Valle Vidal Help?

matlopez1

I had some awesome luck this year and drew a Zone 55 Valle Vidal / Greenwood Rifle Tag. The hunt is October 15-19. My hunting buddies and I have hunted the Gila Wilderness in 16B and public land in Colorado, but we do not have a lot of experience with northern New Mexico or this unit. As everyone knows, this is a once in lifetime tag and I really want to make the most of it. I'm reaching out for any information on this unit. I have never killed a bull before and really want to capitalize on this tag.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. Good luck to everyone this year.

If you really want to make the most of that hunt, horses are a must. I'm not saying it can't be done without them, but the Valle is road less (with the exception of the main road going east west and the loop road). Big country to try and tackle it on foot. You will have an absolute blast, one of my favorite places on the planet. Good luck!

Horses would be nice , however if you go in decent shape you should be fine. My suggestion is to carb load with 8 or so beers before you start hiking and get after it. Be careful I heard there is a red headed leprechaun up there named ginger. Rumor is he likes men that smoke.

everybody says you need horses.... i beg to differ. We had a local from up there help us out about 10-15 years back and some of the best hunting is blocked by the river so we had an extension ladder to cross it. within 2-3 miles from the road we were into some really good bulls and a lot of them.... i shot my bull about 5 minutes into the hunt, packed him out and then went back in that afternoon and my brother missed a 380" bull and ended up shooting a 330" bull just a few minutes later.... it was like a zoo. my dad went back in there a few years later with a bow and tagged out first couple days as well..... thats coming in from castle not to far into the valle.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom