VV - What a Difference 30 Days Make

Empty Nester

5th trip to the VV since May.

the elk light switch was turned off compared to our previous visits. Had been seeing a LOT of elk but on this trip we saw 10 elk in 3 1/2 days. Put in about 20-25 miles on the Lowa’s . Shoutout to my wife....she was with me for every step. Still an incredible experience and we will continue to work our butts off to try and be successful come October.
Still raining every afternoon and the grass is incredible.

theories on seeing the reduced number of elk:
1. They just have an internal clock that tells them it’s time to disappear

2. cattle have moved into the areas we are walking and the elk move somewhere else

E

3rd theory . More access to feed and water given the rain , this usually causes them to expand their range a bit. Dont worry they are there just have more places they might like to visit with the resources now available

Just a matter of time before they start talking and let us know where they are! Hopefully they'll be vocal in October. What hunt do you have? I'll be there with an uncle for 2nd archery and again with a son in law for the Muzzleloader hunt, my personal favorite. We've been lucky, my wife had the muzzle hunt, I've ahd the archery hunt, when it was the entire month and two of three daughters have done the bull 1st rifle, one of them drew it twice when it was available as youth and adult, and the father in law for archery! I love that place and always try to tag along when I can! Good Luck.

My son has 2nd rifle. I had 2nd rifle last year and killed on opening night. Packed out all day on Sunday and woke up to 3-4 feet of snow on Monday. It was a crazy great time. That much snow threw all the hunters off their game. Only a few brave souls stuck it out. It’s amazing how much difference the two years have been from a scouting perspective. Good luck to you and your uncle

EN

Ya, I was in the area (Questa) last year when that snow fall hit and it was massive!! My buddys hunter killed a monster the morning after the snow fell

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom