Very Lucky

M

Mtnmangrizzzly

Some people shouldn't be hunting and i will tell you why.
It was Sunday morning and we got to our spot before light and waited till day break so we could see. The sun comes up and we had been watching a hill for about 45 min when a older guy from Arizona pulls up and gets out gets his orange on and grabs his gun and as he is walking he puts one in the chamber and heads for the hills. We can not believe he would do that and also kinda upset he would just barge in a walk right to the hill we were watching but what do you do. Even though we were upset about it we thought well maybe he will kick something out so we sit and watch as he walks the whole mountain(keep in mind he has a bullet in the chamber) he walks the whole mountain and kicks up a few doe then he starts to work his way down the mountain and back towards his car where he meets up with the guy he had left behind. They sit and talk for a minute or two(Now here comes the lucky Part) I watch as he starts to fiddle with his gun trying to figure out how to unload it and in the process he pulls the trigger and a shot rings out!! Thank god that the gun was pointing away from us or there is no doubt that one of the 7 of us would have been shot!! as we turn and look at him all he says is sorry fellas and laughs about it gets in his car and leaves!.People who do not know about guns have no right to be carrying one im sure he has not ever taken a day of hunter safety in his life or operated a gun for that fact. And because he didn't know how to work the gun he put many peoples life's at risk. I'm just very thankful that the gun was pointing the other way or i know it would have been bad because he was just a matter of feet from us when the shot went off.I do wish that he would have been standing back about 6 feet though because the shot would have put a beautiful hole in his nice escalade he was driving and maybe if he would have put a hole in it he would think twice about learning how to use a GUN. please if you do not know how to use a friken gun do not pick it up do not go hunting and do go get some hunter safety before you KILL someone

A friend of mine shot a hole in my duramax. Does that fall under lucky or stupid ??

JB

This Utardiot I use to work with, was hunting with his two brothers, and knowing them they were probablly road hunting. He was sitting in the middle with his barrel resting on the floor of the truck and shoots a bullet into the transmission.

Glad to here all was safe. Why did you think it was strange to put a round in the chamber after he got out of the truck? If he wasn't hunting next to another person then why wouldn't he have one RTG? Sometimes the extra motion and noise that it takes to cycle a round in the chamber can be difference between getting a shot or not.

I'm with Southpaw I always hunt with a round in the chamber. I always ride on my rig with the rifle completely unloaded and the clip in my pocket. Treat every gun as if it were loaded all the time. I'm a freak about where your muzzle is pointed.
Driftersifter

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-07 AT 09:05AM (MST)[p]duramax is a condom brand or is it Durex?
friend 10 yrs ago shot a hole in a friends through mini van!
I've been shot at and had three holes (.380 automatic) in my 68'GMC tail gate from this girl Debbie's husband but that was no accident, that was luck!
rm

>> A friend of mine shot a hole in my duramax. Does that fall under lucky or stupid ??

I'd say that was a mercy killing... }>

I agree with not having knowledge of guns and using them. That's carelessness.

Why would it be rude to barge in on a mountain? Did he know you were there? If he did, then of course I see why.

Were you sitting in your truck watching the hillside? If so then wtf are you whining about? At least he got out on the hill. He probably assumed that you were not hunting, witch you weren't. Yes he was an idiot though. If you weren't in your truck than I'm sorry. But it pisses me off to hear guys "Claim" a spot because they are sitting in their truck watching it.

Andy

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.trophyblogger.com/Andymansavage

I always walk with round in chamber safety on. When i get back to my truck, it's muzzle to the ground a couple of feet in front of me, safety on and unload. No loaded weapons in the truck.

My nephew and a combat buddy of his were riding around in his truck and his friend put a 300 winmag through the engine. I let him have it for that one. How can a former Marine who fought twice in Iraq not remember that one safety rule? Guess it was b/c we always ride around loaded in combat. But the deer don't shoot at you

Ummmm, from what I read, he did nothing wrong except for when he inadvertantly shot his rife and are you actually sure that he fired his rifle by mistake, and another thing... if you were hunting, why were you watching him the whole time and not the hillside that was supposedly "yours"?

Pretty lame post blaming someone from out of state for actually hunting while you were only watching. I don't know the whole story, but from the original post that's what I gathered.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-07 AT 04:57PM (MST)[p]Why all the hate all the time? I thought that Mtnmangrizzzly
had a good story. I enjoy reading everyones posts and learn a lot from them. The majority of posts that I read turn into a negtive subject. Why can't we all be on the same page and think postive about things. I come to MM to learn new things and read intersting topics, not to listen to people complain about numerous things. I'm not trying to start a fire with everyone, all I'm trying to get at is lets just be a little bit more positive about things, that would be great. Thanks everyone and have a great relaxing enjoyable afternoon.

The dude does sound like an idiot. My cousin did that once, her first year hunting, and nearly shot my dad in the head. It was damn scary. You're right...if you don't know how to use a gun, don't go hunting...but it does sound like he was trying to get the bullet out of the chamber before he got back in his vehicle. A little more practice with the gun, perhaps?

Jenn
01306.jpg

>Were you sitting in your truck
>watching the hillside? If so
>then wtf are you whining
>about? At least he got
>out on the hill. He
>probably assumed that you were
>not hunting, witch you weren't.
>Yes he was an idiot
>though. If you weren't in
>your truck than I'm sorry.
>But it pisses me off
>to hear guys "Claim" a
>spot because they are sitting
>in their truck watching it.
>
>
>Andy
>Not whining about the fact that he was there to hunt also but we were out with spotting scopes and everything he had no idea if we were watching something if he would have ask "am i going to scare anything if i walk up here" That would have been fine but he didn't. And i was always taught that you never have one in the chamber ready to shoot. We put the shells in our guns but it is never ready to fire unless we put one in. If he wouldn't have been walking around with a loaded gun thats ready to shoot by pulling the trigger he would have never had the mishap of pulling the trigger like he did!
>-----------------------------------------------
>http://www.trophyblogger.com/Andymansavage

>Ummmm, from what I read, he
>did nothing wrong except for
>when he inadvertantly shot his
>rife and are you actually
>sure that he fired his
>rifle by mistake, and another
>thing... if you were hunting,
>why were you watching him
>the whole time and not
>the hillside that was supposedly
>"yours"?
>
>Pretty lame post blaming someone from
>out of state for actually
>hunting while you were only
>watching. I don't know
>the whole story, but from
>the original post that's what
>I gathered.
Never said the hillside was ours we are not like that the hills are not just one person! they are for all. but i guess im different i would have asked if the people were watching something so i didnt go up there and scare it off. we watched as he walked the hill but when he got back to his truck that was parked 6 feet from ours and at the time i was watching a hill that was over his rig. I could see both of them fiddling with the gun trying to figure it out and the gun was pointed straight out when the trigger was pulled he should have have had it pointed to the ground. It has nothing to do with him being out of town im not against people hunting that are not from here im sorry if my post came out to sound like it is "our mountain and he shouldn't be here" the point was you could tell he had no experience with a gun and because of that he fired a shot that was not meant and it could have been bad if he would have been facing us.

I have always hunting with one in the chamber also. But like you said that stuff is scary. which is the main reason that I really dont want to be hunting with people that I dont know like I know myself. When my uncle was younger he and his buddy were jump shooting ducks out of a creek, his buddy doubled up, threw two shells into the chamber, pointed his gun to the bank, snapped it close and BANG! Alot of guys would have had that gun pointed in the small of his back.

You know, I take issue with accidental discharges like the one described in the original post. I'm now 44 years old. 32+ years hunting and 16 years in federal law enforcement, and I'm still waiting for my first accidental discharge! I'm not bragging, but I feel that I was taught properly when I was a kid by my dad. That is a contributing factor. Proper training is the key. Come to think of it, I don't remember the old man ever having an AD either.

99.9 % of the time, if you don't pull the trigger, it ain't going to go off. If you have it pointed in a safe direction and it does go off, you can still be safe. Firearm malfunctions are very rare, but accidental discharges are commonly blamed on malfunctions to "brush out".

Just my 2 cents.

there are rarely "accidental" discharges, they are almost always "negligent" discharges. BIG, BIG difference.

JB

>>Ummmm, from what I read, he
>>did nothing wrong except for
>>when he inadvertantly shot his
>>rife and are you actually
>>sure that he fired his
>>rifle by mistake, and another
>>thing... if you were hunting,
>>why were you watching him
>>the whole time and not
>>the hillside that was supposedly
>>"yours"?
>>
>>Pretty lame post blaming someone from
>>out of state for actually
>>hunting while you were only
>>watching. I don't know
>>the whole story, but from
>>the original post that's what
>>I gathered.
>Never said the hillside was ours
>we are not like that
>the hills are not just
>one person! they are for
>all. but i guess im
>different i would have asked
>if the people were watching
>something so i didnt go
>up there and scare it
>off. we watched as he
>walked the hill but when
>he got back to his
>truck that was parked 6
>feet from ours and at
>the time i was watching
>a hill that was over
>his rig. I could see
>both of them fiddling with
>the gun trying to figure
>it out and the gun
>was pointed straight out when
>the trigger was pulled he
>should have have had it
>pointed to the ground. It
>has nothing to do with
>him being out of town
>im not against people hunting
>that are not from here
>im sorry if my post
>came out to sound like
>it is "our mountain and
>he shouldn't be here" the
>point was you could tell
>he had no experience with
>a gun and because of
>that he fired a shot
>that was not meant and
>it could have been bad
>if he would have been
>facing us.

No problem, griz. Had I known that the yahoo parked 6 feet away from you, I'd have probably thought the same thing. As far as hunting with a round chambered I guess it's to each their own. I hunt with a round chambered with the safety on.

>there are rarely "accidental" discharges, they
>are almost always "negligent" discharges.
> BIG, BIG difference.
>
>JB

Ditto! Same as a highway accident. Almost always a drivers fault not some act of God.

Ransom

Interesting thread....

Does anybody else do this?....I load my rifle, put one up the spout and hold the trigger down as I close the bolt. When I see something I want to shoot, I simply raise the bolt handle and the rifle cocks. It's safe, quiet and simple.

I been doing that for 40 years.

Yah I agree the guy is an idiot.

As far as accidental discharges most are the result of touching the trigger when you don't mean to. However, one time I sat down with my buddy on the side of a hill and took a shot, when I closed the bolt on the next round the gun (7mm Rem)went off darn near ripping my hand off. However I had the muzzel pointed in a safe direction and there was no problem.

I also had a 22 that would go off when closeing the bolt. As you probably guessed I got both guns fixed and got rid of them.

Hey I was hunting this weekend and found these morons sitting in their vehicle watching my hillside I always hunt. I got outta the vehicle chambered a round like I always do and proceeded up the hill. Killed my buck like always and I think the morons thought I accidentally pulled the trigger stumbling around !!! Oh well, got my buck down the mtn after they finally left my parking spot, shoulda ran over the goofs !!!! lol

If the bolt is not in cocked position, the firing pin spring is not "loaded", so the pin is in a no pressure situation.

I have an old Springfield I will put in a shooting vise and hit the bolt with a hammer......I doubt it will fire but I will post the results.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom