WA Multi-Season???

W

WACATHUNTER

Just was curious if anyone drew last year and actually bought the tag. What did you think of the season, any success ETC. Just trying to livin it up and can't find any sheds!!!

I have a point for multi deer and elk so hopefully this year.
WACAT

I just put in for multi season elk this year. I hunt the west side archery for elk, so a muzzleloader hunt during the rut would be great if I don't fill my archery tag. I have a good chance of drawing an archery deer tag so I won't hunt rifle/m-loader. I heard that over 500 tags went unclaimed last year after people drew the initial raffle but didn't pay the second fee. I think they need to rethink that system. JMO.

$165 for the permit is a lot of money. They should try about $80 and I bet they would sell all of them.

I think they should make it a 100 bucks up front and no refund if you don't draw.
That would weed out all of the people that are not serious.

John

I agree with the change of system. I think if you draw you pay, that would sure make people think. I have 7 deer and 6 elk so should be drawing something. Although i do put in for the toughest units every year, and now that i live in Wenatchee I should be able to do serious familiarization in the untis I apply for. Good luck to all.
WACAT

I would think that if $165 was too much for someone to pay, they shouldn't be entering in the first place. for the people who are serious about it, and would have the time to do it, $165.00 is worth it. drawing that tag means you're going to be able to spend a whole bunch of time hunting, and my guess is that the people that are drawing and not buying it is because they aren't able to spend the amount of time hunting to justify the $165.00, or they don't have a rifle, muzz and bow... it would be hard for me to justify it because i don't have the time to hunt that much, thats why i haven't put in for it yet, but i think it's a great idea. pay up front...if you draw you pay, if you don't draw, get the refund. my .02

I drew the tag last year and bought it.
I put in for rifle rut hunts in the draws and bow hunted from Sept.1 to 31 then bow hunted the modern season then bow hunted the late archery season and then muzzy hunted the late muzzy season in mid Dec. It was expensive but worth it for me.

I am one who drew the tag last year and did not buy it. There is usually three of us that hunt together and we did not all draw it, so I declined. Does anyone know why you can not put in as a partnership as you can with the regular permit draws? I know everyone is different, but I prefer to hunt with friends and not alone. We have applied again this year, so hopefully we'll all draw.

Steve

LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-07 AT 09:49AM (MST)[p]That is what I hate the most about our draw system, people putting in without having their sh!t together and then declining or not using the tag at all! It screws us folks who know what we are doing and actually, really want and will use the tag!!! It is the same with these idiots who put in for "once in a lifetime" hunts who may or may not be able to go if they are drawn. If you do not know for sure if you can use the tag or not or if you have no idea what you would do if you did draw, stay the f- out of it, or put in for the points only and give those of us who do a better shot at it. I've been putting in for sheep, moose and goat for over 20 years and havent drawn yet while I watch as some gomer who has never seen one of these critters get a tag and decides not to use it. It pisses me off to no end!!!!
Eric

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

Polarbear, thank you for answering my question regarding why the game department doesn't allow partnership permits for the multi-season tag!! OK, enough sarcasm. I didn't mean to piss anybody off. I agree with you for the most part. The highlight of spring (summer in Washington) is the anticipation of finding out what states and/or permits you will draw for the upcoming season. For those of us who cherish these permits it's very exciting to learn you've drawn and very disappointing when you learn you haven't. For somebody to draw one of the tags that I apply for and not use it is irritating. But, on the other hand, they have just as much right to apply for it as I do. What they do with it, if drawn, is up to them. I, too, have been putting in for sheep, moose, and goat for a long time with no success. Frustrating? Yes, but the only thing I can do is make sure I'm ready when my turn does come. As for declining my multi-season permit last year, I admit perhaps I hadn't thought it through completely before applying. Being a new option last year and not knowing about it until the last minute, I didn't have much time to think about it. I was glad to see they had a second drawing so it wouldn't go wasted. I didn't put in for elk multi-season last year because I knew I wouldn't use it, so I'm not out there just trying to draw every tag I can!

Again, does anybody out there know why they don't allow party applications for the multi-season permit?

Steve

It would help your draw odds if they would allow people to apply for points only for the multi season permits. Some people might not want the tag this year but if you don't put for the draw there is no way to get a point and then your one point behind everyone else. So people that just want a point put in with everyone else and if they draw they just don't but the permit and get their point that way.

I've posted this on here in the past, but last year I applied for both the deer and elk multi-season permits, drew BOTH, and didn't buy either. I don't feel bad about it whatsoever. I had just as much right to put in for it as anybody else, and with no option of applying for only a point, that's all you can do, if you think you may want to draw in the future. Now I have zero points, and I decided not to even apply for it this year anyway. I figure if I want some more hunting time, I'll buy an Oregon or Idaho tag and go hunt another state for a week.

I agree with not putting in if you don't fully intend to buy the tag. I sent the state my input this winter about fronting the $ to put in but obviously they didn't change the program. Last year they weren't able to sell all the elk tags as so many people put in but wouldn't pay up when the time came , which sucks for guys that really want one. They did a couple redraws and then ran out of time. The elk tag is statewide so it is a huge advantage come special permit apps. nwhunter

They are suppose to mail out the cards by this Friday. The internet should have it up sometime before then. Or it could be like last year and be a month late and still have only 2/3's of the people that entered into the drawing actually in the drawing. Gotta love this state.
Shane

I, for one, would like to see something in print from the WDFW that shows what you can and can't do with this permit if you draw it. I've heard people say that you can hunt any gmu with a rifle even during the permit only seasons. Others say that the elk tag is good state wide. And some say that you can apply for all four choices with different weapons and if you draw you can hunt the the gmu that you drew all three seasons. If you ask any game officer they can't give you a straight answer.
The way I understand it is: You still have to pick your weapon of choice when you buy your deer/elk tag as welll as decide east/west elk. You then apply for your special draw. Lets' say you also drew the multi-season tag. Then if you drew Cowiche any bull tag and selected rifle as your weapon choice you could hunt spikes & cows during archery season, spikes during muzzleloader season & any bull during rifle season. Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is probably why some people are not spending the other $160 bucks. The only way I would find this beneficial would be if you DIDN'T draw a branch tag and just hunted during all three general seasons. Who's going to blow a chance at a big bull with a rifle just to hunt during archery season and kill a cow?

Elkstuffer......as far as blowing your chance at a big bull with a rifle to kill a cow during archery season, that is that chance you take IF you decide to hunt archery with your Multi tag. Me having seven pts. for elk I did not even put in for the Multi-elk. Now a guy with maybe a point or two, he could be beneficial obviously.....assuming he can actually hunt with another weapon other than his trusty -06. He will shoot that cow during archery season or spike during rifle.

As far as what units, weapons, etc., you can use if drawn, pretty clear cut. Still gotta specify your weapon of choice when you purchase your tag. Lets say General Rifle Deer. You put in for your units, and draw one. Now you have a Muli-deer tag AND Late Buck tag for your favorite unit. If you hunt deer with your bow in September, all archery rules for that unit apply.....even to you. Same goes for Muzzy season. Now rifle comes along same thing.....but now you get to hunt your favorite unit in November, with a rifle, for however long your late tag season lasts.

If you do NOT fill your late buck tag with your rifle, that tag is done, BUT, now you can still go late archery deer in the units that allow late season archery hunting, ie, Swakane or whatever. But general rules apply once again. Make any sense??

muleyslyr has it right. If you draw the multi-season tag you can hunt any general season with the proper equipment(archery during archey etc.). It does allow you to put in for any limited entry permit though as well as mix an match between, rifle, muzzy and bow. For elk it allows you to hunt East and WEst as well as mix up your special permits between weapon types and east v. west. It's not that difficult of a concept in my mind, you get more general seasons with the option of putting in for more types of special permit hunts.

I drew deer and paid for it, but went to Alaska instead of using it. I killed my buck during the general with everyone else. I think it is a bit costly, and think you should front the cash and lose the money if drawn. I guess over half weren't bought the first go around.

I drew the deer multi last year and loved it! Hunted early archery, general muzz, took my nephew out for general modern and hunted late archery. Worth every penny to me and I did not even kill a deer! I put in again this year and hope to draw. I have 9 pts for deer and it would allow me to apply for just the unit I want for late mule deer and if I don't draw I still have the late archery season.

-Lowedog

Muleyslyr, That's pretty much how I understand it also. I have 10 points for elk. I hunt the west side so I applied for the elk multi-season. That way if I don't get a 3 pt or better with my bow I can hunt 3 pt or better with muzzleloader and again with rifle. I also purchase another point for the future.

Elkstuffer,
If you draw the multi season tag, it is a statewide tag, so you can hunt east or west in the same year. You can apply for your special Cowiche hunt and still hunt 3 point or better on the west side early and late archery, and if you draw the east side tag, use it during rifle or whenever the special hunt is set up for with that specific weapon. Special hunts are still that, you draw that tag for that timeperiod with that weapon, the multi tag is just general season hunts for all three weapons, statewide (only general areas though, no special GMU's). I called and the game dept is who told me about the multi being a state wide elk tag. The rest is just my interpretation as I see it (no modifying existing special hunts).

Mike

Anybody know when the draw takes place? I'd love to get either the multi-season deer or elk tag. I'm generally archery hunting this year, but I have to "chaperone" a few recreational hunters during the general buck season, so might as well have a tag. Also, I drew an eastside bull permit last year, so with no points I'm probably going to hunt the westside for elk this year. But would be nice to be able to apply for the eastside bull hunts and still be able to hunt the westside general archery season.

Not that our votes will do any good in this forum, but requiring an applicant to front the $$ for these tags makes sense to me. Make sure the successful applicant is committed. Given that WDFW had to do multiple draws last year and still didn't fill all the permits, I'm surprised they didn't go this route. I'm a glass half full guy, so I'll assume they had a good reason. Maybe they're planning to be more efficient with the re-draws this year, so they'll ultimately get to the same place where every available permit is purchased?

Also, I don't have a problem with the pricetag. Between the three weapons, you can hunt for 3+ months. +/- $160 seems like a small price for that opportunity. I welcome the chance!

I think they should either require payment up front, or have the option to apply for just a point, for those who are not sure they will be able to take advantage of the permit that year, but would like to have a better chance to draw in the future.

After reading about the multi season permit i was wondering. If you draw the permit but don't buy it do you loose your points because you drew the permit, or if you draw and don't buy the permit do you keep your points and get one for this year because you never bought the permit?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom