Voles

cosmic_cowboy

Very Active Member
Last year I ask about Pack Rats and got great info caught 32... LOL
Now I have a invasion of Voles they are eating the roots off my wifes flowers... anyone have a method of geting rid of them ?
Don't like to use poison but I have to do something... or no hunting for me this fall... Thanks
Jack

I have a way and....it is very fun. After you rid your area of Voles, you may seek other flowerbeds :)

You'll need Calcium Carbide like for a Miners Lantern. Some Green Hobby Cannon Fuse a long screwdriver and water. Use the screwdriver to locate tunnels. Once found, mark the spot and locate the same tunnel about 1-2 feet away. In the first marked hole (spot) open it up enough to drop down some Calcium Carbide Rocks. Not many....you'll get the hang of it. Then pour some water into the same hole, about a cup should do. Plug that hole fast with dirt and stomp it closed tightly. Push in 6" to 10" of fuse into spot #2 then patiently waiting about 30 seconds to one minute.

Now, light fuse and stand back a few feet. You will FEEL the results under your feet. If done perfectly, a Vole will FLY straight up out of another hole about 5'-7' into the air. Works for Gophers also. it's addictive. :) :) :)

I have had some major problems with Voles myself.

I've read several times that Juicy fruit gum broke up into small pieces and placed into and around holes works pretty good, but I didn't get real good results with it.

Only thing I've found to work real well is called prozap,
it'll killem alright! but the warning label says may be fatal to humans and animals if swallowed.

Another method is using a weed burner fill the holes full of propane and stomp the holes closed,it works but its time consuming and not quite as effective as the Prozap.

Good luck! yer gonna need it if you plan on wiping em out.

Crush Prozap pellets in a blender you won't use for anything else then mix powder with rolled oats. You will have excellent results.

I really like the calcium chloride idea
That stuff is a lot of fun
Especially on holidays lime the 4th of July

Calcium CARBIDE.

I can't tell you ALL that at first it is a bit of practice for some guys, others pick up the method on the first try.

After the Calcium Carbide is in the Burrow tunnel then wet, the gas travels. The fuse ignites the gas underground. It's always been safe for me.

When the Vole or Gopher is running to another end and that end is shallow, the explosion in the tunnel launches him/her up into the air.

Jagerdad :) :) :)

Jagerdad, have a person with a shotgun handy and when the vole/gopher is airborn, blast away. "PULL!!!" :D

It's cheaper and easier to pour a 4" concrete slab over your entire property and use pots and planters for flowers, etc. You'll be happy and live longer too.

Eelgrass...Ref Flying Gophers...and shotgunning'em.

My kids used to stand with plastic wiffle bats and try. They soon adopted "Gopher Golfing".

When young City girls came over for a sleep-over, sooner or later my girls introduced the guest's to Gopher Golfing. The City Girls at first, stood back but, once they saw how it's done, they became African Lionesses after the game. From then on I never under estimated women out to get a job done. They are tenacious.

Jagerdad :)

Well thanks for the advice jagger... I'll give it a try. And hope there is some flowers left LOL. Have learned how to trap the gophers and can get them. Have hooked a washing machine drain hose to the exhaust of my 4 wheeler and pumped it down the hole but dosen't seem to work anymore they got smart and run out another hole and they are fast little falkers.
CC

You can also take a Road Flare and cut it into 2-3" pieces then place each piece into a tunnel section in different areas and light it/them with a Propane torch and cover each surface entrance you used to drop the chunk of Road Flare into.

The first method has close to zero toxins after the BLAST :)

Road Flares pieces stay buried and leave a smell they hate....IF they survive the smoke.

I don't know but it seems that the Road Flare tunnel smell stops Males from finding Females. On days I took this serious and located as many tunnel's as exist's (lots of Probing with long screwdriver) the rodents buzz off and dislike the area, sometimes for more than one season.

Jagerdad :)

I saved 6 of the fireworks from the 4th, the kind that just emit sparks, (NO aerials) just the spark shower type. dig out where the voles tunnels are in a handful of places, the tunnels all interconnect. Light one of the fireworks, wait til it fires up, place it upside down in the hole/tunnel, let it fire off completely into the hole/tunnel, then bury all spots that the poison smoke comes out of,, AND, problem solved, the smoke is super deadly to tjhem..

Rink

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom