UTHUNTING

vinihunt

ORYX? HOW WAS IT?

MY COUSIN SHOT HIS 38" 7" BASE SATURDAY MORNING! 4TH PERSON TO LEAVE THE GATE!!!

WHAT ABOUT YOU? HAVE FRIEND FROM COLORADO (COLORADOBOB)GOT HIS ALSO!!!

VINIHUNT

Vini,

I don't know about the guys form UT or CO , but I talked to some successful Portales guys. They shot 34" and 36" bulls. The largest they had heard of that hunt were a 40" cow and a 40" bull! I'd like to see them, 40" is a big cow , but even bigger bull.
Josh

hey josh,

40" cow? 40" bull? wow..must be a great cow and bull..do u think u can get it post with pic? that portales guys killed?? thanks!!

vinihunt

Vinny, I am thinking about putting my wife in for oryx down there.Is any one hunt better than the other?
Thanks in advance,Elkhuntr

Vinny,

The 40" oryx were not taken by te Portales guys, but just the biggest checked out that particular hunt. I will try to get pics of the oryx my guys took. I don't even know if they took any because the hunt was on-range.
It's about time to apply for this year's hunts for oryx!

Josh

UT took a 33" bull late Saturday afternoon. I took one around 10 AM----pretty good bull 39 1/4 & 38----he had 7" plus bases---green score was 90 3/8 SCI. We hunted together & took both in the foothills to the east. I'm getting photos of mine developed now--but they don't do him justices. He hanging on a meat hook. We were 68 & 69 to check out late Saturday nite about 6 PM. It was a great hunt.

Way to go Bob and Clynt. I got mine about 6 miles Southwest of "The Gap". Shot him at ten minutes to 4 PM. Couldn't get the truck to him though so I had to quarter him out and carry to the truck. Shot him about 1/2 mile from the road. I am very happy 38 1/2" with one 8" base. Had him scored the other day by SCI official scorer. 90 6/8! I have one digital picture I might try to post. Otherwise, I will scan the good still ones later.
Jeff Mott
Sanger, CA

RE: UTHUNTING gets the little one

Well I had a great time I meet Colarado bob there and his wife jean

We took a ride out to the stalion gate saterday nite before the hunt to make shure we left socorro early enuff Me and my wife had been there for 2 days looking around but only seen one dead oryx that was very young

Well it went like this I meet up with bob and his wife 4am we head out to the range bob driving his nissan pu and I and the wife in a jeep we do all the papper work and go to a meeting in the COLD!! then 160 trucks with hunters charge out in a hurry we sit back thinking we came to hunt not race LOL as we leave we dont get but a mile and start seeing lucky hunters and huntress out there with there prizes I started to get stoked up well we see are first live oryx WOW wat a treat some people think I was crazy to go on this hunt but Wow if they only had went these animals where a little scittish as we where the 3 hunt in this area for the season not a hard hunt but not a cake walk well we look around tell Bob sees a few oryx sneeking out threw a open feild he pass on them tell we get down the road and look at them again so he heads out and makes a sneek on them 2 shots later no oryx but the blood was flowing in all of us now (I will give bob credit his gun was stolen the 2 Nites before the hunt andhe had to use a gun his good freind lent himso that didnt make it any easyer)
Well of we head again we stop at another look out and there is what looks to be a lone bull and he looks really good to me so we try to get out in front of him well we loose him tell I back track and jump him out of his bed so I try to get a shot off (really 3 shots) and miss (not uncomman for me) but I take the time to follow it up and hope to jump him again with no luck me and bob split up he heads high on the hill and I head low well I see about 10 to 15 more oryx but not one that I like ( most have broken horns) then as i head back to meet bob I hear him on the radio calling for me well he got one and I could tell by his voice it was a good one we meet up and he shows me the area he stalked it and how it all unfolded we finaly get to the Animal and WOW what a smoker we was thinking 36 and heavy but he was a little over 39 and 7+ bases that went heavy all the way up with light white tips well now the pressure was on me to get one as we only have a few hours tell the first day is over and the weather forcast didnt look good for sunday infact it was looking windy and rainy already so off we go and about 45 min we find a Big group of animals out in the brush I try to make a stalk and get close and cant see them but bob his wife and my wife couldnt tell why I never shot as from there veiw it looked like I was all over them so I find them again and now there in a really thick area so off I go as Bob jean and my wife watch but they cant see anything I can see the animals as I get closer my heart starts to get going and I am shaky ))))(((( well I get within 300 yrds and get ready for a shot as the animals are relaxed and most made good targets I look threw the binos and can see all have good horns but two look great and one has some curve that I like in his horns but the other two look BIG but I cant make a shot as the big ones are with others all around them so I take a look at the 3rd bull and can not hold a good rest so after the early misses I try to get closer at about 200yrd a few of the animals have seen me and start to walk slowly away I take am still cant shoot the 2 bigger ones but look at the 3rd bull again but cant get the cross hairs to stay on him I notice I am shakey as hell and cant calm myself down so I make one last ditch effort to get closer and at about 150 they head out on a run well I pull up and the two big ones are in a bull of dust with animals all around but the 3rd is somwhat alone so I take aim and BOOM ))))(((( all I can see is dust so I figure hell I missed again (as like I said that would not be my first miss )
But I head out to look for blood or any sign of a hit well there behind a big pile of brush is my Oryx one last shot and I am done I meet up with the gang and they help me get it cleaned and loaded I know my bull is not Big but I am still stoked and will say if not for Bob and his wife meeting up with us the hunt would have only been half as fun we had a great time

If you read this Bob we had a Great time and hope to bump into you and your wife again maybe we will do a caribou hunt but as of rite now I need to find out if my wife and kid draw a Oryx tag for this season

Thanks all for the info it did help all of it did it would not have been as fun if others would not have shared info THANKS

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Roy Utah
[email protected]

UT,
Congratulations! That's a great story. I'm glad you and CO Bob killed oryx, and had fun. That area is amazing. Did you see any mule deer?

Josh

UTHUNTING-----Jean & I also had a great time. Good luck to Amy on the draw !!! If she is successful, I'll volunteer my services as a sherpa. Also the caribou hunt is set for Thanksgiving week of 2005-----plenty of time to plan !! CB

Well we will see how the draw gos in new mexico and wyoming then we might need to plan a hunt

We did see one nice muley outside of the range infact tonight was the first time I looked at the video we took of him he was a really tall 25"? and 28"? wide his front forks where good but his backs where a little week but even...

Bob you will be one of the first ones to know if my wife and daughter draw Oryx....

O-by the way I posted the last post and after I looked it over I noticed how bad I spell sorry all

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Roy Utah

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom