Velvet Bucks Taste?

sageman

LAST EDITED ON May-08-11 AT 08:38PM (MST)[p]Is it just me or do velvet bucks taste better than hard horn bucks?What do you think?

I think hands down a velvet buck taste much better. Ive ate em after the rut and in the velvet as well as rifle season bucks and i like the velvet bucks the best.

I've shot a couple high country bucks in late August early September and they have been the best eating deer ....I think its because thier diet hasn't changed to brouse yet.

I have only taken 1 velvet buck and he was a stag had no family jewls he was probably the best eating buck I have ever had he was also the heavist buck I have taken had to cut him in half and could barely get him on the 4wheeler by myself. However I have never had a bad Colorado deer. I would take vension over about anything :)

COYOTE<

those deer that you have to cut in half to load on 4 wheelers are called elk. lol jk

I like to hunt in places where deer dont have the option of sage brush. a lot of places along the wasatch front that i hunt have this option. i have shot my self a few deer in my day and have yet to get one that was nasty tasting. this buck I shot this year was shot on nov 30 and is one of the best tasting. its always so long between deer that i dont really notice a difference though. they are all good eating.

It was a big bodied 2 point.

I dissagree..

I have found no difference in a first day archery buck or a last day rutty November buck. They all taste the same imho. I have also found no difference in an old 5 year old buck and a 2 year old buck they taste the same. I think it all comes down to how it was taken care of in the field.

+1 swbuckmaster

My experience leades me to the same conclusion.

I have had deer that tasted pretty gamey, even sagey, but if I am honest with myself it was because of my ignorance at the time of how important proper field care is and how much it affects the taste of the animal.

Cool it down quickly, treat the meat like it's something you are going to eat (out of the dirt, etc.) and it won't much matter if it was a 2 year old or a 7 year old.

Just my expereince!

I shot a buck in Idaho in late nov. and it was a mature deer prob 4-5 yrs old, neck all swollen and it was the best deer I have tasted. I think a lot of it has to do with the animals diet. this one in particular was an alfalfa buck.

I'm convinced its a dietary thing. I've had great venison shot both early and late, and some venison that was nasty as nasty shot early. The best venison I ever tasted came from a midwest whitetail that dined daily on corn and beans.

Last time I checked deer are deer are deer every day of the year...I'm thinking they always taste like deer!!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/Feleno/zFix.jpg[/IMG] ~Z~

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom