varmit hunting NM

T

TodaysTomSawyer

What are the laws and license requirements to hunt coyotes and bobcats in NM. Are there season dates for both and can you hunt at night using a spotlight?

No you cannot hunt with a spotlight

You need a furbearer license to hunt bobcats

non resident trapper license run you $345 plus habitat stamp and habitat management..
Nonresidents who hold a nonresident nongame
license or any current New Mexico nonresident hunting license
may use firearms or bows to hunt for or kill coyotes, rabbits, prairie
dogs or skunks, but may not set traps or snares unless they also
have a nonresident Trapper license

Furbearer season runs:
Badger, Weasel, Fox, Ringtail and Bobcat
Nov. 1, 2008 - March 15, 2009
Beaver, Muskrat and Nutria
April 1, 2008 - April 30, 2008 and Nov. 1, 2008 - March 31, 2009
Raccoon
April 1, 2008 - May 15, 2008 and Sept. 1, 2008 - March 31, 2009

Appreciate the info guys. Coming up for the Jan. archery hunt and for the $$ I'm forking out for a Q NR tag, bagging a few coyotes on the side will certainly make it worth the cost.

Where are you hunting at TodaysTomSawyer? Are you hunting with an outfitter and what Unit are you hunting?

LCHC

Todaystomsawer, How you doing? We hunted deer in Unit 30 this year and talked to the game warden there and he told us that if we had a deer license you could hunt yotes durning the season you have the licence for. Those dates only.. Hope that helps and good luck.

Texasdeerhunter, Good thanks. Yea I think that's a great plus to be able to take coyotes during the season without having to purchase another license. If I'm fortunate to take a decent buck, I'll sure enjoy the rest of my time calling coyotes while I'm out there. Joe San Antonio, TX

It's a little known fact in NM that you do not need a license to hunt coyotes or mountain lions. It is perfectly legal to hunt both in the dark with any aids necessary. Apparently sportsmen across the state are agreeing that mountain lions need to experience a mass extinction!

haha..hope your being sarcastic stinky cause yes you do need a license to hunt mountain lions and
It is illegal to Shine spotlights or other artificial lights into areas where big game
or livestock might be, if persons using the light have in possession
any firearm or implement capable of killing big game or livestock..and i guarantee they will bend you over on this everytime

Plus one Bullfighter- not sure if Stinky is teasing or on the verge of getting himself in a bind with the warden. Cougars are probably the most micromanaged and scrutinized species we have in NM. Obviously, those that lose pets or livestock to lions are givin a little flexibility, but not without the Game Departments direct involvement. If you're going to shine a spotlight at night here in NM, you better make darn sure you don't have any weapons in the truck. There is a clause in the law addressing ranchers tending to their cattle (protecting calves from coyotes during calving season), but most ranchers will keep the warden in the loop before they do it and I recomend that to anyone who'd be out with a spotlight at night.

Also, just to confirm, you CAN hunt coyotes (as a non-resident) if you have a valid small game or big game license (Pretty much everything else requires a NR-trapping license), but general hunting rules apply.

check the regs guys and talk with the G&F officers. You can use a spotlight for coyotes! i have had this confirmed with the department where i hunt yotes and with the admin people in Santa Fe

Cookie.... That is not what the game officers and admin people have told me the 4 times I have asked this question. I moved here from AZ 4 years ago and it is illegal there. Shortly after I moved here, I called G&F regarding this. They told me yes. I didnt beleive it so I drove up to Santa Fe (for business) and stopped by the game office. They gave me the same answer. I have talked with two other game wardens and they too tell me it is legal.

I too didnt beleive it, so I reccomend anyone who is in question to please contact the G&F office and ask them.

I can see this turning into one of those endless "I'm-more-informed-than-you" debates, and this is the last I'm going to add to it but I'm compelled to jump in one last time because I think it's important.

In general, you are NOT allowed to spotlight in NM (by the letter of the law and the policy of the vast majority of Game and Fish Wardens) if you're hunting for coyotes or otherwise. There is some leeway in the law for landowners and their employees to use spotlights for "legitimate activities"- and spotlighting coyotes is a legitimate activity if you have livestock. Spotlighting beavers is a legitimate activity if you have an asequia- rabbits if you have a garden... What Cookie says is "pretty much" right in this context- if you are on private land, and the landowner has enlisted your service to remove coyotes in the protection of his livestock (i.e. given you written permission) you're most likely covered- but I do think it's important for all to remember that context. A game warden (or the district attorney or a magistrate judge) is left to interprete if your activity is legitimate under this provision of the law, and I for one would rather know what he/they thought before rather than after.

My advice in my previous post was to contact directly your local game warden if you had the notion of going out and running a light- I'll stand by it. If you get caught running a light with a rifle in your posession where I live- just saying "I'm hunting coyotes" isn't going to keep you from getting hammered- I'd guess every dirtbag they catch probably tells them the same thing.

If you have received general "blanket" permission by your local warden or someone else in the agency to go out and hunt coyotes with a spotlight, I'm thinking either you misunderstood what they told you, or someone did a poor job of articulating to you what I'm saying here.

17-2-31 Hunting by spotlight or artificial light
It shall be unlawful for any person or one or more of a group of persons together to throw or cast the rays of a spotlight or other artificial light into any field, pasture, woodland, forest, or prairie wherein big game or domestic livestock may be, or be reasonable expected to be, while having in their possession or under control a firearm or other implement whereby any big game animal or domestic animal could be killed by aid of an artificial light: provided, however, that all officers authorized to enforce the game and livestock laws of the state of New Mexico and all landowners or lessees, while on their own lands in connection with their legitimate activities, and employees of such landowners and lessees shale be exempt from the provisions of this act.

P.S. a night vision scope is concidered "artificial light" as well. If you hunt coyotes with one, see above.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-08 AT 10:18AM (MST)[p]Did they give you written info? If so could you scan and paste it to this forum. Names and any other info would be helpfull.
My understanding is that you have to be an "agent" for a private landowner. That includes being able to show documentation that you are an "agent" for the landowner.

I'm in no way trying to get in that I'm more informed urinating match either but you couldn't pay me to spotlight in this state! With the new crop of wardens we have now and the laws that are on the books you could lose all weapons in the truck and oh yeah.... the TRUCK!!

wasnt trying to act "more informed" than anyone. Just wanted to share my experiences with this. Check with G&F. Interesting though how there are different opinions

i mean maybe that is what they told you. and maybe we're wrong.but i have alot of experience with game wardens..i went to college to be one..did alot of volunteer work with them and have good friends from college that are now officers..and i always understood it as they will nail it to you if they catch you...just my experience and understanding..

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom