee.

I'm going to push for Wyoming to require a license as well. I think $5 for residents $300 for NR's is a good place to start.
Haha news flash, nobody cares about what you want pushed, especially Wyoming fish and game. They may act like they do, but they don't. I'm sure they humor you. Well old Buzz is at it again, as they are laughing about it in the office.

Haha news flash, nobody cares about what you want pushed, especially Wyoming fish and game. They may act like they do, but they don't. I'm sure they humor you. Well old Buzz is at it again, as they are laughing about it in the office.
Its already being talked about, BTW, we don't allow NR's to shed hunt here the first few days.

Wonder how that happened?

Laffin'....

Its already being talked about, BTW, we don't allow NR's to shed hunt here the first few days.

Wonder how that happened?

Laffin'....
Not sure how it happened, but I know it wasn't because of you. You honestly think it was because of you? Get a grip!

None of us have the power that you think you have. Time to come back to Earth.

I think it would be even better if game and fish would make it like the Hunt draw application.
Apply for certain areas and only give out so many tags for shed Hunting.
Then build points etc. etc.
And also only 10 percent of tags go to NR.
Then Wyoming could do the same thing

Will the permits be valid statewide or do we have to pick a unit, lol. Are they going to charge extra for premium units?

Add It To The List!

Won't Be Any LE Units The First Year!

But After That Watch The Hell Out!

Then Maybe We Could Add Some Conservation/Bid Shed Permits!

Will the permits be valid statewide or do we have to pick a unit, lol. Are they going to charge extra for premium units?

Abuse leads to regulation. Unfortunately, shed hunting seems to be a magnet for abuse of land and animals. My disdain for the practice of shed "hunting" grows each year and I am disgusted by what I have seen and heard of happening on the winter range. My own state gets raped each year during the closed period when only honest people obey the law. Bad behavior requires increased enforcement which requires $$. Joe public already pays for the lands, they shouldn't have to pick up the tab for enforcement as well.

The fact that any part of a game animal can be sold for profit is wrong in my opinion.

The statement that "sheds lying on the ground" aren't within the jurisdiction of state game agencies doesn't acknowledge some pretty extensive legal precedence.------SS

Oh no how will all the flat brim diesel driving social media types make it? A permit to take what is public resource is so over the top. I mean its not like we require a permit to get a xmas tree, or a permit to mine, graze grass, or a permit to use an atv, or harvest fire wood, or... Well crap... Never mind...

Bans the sale of wildlife basically.

The act that stopped market hunting.

I'm old enough to remember when shed hunting was a pass time folks did for exercise or family outings.

The explosion of it, and the problems associated follow the same timeline as the explosion in commercial buyers, and YouTube/IG.
Yeah I’d be ok with that. Money has made it worse.

Going to be some additional fees collected in Wyoming this spring via citations from NR's forgetting about the new shed hunting regs.

NR's need a conservation stamp ($21.50) and can't start until May 8.

How is it "cooperation" with other states to charge residents or non-residents to pick up bones.?? He doesn't mean it in the normal sense, he literally means we should operate the same as them... I'm glad Rusty said, "we can do what we want" at least.

I remember when you bought a fishing license in California. Now you need a two-rod stamp if you opt for that. You need an abalone card, a salmon stamp, a steelhead punch card, and a crab stamp. Plus, a lawyer to interpret what the limits are and where and what gear you can use and when. You need a GPS and a depth finder to fish the ocean now.

I remember when you bought a fishing license in California. Now you need a two-rod stamp if you opt for that. You need an abalone card, a salmon stamp, a steelhead punch card, and a crab stamp. Plus, a lawyer to interpret what the limits are and where and what gear you can use and when. You need a GPS and a depth finder to fish the ocean now.

It is wild.

When we were at Depoe Bay in Oregon I was sitting in the deck and looked up fishing license and regs for Oregon.

My gawd you guys on the coast must have Phd to fish

Last few years there is more pressure during shed hunt than the damn rifle hunt
I hate regulation but the bunch of dickheads out there are causing it to head that way they are not even sneaky about it they just cut the fence and drive on through cus they glassed one up!!!
Then the $$$ if they cut out the $……
I hate what this has become

All I got out of that video is that because there is money being made off wildlife resources, dwr wants their cut.

Again, just hurting the small guy as they lump us all into the same category as the commercialized group.

Tax the clowns turning it into a business to make something for nothing and leave us little guys out of the mix.

And really?! They are proposing a person to have a combo license to pick up a shed? What if folk’s don’t hunt game and just want to pick up an antler if/when they see one?

I don’t agree with any of it. Especially the part where “we are Utah, we can do what we want.” Why not work with the rest of the states and come up with a standard season instead of encouraging others to flock to the areas that are opened when others are closed?

“Divided States of America”

And really?! They are proposing a person to have a combo license to pick up a shed? What if folk’s don’t hunt game and just want to pick up an antler if/when they see one?
Sort of think your answered your own question...buy a combo license and pick up all you want.

Everyone enjoys/uses wildlife and nobody wants to pay for it...typical.

This brings up a much larger issue: shed hunting for profit and online exploitation of public lands. Ethics and legality. We do not allow people to harvest wood for their firewood business off public lands, why we allowing the Chesser Cat and the like to fund their lives of exploitation thru the sale of forest products for dogs to chew on? Maybe for profit shed hunters, YOUTUBERS and IG'ers should be made to declare their intentions, register their business with a state regulator board, and obtain commercial use permits from the FS and BLM like outfitters are. Instead of user days (this is one of the ways outfitters pay the USFS and BLM), for profit shed hunters recieve an allotment of sheds they can pick and sell.

Does this open the door in a way public land outfitters will feel threatened by? For sure. Dont worry though, in 20 years youll need a reservation just to get onto public land to shed hunt, so dont jump down my throat. Just too many humans running around.

Last edited:
Regulation after regulation after regulation, that will absolutely do NOTHING for our wildlife. How is it OK for DWR to make you buy a license or have a season for some "THING" that is not wildlife anymore??? A shed antler is nothing more than an INANIMATE object laying on the ground. It is not part of wildlife anymore. If harrassment of wildlife on winter range is the issue.....enforce that rule... its already illegal, just enforce it.. I wish time and money would be put into **** that actually matters....all off this emotion based jealousy driven BS has to stop. "If I cant be out there gathering sheds every day, I dont want anyone else to" My hell its mostly public land, we are all public...we dont need more ridiculous rules that make no sense.

I've Said For Years:

Don't We Need To Start Enforcing Current Rules Before Making More?

Regulation after regulation after regulation, that will absolutely do NOTHING for our wildlife. How is it OK for DWR to make you buy a license or have a season for some "THING" that is not wildlife anymore??? A shed antler is nothing more than an INANIMATE object laying on the ground. It is not part of wildlife anymore. If harrassment of wildlife on winter range is the issue.....enforce that rule... its already illegal, just enforce it.. I wish time and money would be put into **** that actually matters....all off this emotion based jealousy driven BS has to stop. "If I cant be out there gathering sheds every day, I dont want anyone else to" My hell its mostly public land, we are all public...we dont need more ridiculous rules that make no sense.

Should I be able to drill an oil well anywhere on public land I want?

Go fall and extract a bunch of trees on public land so I can build a house?

Should I be able to shoot and elk, deer, pronghorn anytime I feel like, without a license?

If we have no rules, we have no resource, fact.

In case you weren't aware, management costs money.

The same question is the root of ruining everything theses days :
“How do I make money off this?”

It’s happened to hunting, fishing, shed hunting, wood cutting, etc…

These activities I listed have been American heritage past down through generations. They have been hijacked in recent decades for profit.

I’ve come to believe that the worst cliché statement being repeated theses days in the hunting world is :
“Hunters need to stick together and not fight amongst each other.”

Bullshit!!! Those of us that still care about the purity of spending time in the woods need to weed out the dipshits. Our inability to regulate ourselves has lead to Fish and Wildlife and even state legislators making decisions for us. And guess what those decisions always revolve around, MONEY.

I hate to say it, but many of us on this forum are the problem.

Its not about money with shed hunting....every damn one of us can go out on our public lands and hike, or do whatever. I dont give a **** if you make money gathering antlers, we all have the same opportunity. It comes down to jealousy among everyone. All of the so called "reasons" for having the regulations, are ALREADY regulated with rules and laws. Mainly harassment of wildlife. Its already illegal....so enforce what we have.

AND HELL NO, it is not drilling for oil...or logging...OR Shooting deer and elk...

Going to be needing a license to collect sheds in UT is what I'm seeing.

If that's your biggest problem/gripe you have in life, feel lucky.

NR's already need a conservation stamp in WY to pick them up.

It honestly makes people look stupid when they say make sheds illegal to sale or bring up anything about the money aspect
IT WILL CHANGE NOTHING!!!!!

I know so many people that shed hunt for fun that it will not change a dam thing just try it then you can cry about something else when it doesn't work!

But!

But!

But!

Hornkiller!

Your Pile Of Sheds Is Bigger Than Mine!

It honestly makes people look stupid when they say make sheds illegal to sale or bring up anything about the money aspect
IT WILL CHANGE NOTHING!!!!!

I know so many people that shed hunt for fun that it will not change a dam thing just try it then you can cry about something else when it doesn't work!

The same question is the root of ruining everything theses days :
“How do I make money off this?”

It’s happened to hunting, fishing, shed hunting, wood cutting, etc…

These activities I listed have been American heritage past down through generations. They have been hijacked in recent decades for profit.

I’ve come to believe that the worst cliché statement being repeated theses days in the hunting world is :
“Hunters need to stick together and not fight amongst each other.”

Bullshit!!! Those of us that still care about the purity of spending time in the woods need to weed out the dipshits. Our inability to regulate ourselves has lead to Fish and Wildlife and even state legislators making decisions for us. And guess what those decisions always revolve around, MONEY.

I hate to say it, but many of us on this forum are the problem.
I agree with this, but unfortunately, I think the dip shits are the overwhelming majority!

Hoss has enlightened me I think. Bit of a Red Pill if you will. Why would any DWR be able to regulate the picking up of an object in the wild.?

Sticks? No
Pretty rocks? Nope
Flowers? No way

But all of a sudden they can regulate bones laying around.? 🤔🤔🤨🤨

Hoss has enlightened me I think. Bit of a Red Pill if you will. Why would any DWR be able to regulate the picking up of an object in the wild.?

Sticks? No
Pretty rocks? Nope
Flowers? No way

But all of a sudden they can regulate bones laying around.? 🤔🤔🤨🤨
There are regulations on rocks and flowers. And you bet your ass if you start commercially harvesting either you could get caught. Over in WY they kept catching Utah contractors coming to get the flagstone for fireplaces etc. it’s a cheap permit to get to commercially harvest. Rarely would the utards get the permits. Always had fun going with my dad to bust them doing it. Watch them stack the rock all day on pallets only to drive back to Utah empty handed. 😂

Found this on a quick search about utard land:

IMG_0437.png

Some of the smarter tards would try to get the permit the next morning to legally go get their flagstone we made them leave the day before. Oh boy I wish I could see their faces when they got there and it was all gone. One phone call after getting busted to friends with permits sure helped to ensure some of those tards never came back. 😂😂😂😂😬

Amazing how fast you can load the stone up after it’s been put on pallets for you. I miss that bobcat 😂

Some of the smarter tards would try to get the permit the next morning to legally go get their flagstone we made them leave the day before. Oh boy I wish I could see their faces when they got there and it was all gone. One phone call after getting busted to friends with permits sure helped to ensure some of those tards never came back. 😂😂😂😂😬

Amazing how fast you can load the stone up after it’s been put on pallets for you. I miss that bobcat 😂
It's been a long standing tradition that I pick up a nice sized rock from every state I hunt in and place them in my yard. I have rocks from Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, etc. Some of them I can barely pick up. I'd share a photo but SS would show up at my house. 😲

It's been a long standing tradition that I pick up a nice sized rock from every state I hunt in and place them in my yard. I have rocks from Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, etc. Some of them I can barely pick up. I'd share a photo but SS would show up at my house. 😲
They could never convict you eelgrass. The photo would be a crumbled up.

There are regulations on rocks and flowers. And you bet your ass if you start commercially harvesting either you could get caught. Over in WY they kept catching Utah contractors coming to get the flagstone for fireplaces etc. it’s a cheap permit to get to commercially harvest. Rarely would the utards get the permits. Always had fun going with my dad to bust them doing it. Watch them stack the rock all day on pallets only to drive back to Utah empty handed. 😂

Found this on a quick search about utard land:

View attachment 133323
I thought your dad took care of sheep and cows every day of his life?
Remember the cow that liked Colorado better than Wyoming.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom