Vortex Razor spotter

Ryan55555

I have the money saved up for a new spotting scope ($1500) and I am looking close at the Razor. My only concern is the size and weight of it, I will use it from my backpack about 1/2 the time.

What kind of tripod do you guys use when backpacking?

Do any of you guys use it for a backpacking spotter?

Is it too big?

Thanks for any input.

Pack my Razor all the time, all day long and without any problems. I've been in too many situations where I needed a bigger scope and didn't have it with me. I don't pack a lot of other items that can do without so I guess it depends on what you consider to be needed items.

It's always an adventure!!!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-11 AT 02:10PM (MST)[p]I have a small 65mm scope for packing . I do pack it sometimes. But my Razor gathers light so much better I usual take it . My Razor is the straight one so I believe it fits in my pack better then the angled one. The animals are always coming out at last light or early morning. The razor is just a better scope and not to bad to pack anyways.
So +2 on Awholelotabull
Oh I am using the carbon fiber Vortex tripod. Works well for me. I tried using it on my smaller tripod and it is not stable in windy conditions. So I now pack the bigger tripod.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am really leaning toward the Razor.

What backpack are you guys using to carry your spotter and tripod?

I have a BL2200 and it seems to be ok, is there something better out there?

All of my hunts will be up early and out all day, not staying overnight.

Thanks

Ryan

I have a Eberlestock X2. Razor fit perfect in the one side pocket and tripod in the inner pouch. Oh and I have the angled one.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-11 AT 09:39PM (MST)[p]I do BACK PACK hunts all the time, and pack my Razor. It does add a little weight when compared to maybe the Swaro 65, but I do not really notice it.
It fits well in many packs. I generally just stuff it in the main compartment, as I use larger packs when going in multiple days.
On day hunts I use: MR 3000, Eberlestock x2, Badlands 2200, Just One...etc. I find a way to make the scope fit in any of those packs.
It is a good scope, and I would no shy away based on wanting to pack. Optic are just too valuable to compromise on when packing.
Get a GOOD tripod, spotting scope are NO good on a wobbly cheap tripod. When I pack in I usually go with a tripod that does not extend very high, lower weight. On day hunts I use a GIANT tripod.
Good luck

LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-11 AT 10:27PM (MST)[p]what tripod head you guys using with the Razor?

- Backcountry?
- Day packing?

So it looks like both you guys are using top notch heads - I guess the question is ball or pan?

If you are going to use the tripod head for video at all, get the pan head. It's really hard to video with the pistol grip heads. IMO

It's always an adventure!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom