Vortex Extreme

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Any of you guys going to do this Vortex Extreme? Looks like my kind of game, except the long range shooting part. Looks fun. I have never done it before, or anything like it. I haven't even shot on a long range course.

It's $500.00 per team of two, which includes dinner, hotel room, breakfast, water, snacks, and T-shirt.

Prizes are:[ul][li]First Place: $1,500 and the Vortex Extreme Trophy
[li]Second Place: $700
[li]Third Place: $500
[/ul]

My buddy and I were planning to do it, but I want to find out what we're talking about when it comes to shooting distances. It's hard for me to get excited if there are targets out past 600 yards.

Anyway, this event is put on in part by Vortex, who is one of our sponsors. Always look through Vortex Optics when shopping.

Here's a link to details:
http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/vortex_extreme

Maybe one of the organizers can give us more detail on how many "long" shots are involved in the competition and how the scoring will work. The race and shooting accuracy excites me, but I worry about the long range stuff. I'm no long range dude.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Here's a little more info.

If long-range precision shooting in real-world hunting scenarios worked into a physically challenging format is something that peaks your interest, the Vortex Extreme is your event.

The Vortex Extreme requires each team of two to navigate the 7-mile course on foot carrying everything needed to successfully engage targets out to 1,000 yards. Final scores are a compilation of how well each team shoots and how long it takes them to complete the course.

50 teams of two. Up to 26 shots each. Nearly all shots will be from natural shooting positions adding to the realism of each scenario. Scores will be based on course time and how well each team shoots. Strong legs and lungs recommended.?

If you can hack it to pack it, you can bring it. Participants must carry everything needed to effectively shoot and complete the course. Each person must carry their own rifle. Other kit can be shared.

Recommended Gear:
Rifle, ammunition, optics, rangefinder, shooting sticks, backpack, extra water, energy snacks, sun screen, good footwear, hat, eye protection, hearing protection and anything else needed.

Date: ?July 21st
Style: ?Team Competition / Accuracy and Time

For detailed information, a video from last year?s event, and to register, click the following link:http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/vortex_extreme

We look forward to seeing you there.

Vortex Optics and Spirit Ridge Rifle Golf

Cowslayer and Mrs. Cowslayer are registered and are getting ready for the event.

Look forward to competing again and hopefully doing better this year.

"Helping turn good tags, into great ones." - www.vipoptics.com

5 bills per team and 50 teams. Paying out only $2,700 of the $25,000 generated and costing them $5,000 in hotels, food and t-shirts. Might be fun, but there are many better things to do with $500. Good luck to cowslayer and wife.

Just a reminder of this event. There are still some spots available for anyone wanting to give it a go.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

500 bucks per team is too expensive especially considering the prizes. I'm sure some of the "pro-staffers" will have their entries payed by sponsers but working class dudes are unlikely to shell out 5 big ones to fill spots.

Giving back a little more than 10% for the three places would seem to be a little ridiculous IMO when your fee to enter would be barely covered if you finished third out of 50!

Sounds like a great time. I'd love to do it. But there is no way I can justify even $250. How about; a lesser entry fee, I pay for my own food, lodging (back of truck) and water. Forget the cash payouts, put some optics up for prizes. Tell the local ems you are having a biathlon style race and be ready for some potential injuries. I know there are other costs associated, but $500 is a lot of groceries!

Some day maybe.

Founder I think this thing sounds like a blast. I'd really like to do it. I've been to Spirit Ridge and highly recommend it.

I'm kind of with the other guys on the price. Somewhere in my mind I have this "anchor" that says the entry fee per person shouldn't be more than $100. That is based on the going price of a sprint or olympic distance triathlon or marathon. It does cost a lot to put these events on and it isn't really the type of thing you can do with a ton of shooters so maybe they need that to make some money. I guess with only 50 teams they can't hit major economies of scale like the bigger races so they have to charge $500--either that or they are just trying to attact a certain demographic that really believes their team can win or that doesn't care about the cash. I even emailed and asked about getting a reduced fee if I didn't stay in the hotel and have dinner and they answer was no.

Let us know how it goes. It really looks fun.

I am with everyone else, thought it sounded interesting until I seen it was $500. I have been wanting to do a course like this for a while, but at that price I quickly forgot about it.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-18-12 AT 08:31PM (MST)[p]Just to give you guys a little information. I didn't do it last year because I really couldn't afford going to Nationals and shooting the Extreme. I also thought that $500 was a lot but considering that it pays for a banquet dinner for 2, your room at the Hampton Inns and Suites for 2, breakfast for 2, support staff wages for all of the stations, EMS support, many many drawing prizes that all are eligable for, etc. It comes out to be about $100 if they eliminated all of that and just had the shoot, no frills. As it is, they do a great job with this. All who shot it last year had a great time and I am really looking forward to shooting it this year. As for the "pro staffers" having their fees paid for, not true. I do a little pro staffing for them and footed the bill for my own team. There may be some corporate teams that pay for their employees to do it but I guess that's the perks of working for them eh. Good luck to all who have signed up. Team Extreme is coming to compete!:)

It's always an adventure!!!

Jim,

You are making me nervous.... I saw you just finished competing in the RAGNAR.... and I know you can shoot.

I guess I'm hoping it's really windy when you step up to the shooting line ;-)

Good Luck, it'll be fun to see you guys up there.

I better get to working out!

"Helping turn good tags, into great ones." - www.vipoptics.com

LOL! No worries my friend. I'm looking forward to it. From past experience, women always shoot better. I'm sure Becky is going to school us all.

It's always an adventure!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom