vaccine coming? looks like it.

I’ll be waiting... over there at the END of the line. No way i’d be running in as a guinea pig on a half-as**d rushed to market vaccine. Maybe after a few years of documented safety. This all seems so ill advised.

No doubt there is a vaccine coming. The question is when will it be available to the masses.
They have been saying 12 to 18 months. But I think the fact that we are already ahead of the petri dish and mice trials it shouldn't take that long. Human trials have already started so maybe before the end of the year.

Every year in the US we manufacture 160 million doses of flu vaccine between the end of one flu season(March) and the beginning of the next (November). This is different from the coronavirus in that they already have vaccines for dozens of different flu strains and just have to decide on the ones they want and manufacture them.

There are at least 70 different coronavirus vaccines under development around the world.

Johnson & Johnson has agreed to scale up to make a billion doses of their vaccine. But they aren't the front runner for timing. They don't expect to start human clinical trials until September and have some for use in early 2021.

There are at least two or three that have already started human clinical trials. A company called Moderna started clinical trials on March 16th.

It's good that a lot of different people are trying to make vaccines because some of them probably aren't going to work.

Since I am over 65 I should be near the front. Healthcare workers, first responders and then me. I can guarantee I will be near the front of that line.

Homer, you are probably right.

Liberal lawyers in my state are trying to get the prisoners freed. (Earthjustice and ACLU) So far they haven't gotten any released. Judges have ruled against them.
Our prisons and jails haven't had the first case of coranavirus yet. State's argument is that jail is the safest place they can be and every prisoner there chose to be there.

These are people that are in jail because they chose to break the rules of society. Why would anyone think they would follow the rules during a pandemic if we let them out.

17 years and there is still no vaccine produced for SARS.
7 years and there is still no vaccine produced for MERS.
Chances for a wuhan-corona vaccine getting produced are fairly low.

17 years and there is still no vaccine produced for SARS.
7 years and there is still no vaccine produced for MERS.
Chances for a wuhan-corona vaccine getting produced are fairly low.
That is because in both cases the diseases went away before vaccines were finished. Once the threat was gone, there was no money in proceeding.
There is a very good Joe Rogan podcast with Michael Osterholm who is a top expert in infectious disease epidemiology. They discuss this topic and he says if they would have continued to get these vaccines devoloped and had them available, they could possibly provide partial protection (since they are all coronaviruses) and converting these to a full on covid 19 vaccine would have been much quicker.
Much like flu vaccines are tweeked each year to match new seasonal flu strains and even when they're not quite right, they still give partial protection.

Zwickey, I think you are right on with your post. Sars and Mers went away on their own and there wasn't any money to be made for private companies to develop these vaccines.
All that has changed, there are billions to be made for the people that come up with a vaccine.
Johnson & Johnson agreed to invest the money to be able to make a billion doses because Trump has already agreed to buy the vaccine from them.

It's possible that whatever vaccine is developed there may need to be boosters. Whether it's every year or every 10 years like Diphtheria, Pertussis and Tetanus I don't think anyone knows.

Side effects, often vaccines have mild side effects since your immune system is ramping up to attack the virus that's been injected into you.
A while back I had a flu shot. pneumonia and a shingles shot all at the same time. I had a slight fever and didn't feel good for a couple of days.
I do remember a few years back they were giving people flu shots that were giving people the flu.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom