Victorio

bpnclark

This last deer season I took a muley in the Gila. Being from CA I really don't want to name the zone (my dad and I were the only Californians to ever deer hunt the area according to the locals and the Game Warden). I took my deer on the third day and spent the rest of the time back at camp and I met the local rancher. I showed him my deer and pointed to the top of the mountain were I got him. He told me about the Buffalo Soldiers that were killed on the mountain and started telling me the stories of the Apache Chief Victorio. I started searching the web for info on him and found 2 books, but does anyone know of a good book on the Apaches that lived in the Gila area?

Thanks ?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-10 AT 06:40PM (MST)[p]Try typing in the slaughter at massacre canyon I think that is what it is... Freaking awesome read about Victorio...

BP,Victorio,Geronimo,Cochise,and Mangas are all from area here.I found some stuff in the Smithsonian when I was there,but have yet to find a good book either.Let me know what you find and I'll do the same.Might just have to look online,but I like books better.

Ryan, great to see you here!

There is some great history in NM. Used to read Louis Lamour books and other westerns and there is a ton of NM history in them.

I am sure you can google up general info.

Hey Hank and Paul, I didn't know you guys were on here!

I tried Googling his info when I got back and I can't find a lot. The rancher was telling me a story were two different infantries had him pinned down inside a canyon or waterfall. He said they started running out of ammo and sent a solider to Winston for more ammo and instead of ridding to Winston he rode to Socorro to tell/sell the story to the newspapers that they captured Victorio (by the time he got back everyone was gone). I tired searching for stories like that and couldn't find any. Hunting in places like that are just plain cool.

Oh ya ? here?s the deer?

2-2.jpg

1-2.jpg

10.jpg

3.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Thanks guys!

The Massacre Canyon info seems to be the only stuff I can find. According to the rancher, there were a lot of battles/killings/raids with Victorio around the area. The mountain I shot my buck at had a small graveyard near it. The rancher said that's were they buried the Buffalo Soldiers that died on it. This place is well into the Gila and looks like a version of Victoiro Peak (from the pictures I saw of it).

I hope to go back this year and check out some more stuff before the season opens. You NM guys have a lot of history there (and some nice bucks/bulls too!!)

Thanks again - Ryan Clark

Ryan, I have a book on Geronimo packed away that has alot of info on the times and his tribal members (Victorio,Cochise..)forgot all about it.I'll try and find it. Nice buck!!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom