W.S. Huey Turkey hunt

I had considered putting my son in for that hunt this year until I called and spoke with the manager of the Huey as well as a G&F officer out of the Roswell office. Both of them gave the exact same story........there are not many birds on the Huey at all. The Roswell officer told me he cannot remember the last time that he saw birds on it, that they had moved off of the property a long time ago, and the manager of the Huey said that he "occasionally" sees birds moving through the area. With that kind of information I figured it was not worth the 5+ hour drive it would take us to get over there if he did draw. If you are close by it might be worth a shot, you never know until you try I suppose. If it is any significant distance for you though I would consider finding another place to go, especially with the price of fuel.
What I still cannot comprehend is why the G&F are still offering these tags if there is not a sustainable resident population of birds on the property? The youth opportunities are there in my opinion to give kids a chance at a great hunt with a higher chance for success than the average hunter and it sure seems like this particular opportunity is a set up for frustration and disappointment.

Why in the world, as huntswnm said, would the department offer that as a youth hunt. If there are no birds there, why even offer a hunt at all, let alone youth hunt. Sad to see the direction of this state for youth opportunities. As a parent, it is hard to get a child excited about hunting when, a) they never draw, and b) when they do draw, it is an opportunity like this. Youth should be first and foremost when the draws happen, as they are the future of our sport. My son has never drawn a hunt, after three years of putting in for everything. My daughter drew one elk hunt when she was nine. That was eight years ago. I don't do much better, having drawn really nothing over the last decade. One elk hunt, and two deer hunts. With one being a hard to hunt area with low density. Tough to do as an adult, to keep your composure going days without seeing an animal. I would much rather have my kids draw than me. But, the youth hunts aren't very good here. And youth just don't seem to keep that fire after that type of hunt seeing very few animals. We should really be pushing for youth in the outdoors in this state, and at the times we are in now.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom