wackem or montech G5

R

richw

Im going on a guided elk hunt and have been hearing poor things about the G5 being casted just want to make this most succesful trip I can
Thanks Guys AND Gals
Richw

Haven't shot Wac'Ems but I have killed a bunch of pigs and a bear with Montecs and they are awesome. I have switched to G5 Strikers just because they have replacable blades. There is a guy trying to sell some on the site right now. You might want to give them a try.

There are many very good broadheads out there but the broadhead won't do a thing for you if you can't put where it needs to go.

If you can shoot either the G5 striker or Montec will never let you down - never.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-11 AT 11:52AM (MST)[p]
Never? Really? I don't like cast broadheads either, and yes, I have had them snap off on me. Right at the ferrule, TWICE! Total broadhead failure.

If you want replaceable blade heads go with something like the Wac'em or Slick Trick. Both have machined steel ferrules. If you want a solid, one-piece, go with the VPA Terminator. It's a similar design to the Montec, but MACHINED out of a solid block of steel.

Can't go wrong with either one. There are two predominate fixed blade designs floating around these days. The Montec/hellrazor/VPA terminator, and the wac'em/striker/T1 designs.
Guys on this site favor the Wack'em and VPA's. You will do fine with any one in either category.
Happy hunting!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-11 AT 06:37PM (MST)[p]wac'em all the way....had to many montechs break on me as big pig described, the montechs are casted and wac'ems are machined hands down better head, good luck!

BigPig and huntcrazyin Ca,

When did your broadheads break and what did you hit when they failed? I shoot the G5 Montec CS and have never had a head break even when I send an arrow into the rocks. I am very interested in your experiences as I do not want a failure either.

My experience with them is every animal I have shot with them has died in sight. Very good heads when placed properly.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-11 AT 10:12AM (MST)[p]
With me it happened once with a Montec and once with a Striker. The Striker I shot a small local So Cal deer. Killed the deer just fine, but I had no exit wound. Yes, I hit the shoulder blade on entry, but this was a 110lb deer and that shoulder blade shouldn't have been anything to worry about. I walked up to the dead deer and grabbed the arrow expecting to have to yank it out. It slid right out easily. I looked at the arrow and no broadhead. At first I thought it somehow came unscrewed, but I later looked closely and the ferrule was snapped off inside the arrow insert.

The other deer I was using a Montec and made a lousy shot. Hit the deer at the base of the neck/shoulder. Dropped it like a rock but it was thrashing on the ground and needed another arrow. The first arrow had the broadhead snap right off at the insert again.

Also have a buddy who had the same thing happen with a Montec on a bear that he never found (found the arrow) and a deer too.

I completely understand that some bone hits were involved here, but IMO, a ferrule of a broadhead should never break off. Maybe bend, or worst case break or bend a blade, but a broken ferrule is total failure.

Anyone ever shot G5 small game heads? Same construction, and those "arms" break off like matchsticks.

I just don't like cast metal construction. If you think about it, most experienced bowhunters wouldn't shoot a bow with a cast riser, so why shoot a cast broadhead when it is arguably the most important part of a bowhunting system? JMHO.

I'm not trying to get you to stop using something you have had success with, I just personally lost confidence in them once I had those problems and began to understand their construction method.

Slick tricks for me, and I have had very good success with them so far. Wac'ems are harder to find at the local stores, only reason I would not shoot them. They do have a good reputation.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom