Valle Vidal 2019 1st hunt rifle

adoporto

My brother drew a tag this year and we will be heading up Thursday afternoon. We were able to make two separate trips to scout with little elk turning up. We called a few in a couple of weeks ago but have yet to see an actual heard. We scouted the western side of the Valle Vidal border of the unit. I am a little confused with the Unit as Valle Vidal is in Unit 55A. Is the whole unit fair game or is it just the USFS part of the area. I don't see any BLM or State land outside of the USFS. I am using Google Earth with Onx overlaying as a map. It seem like the majority of unit 55A is private. After going over the unit from the NMDGF it seem like the actual Valle Vidal Unit itself is fairly small. Any tips for this hunt we will be with a 4 man group, no horses or guide.

VV is a special hunt area inside 55A. If you start in the center, you won't have to worry about accidentally missing the border because you'll kill an elk before you get there. The unit was once owned by Penzoil Corp and is under the management of USFS.

This hunt is for VV only and not the entirety of 55A. Also, you cannot hunt the Greenwood area this year (essentially south and west of La Belle cabin - has the red roof).

If you consider 101,794acres small with only 20tags for the unit, and only turned up a few bulls, then I'd go to King Soopers to fill your bros tag, cuz you're doing something wrong! Lol we drove in to the VV one evening of the 2nd bow hunt and saw two amazing bulls, 320-330ish, both with 15-20cows off the side of the main road at 5pm! That evening when we left, we stopped and I cow called and got 5 different bulls to answer!
The wife, myself and 2 of our 3 daughters have all hunted the VV and all tagged out with nothing smaller than a 321 bull. One daughter has drawn it twice as she was grandfathered in from when the youth hunt didnt count against the OIL hunt! Expect cold and snow as I believe forecast is calling for 2-6" and cold, the VV is a bitter cold and windy place when the storms roll thru. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

PM me if you need some more info

That hunt may turn out to be tough, have buddies on the muzzle hunt right now one killed a nice 330ish and the other is still on horseback. Maybe he is holding out for a bigger bull but very little bugling. I'm sure some cows will come into estrus again but they will be getting poked by the smaller bulls.

A 4 man group heading up in a matter of days, two scouting trips in and STILL asking elementary questions about the VV hunt???????? Something seems off with this.

Good Luck!

You have a great tag as I'm sure you already know.

The VV is like hunting on an elk farm. My buddy and I drew the only two non-resident unguided rifle tags for a hunt back in 2005. It was the very first time we ever applied in NM!

We say lots of elk, including some nice bulls. We did NOT see any of the 330" - 350" bulls that you always hear about being in there. We did shoot a couple of nice 6x6's though.

It was a great hunt and a lifetime memory for both of us.

Be Safe and Have Fun!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom