Valles Caldera Elk

whitlow33

I am just getting caught up on some things after getting back from my Valles Caldera rifle hunt last weekend.

I will start this story from the time I found out I drew out. Months back when we found out whether we drew out for any hunts in New Mexico I found myself bummed because I saw nothing but red when I looked online. It was on a Friday and I moped around all weekend pissing and moaning about having to figure out what I was going to do this hunting season. Well Sunday evening I was on the MM forum and saw a conversation about VC elk tag results. I immediately signed in and checked. I knew the chances were slim but hey it was my last chance and I couldn't believe I forgot to look. I then couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my name on the list. I literally was jumping for joy. I think my wife thought I was a little crazy.

I began talking to friends that had hunted it as well as friends that had guided on the VC. I spent much of my summer dreaming about elk.

I had a buddy that knows elk better than anyone else I know and has guided the VC numerous times. He said yes before the conversation was over and seemed more excited than I was.

I was only a couple weeks away from the hunt when the government shut down happened and I was just sick to my stomach thinking they would cancel it. I don't think people understand how close it was to being closed. As mentioned from others things were different for the hunters but I think overall it was handled well and they may have learned some things for future hunts.

I knew the potential that VC had to offer so I told myself I was going to be patient and hold out for whatever I felt was a true trophy. The first day proved to be a big test. We had multiple encounters with multiple bulls. They were still bugling a lot and were pretty easy to locate. Boy was that fun. I had passed on bulls anywhere from rag horns to a bull that was around 320". On Sunday the bulls were still bugling and resulted much the same as Saturday. We passed many bulls but all were smaller bulls (under 300"). Sunday night was crazy, we had more than 15 bulls in a park in front of us and about 10 cows. The herd bull was still in the trees and never came out. It was one of the coolest experiences I have ever had.

As Monday rolled around things changed. The wind had really kicked up and it was cloudy. The bulls stopped bugling and I got a little worried that I may have screwed up by not taking the multiple opportunities given on the previous days. We did have two opportunities during the morning hunt but the bulls were pretty small. If I would have seen a decent 6x6 I would have probably shot him. After lunch we decided that maybe it was best if we tried to go back to the place I passed that 320" bull to see if he came out like he did two nights before. It wasn't long before sunset and we hadn't seen any elk. It looked like it would be the first time out that we hadn't encountered any elk and boy was I getting nervous. There was about 15 minutes left in the evening and our set up seemed to be a bust so we decided to back out and check the canyon next to us to see if there was any elk in the canyon next to us before we walked over a mile to the truck. As we walked my buddies eyes get big and says "big bull". He ranged it quickly and the bull was facing me at 256 yds. He said hurry and take the shot. I did and missed. I remember feeling sick to my stomach but then heard my buddies voice say "he stopped again, 300yds". I set up and shot. I knew I hit him but was unsure where. We sat for a couple minutes but we were quickly losing sunlight. We went to look for blood and there was really good blood. We tracked it for about 100 yards and decided to back out so we didn't bump him. We were both unsure where I hit him so we thought that was best. Boy was that the longest night of my life.

Tuesday morning we hiked back in to get on the blood trail and found him after 300 yard. We knew we were getting close because Ravens were circling and coyotes were barking. They tore his hind quarters pretty good and the ravens messed up the right side of his face.

I was absolutely amazed when I saw him because I thought he was a good bull but I had no idea how good. I know guys have shot bigger but this is a dream come true for me. I couldn't have been happier and have been on cloud 9 all week. This bull is everything I have dreamed about for all the years I have been hunting. His mass is amazing plus he turned out to be a 7x7.

We nicknamed him the Birthday Bull as it was my sons 1st birthday on Monday when I shot him. This bull and hunt will forever be a great memory to me. It was definitely the most challenging hunt I have been on, mentally and physically. We hiked just over 30 miles in 4 days including packing him out.

5351elk8.jpg

8182elk1.jpg

3415elk12.jpg

2630elk14.jpg

950elk16.jpg

Holy cow!! That is a hammer! you got a good one fo sure.

No shortage of coyotes out there. I called 3 in making a kissing noise one afternoon there.

What a stud of a bull, congrats! VC is truly a hunt of a lifetime.
I hunted it in 2010 with a bow, had the same exact thing happen to me. Half my elk was chewed up by the time I found it. They could sure use some predator control.

Congrats that bull is soooooooo awesome. A bull of a lifetime. You are the man..

Love the character of those horns.

))))------->

Congrats on a great hunt and great bull. I know a guy who killed a small 6x6 there in the Valles that has that same exact 3point crown on the back end...Anyhow , thanx for sharin it...

Way to go Justin! That's a cool rack, and very special that the bull snuck around behind you adn waited so you could get'im on the way out.

A friend of mine took a nice bull off the north side of 8 on Sunday evening and overnight he lost a hind quarter and the tenderloins to the coyotes. We kicked the beast off the elk in the morning, he was fat but not too slow.

Thanks everyone. I was very lucky he was there when we left.

I killed him on the north side of 8 as well. I'd like to see a pic of the 6x6 taken last Sunday. I saw many bulls in this area and wonder if I would recognize him. The coyote situation was the same with me. We had to kick them off as we walked up on him. There seemed to be a lot of coyotes in that area.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom