Virginian Hotel, Medicine Bow

WillHunt

Looking into places to stay for 2014 Antelope hunt, area 48. Some of the reviews talk about loud trains running all night long at the Virginian. Any of you have an opinion? Maybe they have some rooms that are less exposed to the trains? Or do any of you have other ideas for where to stay? The huntable part of 48 isn't really close to very much.

I have stayed there before, and yes, if you sleep lightly, the train will definately be a problem. The place isn't that bad if you are really tired though. We usually stop there and stay one night before we get into camp for a week. It is a cheap hotel - the beds are old, etc... but everything works there. The restaurant is nice so that you don't have to cook your own meals if you don't want to. good luck!

The train is sooooo loud! Scared the crap out of me one night when I was drunk. That thing goes by there constantly too.

Fun place to stay and food isn't too bad. Beds aren't comfortable by any means. Whiskey is good there and usually some hunters around to shoot the breeze with. The meat processor there is top notch IMO if you need to process anything.

I'm booked there for a few days again this year for the annual antelope hunt. Always a fun time in the 'Bow.

We stayed there last year. I usually don't stay in hotels, my son and I just camp wherever we end up at the day. Last year I had my wife and daughters with me and thought I would be nice get a room so they could have a shower. The room was $72. I wouldn't pay $7 to stay there now. The older lady that checked us in was drunker than a monkey and cranky. The room was filthy!!! We didn't even sleep in the bed, Just laid the sleeping bags on top. My wife said it was the only time she has gotten out of a shower feeling dirtier than when she got in. The train is bad also. The tracks are just across the road from the hotel. probably < 100yds. It blows the horn for the crossing all the way through medicine bow, for about 20seconds. Seems kind of excessive to me. If you are dead set on staying in a motel do yourself a favor and stay in Rawlins. It is not that far from the west side of 48. If you are open to camping, let me know. I can point you in the right direction.

There are two really good places in Elk Mountain. One is the Elk Mountain Hotel. Super clean and really elegant. And a meal you won't forget.

There are also the Elk Mountain cabins. Again, very well kept and nice. Very reasonable rates and a super nice lady that runs them. It's closer than anywhere else and a nice place to stay.

Both are off the beaten path, right on the river and very quiet.

You can Google either.

Thanks for the replies. I've looked into Elk Mountain as well and think it might be a good idea. Was just thinking it might be cool to read The Virginian (book) and then stay there, but I value my sleep. Also, I picked a spot in the middle of the northern side of 48, near the Miracle Mile to Mapquest driving distances, and Medicine Bow is a closer drive than Casper, Elk Mountain, Rawlins, etc. We'll see. Also just realized that most of the southern half of 48 is in a HMA (Hanna Draw?), so wondering if I might find some hunting without driving so far north - any opinions on this HMA would be valued.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-13 AT 02:55PM (MST)[p]I was wondering what you were thinking when you said huntable areas.

I hunted the HMA, parking where a side road came off the hwy. Walked from my camper and whacked all my Antelope from there. Probably a cpl mile hike each way. It's not as broken up as the northern area so they haul ass from a long way off. If I hunted 48 again I would probably hunt the same area.

When I said "huntable areas" I was referring to the northern half where most of the BLM land is. This was before I noticed that most of the southern half is in Hanna Draw HMA, which for a type 2 hunt, I assume I could get permission for. WapitiBob, it sounds like you've had some luck hunting the HMA - if so, it's good to know that its not necessary to drive up to around the Miracle Mile area to find huntable land. I've never hunted 48 so I'm really talking about something that I have limited knowledge of, but doing my homework now so I can be productive when I get there. Do you hunt mostly the southern half?

I hunted Simpson and parked right off hwy 72. The northern area will be broken up more and will probably have some bigger bucks if you have buck tags. I also hunt after the 8th so permission slips are unlimited. I never saw another hunter.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom